Advise on getting a clam?

benha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the color on maxima clams and would love to get one. I heard they can be challenging to keep alive and absorb large amounts of calcium. If I have had success with sps corals, should I be okay with getting a clam?

Thanks!

OP
OP
B

benha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 40 gallon tank with stable parameters. Not sure if my tank would be too small for a clam.. Heres a pic:
IMG_2184.JPG
I'm thinking of investing in a dosing system to keep things in check...

Need more info on your tank

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also go with one of the hardier clams like a derasa if youre at all worried. Also, all aquacultured clams are hardier than wild or maricultured clams, they are more accepting to the 'unnatural' light they receive in a reef tank (in the wild obviously they receive sunlight, in a tank they receive man made lights that mimic sunlight.)

catfishblues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a doser is usually a good idea because it keeps it very stable. I've had a few clams with almost no troubles (one got pinched mantle but a fw dip cured it). They like same parameters as coral and like somewhat higher light but I've had success in moderate light. You have enough light and I'd say you'd be fine getting a Maxima, get an aquacultured one then show us pics! [emoji106]

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your first clam I'd recommend a derasa or squamosa. It will take a while to really notice a difference in calcium consumption so I would'nt go buying more equipment just yet. FWIW, we had 6 clams going in a 75 with one being 12" and still manually dosed. Lighting will be a key factor with clam success. I like to visually inspect clams before purchase otherwise try ordering from a reputable retailer like pacific east aquaculture, ORA, etc. Maxima clams can be tougher due to there lighting requirements.

Last edited:

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are recommended tank sizes for species of clams

Depends on stability. If you had a 30 gallon tank with perfect levels 24/7, anything would do fine (this is excluding the size the calm will grow to). However, in reality this is rarely the case. Larger tanks are easier to keep stable. I dont have a definite number for you, but i would say a 40br would be ok as long as levels are good. But prob 75 or above for most.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are recommended tank sizes for species of clams
You can grow a clam in smaller tanks as long as parameters are kept stable and the uptake is met including proper lighting requirements. The issue would be rehoming or upgrading the tank once the clam out grew the space.

Hogan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With clams, the smaller they are the more sensitive they are. Also, when you first get one, make sure you "burp" it to get any air out of it. Also, make sure you check it thoroughly for pyramid snails and polyclad flatworms (these tricky suckers look just like the mantle.)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%
Back