• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

African Cespitularia for trade

workn4frags

Cespitularia Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bluexenia.jpg

2cesp.jpg

topview.jpg

I have a few stalks of Cespitularia ( Blue Xenia ) up for trade, I posted in the for sale before I realized there was a trade forum. Looking for anything cool and unusual. Yes this is the one with the gold specks, just not a good photog. If a light is shined from the side you can see the specks. I will work on more pics.

Wish list:
Colorful Yumas
Exotic SPS or LPS

LMK what you have, I can offer up some cash to make up the difference if it is something really cool.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
OP
OP
workn4frags

workn4frags

Cespitularia Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been farming this species for a number of years now. There are 2 species that I know of, Bali/Indo and the E. African. I farm the E. African strain. I have seen a ton of the Indo/Bali strain at the wholesalers in Calif. and it dose not compare (more pink to it). The gold flecks (spicules) are not there, the polyps are not gold. I believe it is found deeper than the African strain. On the African strain you still have to shine a light (or flash) from the side to see the flecks. Lighting and h2o quality seem to play a part in the spicules also. Lg. Colonies you find in the stores are more than likely coming from Indo/Bali via the L.A. wholesalers.

I know when I had my display with black sand black back and sides with light coming in only from the top and front I could see the spicules more clearly. What I am getting at is that you will see blue all the time but the spicules are not as easy to see. Under intense light the polyps will turn gold and it may be easier to see the gold flecking.

Over the last couple of yrs. I have sold many pieces directly and indirectly, probably to alot of people now selling their frags on this and other forums. They are very similar and with high light I would guess the Indo/Bali strain can look very close to the E. African strain.

Please don't think this coral will always show its gold flecking, otherwise you will be disappointed. I will try and get some pics with a flashlight shinning on one end so you can see the difference.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does it spread like pink xenia and is it noticeably blue?

Thanks.

OP
OP
workn4frags

workn4frags

Cespitularia Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and Yes, Pink Xenia (Red Sea) doesn't grow quite as fast but it does spread by throwing off new feet, likes to walk like traditional xenia also. What I've noticed is if you are looking at it from the top it looks bluer. If you have it at the top or above eye level it is lighter. The angle of the light makes a differance.

Top picture is looking slightly upwards.

Mid picture is dead on

Bottom is from top down, didn't mean to post them like that but it kinda gives you the idea of how the angle makes a difference.

Last edited:

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried Cepistularia a couple times without success. I've been able to keep every other coral genus (over 50) I've had, but no luck with this one. Any pointers? I'd possibly be interested if I knew what was going wrong.

Tank parameters:
Temp: 76-78
pH: 8.0-8.2
Calcium: 450 ppm
dKH: 8-9
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: ~5 ppm
Lighting: 20000K MH bulbs pushing 3-4W/gal
Carbon is kept fresh and the tank is well skimmed.

OP
OP
workn4frags

workn4frags

Cespitularia Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where were you getting them from? The stuff from Indo/Bali was coming in very rough. At least this is what I saw at the wholesalers and the LFS in CA. If you can keep other xenias you should be able to keep this. This particular strain I am farming has been captive raised for about 5 yrs. now by me, and at least kept in captivity for a year in my friends tank before he broke it down and gave it to me.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These were also aquacultured pieces.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 23 50.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back