AEFW - My long journey

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wandering how things are going... I have read thread after thread how every one is losing there whole tank when they do this in tank treatment..:(. I would just set a another tank dip every acro and place them in the temp home.... Dip 2 or 3 times while leaving the display fallow for 8 weeks while one last dip and close inspection for eggs before returning them to the display... That sucks guys I was hoping it worked..:( hopefully they find something soon that is more promising...

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok just got some Bayer Advanced insect killer and dipped for 15 min. got 2 aefw from the other valida and I got a bonsai and a no name acro on a LR and got 4 from that one. Didn't notice any eggs but I'll keep watching...
not out of the woods yet..

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for missing flesh around the base of any acro that's where the eggs will be...:( man seems to be the big thing right now or just more people are sharing that they have it.... I have dealt with them numerous times in my frag tank but that's simple to cure if its a mini colony infested I normally toss it and don't risk it.... Knock on wood I haven't dealt with them in my display...:sad:

Joe Knows Reefs

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man this is like my worst nightmare...I love my SPS tank. At least I know there is a useful thread if I ever encounter them...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look at it as it's one more thing that makes a sps tank even more special.... It's a ton of work to have a sps tank and that's just one of the chores that's goes with keeping a successful one.... Proper dipping and quarantine procedures... I got lucky in the beginning I guess by just dipping new arrivals and tossing anything with a worm it was when I set up quarantine tank and saved pieces with worms that turned into a chore...:sad: prolly not the coolest thing to do but I didn't have any way of saving them at the time.. I figured one dead piece is better than 100 six months down the road rather it's logical or not idk...

Bandomo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you kidding me!!! I just finished reading this 7 page thread as a tool for increasing my reef keeping skills. My tank consists of (in descending order) Zoa's/Paly's, Favias, Blastos, Chalices, and then finally my 2 lonely SPS frags. I was convinced my 2 lonely healthly looking SPS frags couldn't be victim to AEFW at such an early stage of my new tank build. After all, I dip all my frags in lugols solution for 15 minutes followed by a concentrated Flat Worm Exit dip for an additional 10 minutes. Well, after the curiosity of reading this 7 page thread and taking a look at my 2 frags, load and behold, my 2 frags are covered in AEFW :(
I'm not exactly sure what method I'll put in place to eradicate these pests, but I sure am HAPPY i caught this really early on. GREAT THREAD!!

OP
OP
ronnie

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
With only two frags, you could feasibly dip them and keep them in the display.

I'd recommend using the Bayer Interceptor and dipping every 5 days. I've used 10ml in 1/2 cup of water for 5 minutes with great success on several frags. I'd do this for eight weeks minimum.

For the future, I'd seriously consider setting up a QT and running everything you add to your tank through it. That means rock, sand, crabs, snails, coral, fish, etc....

Bandomo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly is Bayer Interceptor, how does it look, and where can I purchase it? Will CoralRx work? Thanks for the info!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn't be a huge deal then just dip the 2 and scrape the eggs off and follow up with a few dips over the next couple weeks... Those 2 pieces will be a magnet for the worms and you have a very limited food supply there for I don't see a infestation in your future it should be simple enough....;)
Are you kidding me!!! I just finished reading this 7 page thread as a tool for increasing my reef keeping skills. My tank consists of (in descending order) Zoa's/Paly's, Favias, Blastos, Chalices, and then finally my 2 lonely SPS frags. I was convinced my 2 lonely healthly looking SPS frags couldn't be victim to AEFW at such an early stage of my new tank build. After all, I dip all my frags in lugols solution for 15 minutes followed by a concentrated Flat Worm Exit dip for an additional 10 minutes. Well, after the curiosity of reading this 7 page thread and taking a look at my 2 frags, load and behold, my 2 frags are covered in AEFW :(
I'm not exactly sure what method I'll put in place to eradicate these pests, but I sure am HAPPY i caught this really early on. GREAT THREAD!!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly is Bayer Interceptor, how does it look, and where can I purchase it? Will CoralRx work? Thanks for the info!

Yeah coral rx or revive will get the job done there just a little harsh compared to the Bauer insecticide according to ronnies find... Hth

Bandomo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I'm not worried. I should be moving in the next couple of months and therefore have to brake down the tank anyways. More importantly, is learning how to treat/prevent this from happening once I start my SPS collection. So far I've been mostly working on collecting Z's and P's.

On a side note, I was lucky enough to hear Joe Yaiullo form Atlantic Marine World speak at one of our Florida Marine Aquarium Society meetings. He had AEFW in his 20,000 gallon tank! His solution was to dive in with his snorkel gear and a garden hose connected to his RO/DI. He would forcefully spray his SPS with freshwater, once the AEFW went airborne, the fishes had a feast.

At the end of his presentation, he did a David Letterman's Top Ten List: "You know you have a big tank when".....
- You climb a letter to reach the top of your skimmer
- You use a garden hose to spray your tank
- You use a 400watt bulb as a moon light

I forgot the rest, but it was pretty darn funny.

Back