Advice on Plumbing

mattshell81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to have a custom tank made for our dining room. It's open to the living room and has these window cutouts on each side where there's a small wall. This will sit in front of that wall so the tank with be visible from 3 side but only half of the tank will be visible from the back through this window. Original plan was internal overflow with an acrylic wall with teeth cut on the table saw. This is the placement of holes on the bottom left that I'm working with so far for the drains and returns. Should I be going closer or further from the due of the glass? I'm really trying to maximize my internal volume here and it almost feels like I'd have more tabk in the end if I just cut it from 58" to 54" and used a normal overflow box and just squeezed some plumbing in to the left of the tank and made something come up on the left side of the stand to hide the plumbing.

Screenshot_20220127-090215_Brave.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to have a custom tank made for our dining room. It's open to the living room and has these window cutouts on each side where there's a small wall. This will sit in front of that wall so the tank with be visible from 3 side but only half of the tank will be visible from the back through this window. Original plan was internal overflow with an acrylic wall with teeth cut on the table saw. This is the placement of holes on the bottom left that I'm working with so far for the drains and returns. Should I be going closer or further from the due of the glass? I'm really trying to maximize my internal volume here and it almost feels like I'd have more tabk in the end if I just cut it from 58" to 54" and used a normal overflow box and just squeezed some plumbing in to the left of the tank and made something come up on the left side of the stand to hide the plumbing.

Screenshot_20220127-090215_Brave.jpg
I do not have an answer on this, but can bump it and add someone who might be able to answer this for ya.

@Joe Glass Cages thoughts on this?

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought the distance had to be equal or 1.5x greater than the holes diameter. I'm not overly sure though.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have an answer on this, but can bump it and add someone who might be able to answer this for ya.

@Joe Glass Cages thoughts on this?
for sure. Thanks for looping me in @Eagle_Steve

@mattshell81 looks like your are working with Custom Aquariums. They make great tanks and should be help you with this design and their glass specs for safety and tank strength.

I can share our specs. For a divider wall overflow (i think that is what you are working on) the closest we would put the holes is 2" from the edge of the glass to the edge of hole. Same if it is a box style overflow. Below are a few pictures of our divider wall overflow. this one has 2 dry boxes for wave makers. the overflow is wrapped with black vinyl to conceal the overflow visually from the outside of the tank. there is one picture looking down into the overflow. this one may be helpful to look at. let me know if have any question. really like to help get the tank of your dreams and custom aquariums can do it for sure for you. if you are they have questions, let me know. My pleasure to help.

IMG_3334.jpg

IMG_3342.jpg

IMG_3346.jpg

loglew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for sure. Thanks for looping me in @Eagle_Steve

@mattshell81 looks like your are working with Custom Aquariums. They make great tanks and should be help you with this design and their glass specs for safety and tank strength.

I can share our specs. For a divider wall overflow (i think that is what you are working on) the closest we would put the holes is 2" from the edge of the glass to the edge of hole. Same if it is a box style overflow. Below are a few pictures of our divider wall overflow. this one has 2 dry boxes for wave makers. the overflow is wrapped with black vinyl to conceal the overflow visually from the outside of the tank. there is one picture looking down into the overflow. this one may be helpful to look at. let me know if have any question. really like to help get the tank of your dreams and custom aquariums can do it for sure for you. if you are they have questions, let me know. My pleasure to help.

IMG_3334.jpg

IMG_3342.jpg

IMG_3346.jpg
@Joe Glass Cages why am I loving this design? ;Happy

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back