After dark...big bugs messing with my palys

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Joined
Nov 18, 2012
Messages
40,646
Reaction score
67,844
Location
Fontana, California
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys,

I shined a light on my reef ast night after the lights had gone off, and I saw some large bug looking things around one of my palys...I'm thinking that might not be a good thing. What can I use to kill them? Will anything eat them?
 
Anybody know what they are? I'm thinking maybe some type of isopod (is that what it's called?) are they harmful? They're definitely nocturnal, and they were all around my sunny D palys. They're like the size of a small cerith snail.
 
Probably Amphipods, I have them and mine don't bother anything but some report them eating polyps. I have a six line also and he keeps them at bay, I have seen him eat some that he had to rip in half to get down.
 
How old is your tank and what kind of fish you got in there?
If what not I guess without pics that they are pods.
Get some wrasses and the big pods will be gone in no time.
No problem for you palys.
Btw, are your palys still open at lights off?
 
How old is your tank and what kind of fish you got in there?
If what not I guess without pics that they are pods.
Get some wrasses and the big pods will be gone in no time.
No problem for you palys.
Btw, are your palys still open at lights off?

Tank was upgraded a couple of months ago from a 55 to a 180. I have two tangs and two clowns. I'm pretty sure that they're amphipods of some kind. My palys are closed with lights off.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
 
Last edited:
Amphipods most likely and they are harmless. They will eat dead tissue from zoas & palys but not healthy living tissue. Great food source for our fish and a great member of our cuc.


Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
 
bought a mandarin goby today, and will be getting a wrasse tomorrow.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new