AGA 125 Gallon Aquarium Mixed Reef Office Build

Fishgeek88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello All,

Thought I would document my new build. I've been a lurker for several years but decided why not post progress of my new build. A little about me, I've been a longtime reefer since about 2003-04ish. Throughout the years I've worked at fish stores, done aquarium design and maintenance etc etc. I'm at the point now where it's not really burnout but I'm not super into the hobby like I use to be...if that makes sense. I still enjoy fish tanks but prefer simplicity and tried and true methods as oppose to experimenting with the new trends and going out to buy new equipment all the time.

For the past few years I have had two aquariums in my home office. A JBJ AIO 65 and a JBJ AIO 45. Both are super easy to maintain and have very little tech involved. With that being said two tanks was too much lol. The 45 gallon was shut down due to me not maintaining it and it sat empty for about 6 months. Fast forward to about a month ago my 65 gallon is actually running really well and I am running out of space. While I was thinking about possibly getting a little bit bigger aquarium, a LFS went out of business and auctioned off their new in stock aquariums. I ended up winning a 125 gallon set up and decided to swap out the tanks in my office. So here we are...

Pic of the old 65 and 45 JBJ a few months after being set up.

unnamed.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

Above photo is the tanks as of a few weeks ago. I ended up moving the 65 gallon over to my spare bedroom. I will keep it running until the 125 is set up and good to go. The 45 gallon got listed on FB marketplace and sold in a day...couldn't believe how fast it was gone.

And here is the 65 gallon in its temporary spot. That was a really fun day. Drained, moved the tank and reset back up and then brought the 125 gallon in from the garage. Was a little tired and sore that night lol.

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

And here is the 125 Gallon in its final resting spot. Even as I am typing this a few things are already done. I cleaned it out really well (it was super dusty and dirty from sitting) ...I have also been sorting through my bins of used stuff to see what I have and what I need.

Anyhow stay tuned for more!

Last edited:

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

Thought I would document my new build. I've been a lurker for several years but decided why not post progress of my new build. A little about me, I've been a longtime reefer since about 2003-04ish. Throughout the years I've worked at fish stores, done aquarium design and maintenance etc etc. I'm at the point now where it's not really burnout but I'm not super into the hobby like I use to be...if that makes sense. I still enjoy fish tanks but prefer simplicity and tried and true methods as oppose to experimenting with the new trends and going out to buy new equipment all the time.

For the past few years I have had two aquariums in my home office. A JBJ AIO 65 and a JBJ AIO 45. Both are super easy to maintain and have very little tech involved. With that being said two tanks was too much lol. The 45 gallon was shut down due to me not maintaining it and it sat empty for about 6 months. Fast forward to about a month ago my 65 gallon is actually running really well and I am running out of space. While I was thinking about possibly getting a little bit bigger aquarium, a LFS went out of business and auctioned off their new in stock aquariums. I ended up winning a 125 gallon set up and decided to swap out the tanks in my office. So here we are...

Pic of the old 65 and 45 JBJ a few months after being set up.

unnamed.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

Above photo is the tanks as of a few weeks ago. I ended up moving the 65 gallon over to my spare bedroom. I will keep it running until the 125 is set up and good to go. The 45 gallon got listed on FB marketplace and sold in a day...couldn't believe how fast it was gone.

And here is the 65 gallon in its temporary spot. That was a really fun day. Drained, moved the tank and reset back up and then brought the 125 gallon in from the garage. Was a little tired and sore that night lol.

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

And here is the 125 Gallon in its final resting spot. Even as I am typing this a few things are already done. I cleaned it out really well (it was super dusty and dirty from sitting) ...I have also been sorting through my bins of used stuff to see what I have and what I need.

Anyhow stay tuned for more!
Best of luck with the 125 Gallon!!! The 65 looked terrific, to begin with!! So I can't wait to see the progress on the 125-gallon!!

