OP
ronnie

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
10ml per cup for 10 minutes every six days.

I went back and read and you could push the dosage to 20ml per cup if you see the buggers still moving. I think the version I had this time was much more docile than the ones I had a few years ago.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just adding my experience to the mix...SO, I found out I had AEFW shortly after adding a ton of frags to my relatively still young tank. I did not QT any of them before adding them, so its totally my fault I got them. At first I thought I had caught them early enough to not have to treat the whole tank. But, after several months of poor colors and virtually no growth, I realized the problem was a lot worse than I thought. So, I decided to take all the acros out of my tank and place them in a separate quarantine system for treatment. Luckily this was fairly easy to do since the frags were still for the most part not even encrusting onto my rock work yet. I dipped them all weekly in Revive. Lost a few right off the bat. Later lost more. I also treated with Bayer once as well. I left them all in the QT for around 4-5 weeks. I had planned on keeping them in there longer, but the frags I had left were not doing well in QT because the conditions in that tank were not good and they were so stressed from all the dipping. I was convinced that I would lose them all if I left them in there any longer. So, about 3 weeks ago I decided to go ahead and place them all back in the tank along with a few new additions.
Today I am happy to report that it appears I have beat the AEFW! My corals colors are coming back beautifully. Better than they ever were before. They are all starting to grow again and have fully extended polyps and are getting better everyday. There are some frags that are showing beautiful colors and polyp extension that never did so before (I have a rainbow mili that was literally white and I almost threw it away, but gave it a chance and now its starting to look absolutely gorgeous!). I have a small frag of JF Flame Acro that I thought was completely dead while in QT. Again, almost threw it away, but when I was transferring everything I saw that there was still some live tissue so I thought "what the heck, I'll give it one last chance." Its encrusting again and regaining its colors!! I'm super super excited.

I still feel like its a little early to say I'm 100% sure I completely got them, but so far all signs are pointing towards total eradication. I figure if I had any AEFW left, my corals wouldn't be responding as well as they are right now. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the corals continue to thrive and the colors continue to get better.

However, at this point, if things continue to improve, I'm not adding anything else to this tank (if I can help it:)). I don't ever want to go through that again and I already have an AWESOME collection of corals, so as long as they grow out like they are now, I'll be totally pleased with this tank. If I want more, I'll just have to get another (and bigger tank!)

I will try to post photos of my corals when I get a chance to take some good shots, but it will probably be awhile before I get around to that.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here I am another 2+ weeks since my last post and things are still looking great. Great colors, growth, and polyp extension! Keeping my fingers crossed that it continues!

Greg79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did bayer 10 ml per cup,then right away iodine dip 1 drop per 100ml for aefw and nudis to all new arrival,then 3 days with lower flow and light
never lost single frag and one more time after 5-6 days just to make sure

mocika

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I DIP mine 4 acros (tropic marine pro-coral cure) that arent looking good for more than a 3 weeks and i found more than 40-50 AEFW. I have 20 acros with different size and im planing to setup quarantine tank. Ones per week i want to DIP them and after every DIP return them in QT for a period of 8 weeks (i hope this is enough for main tank to be free from acros so thay die) . Im reading a lot abouth treatment and i have some questions:

- Does FW atacking Milleopora coral? Should i remove Milles and quaranitine them too?
- Should i remove crabs from 2 acros (where thay will live in next 6-8 weeks) or no?
- Should i have live rock in my QT in that period for better filtration?
- Is running skimmer necessary for a period of this period? Im planing to change 20% watter change ones per week (watter from my main tank).
- If i took water from main tank and fill my QT, is QT ready for use?

Tnx for the help? I Hope i will save my acros from FW.

Greg79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aefw definitely eats millis
Remove Acro crabs before dipping(dip will kill them right away)
Yes keep rocks in your QT
Not sure about skimmer but put some carbon in there(some dip may left on your acros)
If it's water from your system I would do more then 20% WC every week
If you took water and some rocks from your system QT should be ready to go
I think it's more then 8 weeks to starve them to death after you remove all your acros
Some eggs hatch couple weeks
This is long journey to get rid of these *******s
Hope it helps l

Moonlightreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sad to say today i found out i have AEFW after dipping on of my acro :(
my long journey starts today , i have 30 plus different sps to deal with including 5 RR pieces , please wish be good luck . Bayers here i come lol

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sad to say today i found out i have AEFW after dipping on of my acro :(
my long journey starts today , i have 30 plus different sps to deal with including 5 RR pieces , please wish be good luck . Bayers here i come lol

Hope you got a Coral QT setup, only way to win the battle and being ready for having no SPS in the DT for 6 weeks.
Good luck my friend.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you already there.
If you got AEFW you have to take them out of your DT, if not you'll never get rid of it.
You can dip your corals to kill the AEFW but you ain't killing the eggs.
AEFW laying their eggs on and in your rocks too, after long research by Cat Dybala and Kate Rawlingson it was proven you can't thread them without a QT tank.

mocika

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep acros away from DT more than 8 weeks. I keep mine 7 weeks. Doing Dip every week and my acros was free but FW somehow survive in DT. Also put one yellow coris wrasse in QT. Also dosing some AA for food in QT becouse u dont put any fish food that provide food for corals.

Moonlightreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to share my idea hoping this will work since i have no QT .
So i made a frag rack for all my sps and after dipping them in the Bayers i put them on the rack . The rack is pretty much flouting in the water without touching any rock or glass and im planing to keep this way for about 2 months while is easy for me to just get the acros and dip them every week . This way if there is any AEFW in tank they wont be able to get to the corals and hopefully this will starve them to dead . Please let me know what do you guys thing of this idea and if i have any chance this way . plus just added a yellow coris wrasse for more clean up .

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1435624991.815155.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1435625003.699569.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1435625011.675073.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1435625021.124636.jpg

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell if this helps, but at least you doing something.
Remember to remove all encrusting's and left overs from rocks, tank needs to be completely clean of SPS. Monti's don't count.

Moonlightreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell if this helps, but at least you doing something.
Remember to remove all encrusting's and left overs from rocks, tank needs to be completely clean of SPS. Monti's don't count.

I scabbed all the encrustings of the rocks . Killed every leftovers completely to make sure there is no food for them . Question should i dip this coral in the picture ?
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1435626162.261074.jpg

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take the setosa out but the green Psammocora (Kelly green) is ok. AEFW won't touch that.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back