AF Life Source

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just begun using AF Life Source and am wondering how many others use it and how often? What benefits have you experienced? Can it be used with carbon dosing? Does it increase nutrients? I’m interested in finding more information about it — there’s not much online.

I’m also wondering how your fish tolerate it. I’ve noticed mine flicking when I dose it, I’m guessing b/c of particles in the water. Kinda has me scared.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve just begun using AF Life Source and am wondering how many others use it and how often? What benefits have you experienced? Can it be used with carbon dosing? Does it increase nutrients? I’m interested in finding more information about it — there’s not much online.

I’m also wondering how your fish tolerate it. I’ve noticed mine flicking when I dose it, I’m guessing b/c of particles in the water. Kinda has me scared.
I use it and am running out. I see it went up about $10 and of course im running low on it. Been using it for 2+ years and I cannot pinpoint which specific corals are benefiting, but can say they look much better since applying it to tank.
It is recommended to dilute it and pour into water flow. I add mine through sump.

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it and am running out. I see it went up about $10 and of course im running low on it. Been using it for 2+ years and I cannot pinpoint which specific corals are benefiting, but can say they look much better since applying it to tank.
It is recommended to dilute it and pour into water flow. I add mine through sump.
Maybe I’ll try through sump. I do dilute it so it’s essentially a water mix and pour it in front of the return nozzle. I wonder if maybe I’m thinking I’m mixing it enough but am not, or am maybe accidentally dosing too much.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using it only for a couple months. It was pretty freaky when I first dosed it. Fish freaked out a bit mainly because it was like an eclipse of the sun so now I dose after lights out. I only do a half dose every couple of weeks. Too short term to make a judgement on it but I did notice my euphyllia and mushrooms were huge after the first dose. Nutrients haven’t changed and I’ve seen no negative affects so far.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Maybe I’ll try through sump. I do dilute it so it’s essentially a water mix and pour it in front of the return nozzle. I wonder if maybe I’m thinking I’m mixing it enough but am not, or am maybe accidentally dosing too much.
I too dose a little below recommended.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Life source is simple mud from ocean. It contain everything from pollutant to microbes. I used it when it was launched for straight 2 years. If you do add regular bacterial supplements then you really don't need.

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I def notice some of the corals looking very happy sine I dosed this. I have a new Duncan that came a sort of blah blue/gray color and now is open like crazy with bright green coloring developing on its face.

Aside from that, the fish were noticeably bothered, and the flicking continued in bouts for a few days until I did a water change. Slightly cloudy water persisted and my filter sock and skimmer were pulling so much sludge. I was also surprised how much mud and silt I cleaned from sand, rocks, and my macroalgae during water change — this was three days later.

So yeah — half dose, added through sump sounds like a better plan going forward. And I will probably only do this once a month.

I’d hoped to use this product to establish good biodiversity in my tank, and I’m still hopeful it will do that. But a little goes a long way.

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested your phosphate after adding it?
I added it last weekend for the first time and noticed my Phosphate went from 0.07 the Friday before adding it to 0.14 the Tuesday after adding it.
Wonder if this was the cause

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested your phosphate after adding it?
I added it last weekend for the first time and noticed my Phosphate went from 0.07 the Friday before adding it to 0.14 the Tuesday after adding it.
Wonder if this was the cause
I tested the next day and phosphate was where it normally is for me, .06. My nitrates were high tho and I wondered if it had something to do w/it or was just a coincidence.

I def added too much. Went to change out my bag of Chemipure and when I pulled it out, it was caked with mud. There’s mud on my sand a week later, too. But the fish are acting normal again.

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulling this back up b/c I finally dosed again and am really happy w/how it went:

Half the recommended dose, into the return section of the sump, after lights out.

No flicking or distressed fish, everything went smoothly. Very happy!

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a bag and tbh I didn't notice any positive or negative effects. I prefer mud I dig out of the ocean myself at this point. I will say af life source is really good for growing mangroves in but so is self collected mud.

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a bag and tbh I didn't notice any positive or negative effects. I prefer mud I dig out of the ocean myself at this point. I will say af life source is really good for growing mangroves in but so is self collected mud.
Honestly I will say I do like the product, but I haven't noticed any profoundly amazing (or negative for that matter) effects either. I bought it to add more biodiversity to my tank b/c I did not start with live rock, so I wasn't particularly aiming for or expecting some overnight miracle where my corals are all dancing and singing or anything.

acabgd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was interested in AF Life Source since it first appeared on the market. Used it on/off for some time then kinda forgot about it. Then I bought another box and started adding it once a week (one spoon/cup which is included) and my corals looked very good. However, I wasn't sure it was to be attributed to AF Life Source.

I then stopped using it, again forgetting about it (nothing intentional, just forgot, it was in the back of my cupboard hidden somewhere). And the corals didn't look that good actually. I wouldn't say things went downhill but it just wasn't as good as it was.

I just started using it again to try to get back to the old glory days and to try to confirm that at least a part of the benefit is due to AF Life Source.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was interested in AF Life Source since it first appeared on the market. Used it on/off for some time then kinda forgot about it. Then I bought another box and started adding it once a week (one spoon/cup which is included) and my corals looked very good. However, I wasn't sure it was to be attributed to AF Life Source.

I then stopped using it, again forgetting about it (nothing intentional, just forgot, it was in the back of my cupboard hidden somewhere). And the corals didn't look that good actually. I wouldn't say things went downhill but it just wasn't as good as it was.

I just started using it again to try to get back to the old glory days and to try to confirm that at least a part of the benefit is due to AF Life Source.
I went ahead and got some

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm using it primarily to increase my bacteria diversity to help mature my newish tank more quickly. Also, I'm not a fan of medications and prefer to boost the fish's immune system so it can naturally fight off most sicknesses due to the diverse probiotic bacterial strains.

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using it primarily to increase my bacteria diversity to help mature my newish tank more quickly. Also, I'm not a fan of medications and prefer to boost the fish's immune system so it can naturally fight off most sicknesses due to the diverse probiotic bacterial strains.
I have nothing but anecdotal evidence for this but I do think it works for biodiversity/tank maturation. One thing I have noticed since I started using it s that my water is CRYSTAL clear. I mean such a high level of clear that I was surprised b/c I thought it always looked clear before.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nothing but anecdotal evidence for this but I do think it works for biodiversity/tank maturation. One thing I have noticed since I started using it s that my water is CRYSTAL clear. I mean such a high level of clear that I was surprised b/c I thought it always looked clear before.
I've noticed the same and judging by the smell and the location it was collected from, it must have plenty of bacteria in it...that methane smell comes from bacterial activity.

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed the same and judging by the smell and the location it was collected from, it must have plenty of bacteria in it...that methane smell comes from bacterial activity.
I've been trying to find it. BRS says that it is discontinued and a couple other online stores. Is it still available?

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose it bi-weekly. Ive generally noticed that after dosing it my corals look much more full and colorful the next day.
My fish get a little distressed it seems with the cloud coming down over them. Currently I dose directly into the power head - but reading the above maybe I should dose it into the sump.

I think its beneficial - although its hard to say how beneficial.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back