Aggressive Longnose Hawkfish?

Opah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed one of my anthias has, what I believe is, a triangle shaped bite mark across it's mid-section. I recently watched a BRS episode on fish where Ryan was saying his hawkfish was killing gobies. Anyone else have this experience? I haven't noticed any aggression but the shape and size of the mark looks like it could have come from the hawkfish.

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible could you upload a photo. I've personally never seen an aggressive long nose and I have kept them with much smaller fish and similar sized fish. However fish do have personalities.

Have you seen him going after other fish?

OP
OP
O

Opah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible could you upload a photo. I've personally never seen an aggressive long nose and I have kept them with much smaller fish and similar sized fish. However fish do have personalities.

Have you seen him going after other fish?
I will work on a pic. Fish is pretty shy at the moment. I haven't seen him go after anything.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes longnose hawks can be aggressive, hawks as a whole can be, some more than others, the longnose being one of the least aggressive but still can be. I keep flames in my predator tanks, they eat live guppies and ghosties.

OP
OP
O

Opah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tempImageZwBWkG.png
IMG_7689 copy.jpg

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above hawks can be aggressive but the most I've ever noticed with longnosed hawks is a big or squaring up to the other fish, with fins flared, before it circles the fish to intimidate it. This has only ever happened when the other fish was also feisty and gave a bit back.

From the picture I don't think it's the hawk that is to blame. Unfortunately that anthias looks like it's deteriorating and I'd think it's more likely the other anthias harassing it. The mark could just be an injury from it going into the rockwork.

OP
OP
O

Opah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above hawks can be aggressive but the most I've ever noticed with longnosed hawks is a big or squaring up to the other fish, with fins flared, before it circles the fish to intimidate it. This has only ever happened when the other fish was also feisty and gave a bit back.

From the picture I don't think it's the hawk that is to blame. Unfortunately that anthias looks like it's deteriorating and I'd think it's more likely the other anthias harassing it. The mark could just be an injury from it going into the rockwork.
Thanks. I was easily able to remove the hawkfish and relocate it in another tank for now. It certainly could be a result of anthia hostility, but there hasn't been a lot of that either. I am feeding a lot. The beat up fish doesn't seem to be getting any worse and is coming out to eat a bit.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back