AEFW - confirmed, going to just restart

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

thankfully I only have a few small frags left. Like four. Honestly, it’s not worth the risk of buying more frags so I’d rather throw everything out and just wait.
Questions:

how long for all AEFW to starve in the display? I’m thinking of going 90 days “fallow.”

Do AEFW attack montipora caps and cyphastrea?

this whole time I thought I had a nutrient issue, but upon my fifth dip, found eggs on a Walt Disney that was doing awesome and died this week.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

thankfully I only have a few small frags left. Like four. Honestly, it’s not worth the risk of buying more frags so I’d rather throw everything out and just wait.
Questions:

how long for all AEFW to starve in the display? I’m thinking of going 90 days “fallow.”

Do AEFW attack montipora caps and cyphastrea?

this whole time I thought I had a nutrient issue, but upon my fifth dip, found eggs on a Walt Disney that was doing awesome and died this week.
With such a short reproduction cycle, I have to think that 60 or even 30 days should do. Remove any encrustments of course.

And no, these are very species specific -- sometimes they will only feed on certain acropora and not others.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With such a short reproduction cycle, I have to think that 60 or even 30 days should do. Remove any encrustments of course.

And no, these are very species specific -- sometimes they will only feed on certain acropora and not others.
Thank you, I’ll go for 60 to be extra safe and I’ll epoxy over any remaining bases on the rocks.

I noticed that they left my millie alone for a long time and the Walt. They started with the slimer then the tricolor. Then just hammered away at everything super nice.
It took five dips to finally see eggs, insane.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I’ll go for 60 to be extra safe and I’ll epoxy over any remaining bases on the rocks.

I noticed that they left my millie alone for a long time and the Walt. They started with the slimer then the tricolor. Then just hammered away at everything super nice.
It took five dips to finally see eggs, insane.
Did the dips reveal the worms themselves? I find the eggs super difficult to see with my boomer eyes. My son can see them across the room though, so...

The best dip my a mile is potassium chloride (KCl) at 1 tbls per gallon. It does not stun AEFW. It absolutely melts them and leaves acros perfectly happy.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the dips reveal the worms themselves? I find the eggs super difficult to see with my boomer eyes. My son can see them across the room though, so...

The best dip my a mile is potassium chloride (KCl) at 1 tbls per gallon. It does not stun AEFW. It absolutely melts them and leaves acros perfectly happy.
I feel like they’re super tiny flatworms . I’ve only caught one that was decently sized. The dip reveals a bunch of circular tiny ones though, and the eggs I have to really look with a flashlight but they’re definitely AEFW eggs.
I’ve been using the Red Sea coral dip, but thinking of switching back to Bayer. I hate Bayer because I can’t see anything. Where do you get KCl?

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use Brightwell Potassion-P powder at 10 g/L tank water for 5 minutes. It mixes clear so you can see what dies and is lethal to everything except eggs and copepods that hide in polyps.

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the potassion powder comparable to, or the same as a "kci" dip?
It’s dry potassium chloride/potassium sulphate. The concentration I list is saturated in sea water, which is why I use 5 minutes for max dipping time (e.g. this is the max strength dip).

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back