OP
OP
Fishgeek88

Fishgeek88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A little update. Ordered some matte black auto vinyl on Amazon and covered the back of the tank.

unnamed.jpg
unnamed (1).jpg

OP
OP
Fishgeek88

Fishgeek88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Started gathering up some equipment. I thought had a used complete 25 Watt Aqua UV in a parts bin, all I had was the body so I ordered a new quartz sleeve, cap, bulb, and ballast...still cheaper than a new one. Pulled out the old Vertex 150 protein skimmer pulled it apart and cleaned it up. The impeller was toast so just ordered a new one of those. I also ordered a Trigger Systems Crystal 36 sump so when that comes in I can start plumbing later this week.
IMG-4164.jpg
IMG-4166.jpg

OP
OP
Fishgeek88

Fishgeek88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Update:

So I like I said earlier the tank was purchased from auction so the stand had some nicks that need to be repaired. I will have to get some wood putty I think its the Marineland red oak finish.

unnamed.jpg
unnamed (1).jpg

The stand is made by Marineland and the tank is Aqueon so the overflow placement was different. Went ahead and cut out new holes for the overflow plumbing.

unnamed (2).jpg
unnamed (3).jpg

OP
OP
Fishgeek88

Fishgeek88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Filter showed up today. Just a basic Trigger Systems Crystal 36. This was a blemish model direct from manufacturer, could not beat the price. Ordering the final plumbing parts today.

unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fishgeek88

Fishgeek88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Put the filter in the stand, fits perfectly. The impeller came in for the skimmer pump. Installed that and put the skimmer in the filter. I am not doing a refugium so I put the skimmer in that chamber. Dug out my old top off container, vinyled the back to match and installed that as well.
IMG-4215.jpg
IMG-4216.jpg

OP
OP
Fishgeek88

Fishgeek88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Did some more digging in the parts bin. I had an old Gyre that needed magnets and a controller. A very nice member on here gave me the parts to get that running. Cleaned it up and put that on the tank. Its going to be a pretty open aquascape so I am hoping the gyre and the two returns will be adequate flow...if not I can always grab another wavemaker or two.
unnamed.jpg

OP
OP
Fishgeek88

Fishgeek88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Update: Sand came in this weekend. I really prefer barebottom in my tanks but Aqueons overflows make them look weird imo...so got a couple dry bags of aragonite.
IMG-4218.jpg
IMG-4219.jpg

OP
OP
Fishgeek88

Fishgeek88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Getting some rock together. I painted some dry rock I had laying around. Two different purples. It takes a few days for the paint to cure completely. I know there is debate to this, I like doing this to bare rock helps break up the ugly phase while algae covers it and before corals grow in.
IMG-4222.jpg
IMG-4223.jpg
IMG-4225.jpg
IMG-4229.jpg
IMG-4230.jpg

OP
OP
Fishgeek88

Fishgeek88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Light update: The plan with the tank is to do 3x 60" Orphek OR3 light bars. I am still waiting on two of the lights but decided to mount the one I already had. I bought some aluminum brackets and mounted to the bar. My canopy has a 1" gap that runs lengthwise..probably for venting. I used some little metal brackets and ran some bolts from the hardware store to sandwich the canopy...kinda nice no drilling or direct mounting.

IMG-4232.jpg
IMG-4233.jpg
IMG-4231.jpg

And a FTS with the single light bar on.

IMG-4228.jpg

OP
OP
Fishgeek88

Fishgeek88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I got both return lines and the dursos built and installed. The dursos are probably a little high but I wanted to have the tank running before I cut them down a tad.
unnamed.jpg

OP
OP
Fishgeek88

Fishgeek88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Jinxed myself. I've been saying lately how reliable UPS has been...well two orders are currently mia hopefully they randomly show up within the next few days.

OP
OP
Fishgeek88

Fishgeek88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My 2nd Orphek Light showed up today so I got that installed. One is a Blue Plus the other is a Reef Day. I definitely need a third. Debating between another Reef Day or the Blue Sky bar. I'm going to wait til the tank has water and make a decison then.

unnamed.jpg

OP
OP
Fishgeek88

Fishgeek88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Had the day off so finished the plumbing. I still need a few fittings for the UV but wasn't planning on running it for a while anyways. Eventually I want to swap the vinyl hose to solid white hose and replace the stainless hose clamps with the plastic snap clamps...but she is ready for water.
unnamed (1).jpg

OP
OP
Fishgeek88

Fishgeek88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Little Update:

Got the old tank torn down and all the livestock transferred over to the new tank this past week. I basically took all the old water from the old set up so really no major cycle. It is going through some diatoms right now though, and the phosphates are little high .3-.4ppm. Here is a fts pic.

IMG-4306.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back