AF OceanGuard 790 Protein Skimmer Selection

Caleb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I recently picked up an Aquaforest OceanGuard 790 from another reefer. (5’x2’x2’) As I’m planning this build, I can’t decide what protein skimmer to purchase. I had planned on buying a Reef Octopus Classic 202-S. However, the skimmer section of the AF sump is not large enough for it. I am now considering the Red Sea RSK 600, the Bubble Magus Curve 9 Elite, and the Reef Octopus Regal 200 SSS. Can anyone give me some input on any of these skimmers?

The display tank is 155 Gallons and total water volume is 209 Gallons according to BRS. I do plan to have a heavily stocked tank. Thanks in advance for any input!

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years I've had a range of skimmers, starting with inexpensive to a Bubble King on a 150 SPS Reef. The best decision I ever made was buying an Ultra Reef. They are built like tanks, you can buy DC models or add DC's conversions they have available, and the performance is the best I have ever seen. This thing just keeps skimming, I never have to mess with it. If it's in the budget I'd take a serious look at Ultra Reef.

OP
OP
C

Caleb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Over the years I've had a range of skimmers, starting with inexpensive to a Bubble King on a 150 SPS Reef. The best decision I ever made was buying an Ultra Reef. They are built like tanks, you can buy DC models or add DC's conversions they have available, and the performance is the best I have ever seen. This thing just keeps skimming, I never have to mess with it. If it's in the budget I'd take a serious look at Ultra Reef.
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, the Ultra Reef skimmers are a bit out of my price range. The only reason I can consider a Reef Octopus is due to the current 20% off sale lol.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back