Aging my G. ternatensis?

jackcephas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a G. ternatensis for about 3/4 of a year now, I am fairly certain that is his species and that he is a male. He molted 7 weeks ago and has not since, it seems like he molts at most every two months but it is hard for me to tell because he does not cave himself in much that I am aware of. Anyone know what age he might be? I heard that the longer in between molts the older they are, so I assume he is at least a few years old now? Thanks.

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Age is pretty difficult if not impossible to figure out, we don't even know the maturity rate from floating larvae.

Molts are typically every 3 or more months, rumor is lunar cycle based, but the younger the shrimp the more frequently the molts happen.

G. Tern is easy to sex, they're one of the few color dimorphic ones based on their sex, blue legs+antennal scales+tail = male, yellow = female. IDing is basically 'gonodactylid lookin mantis with dark green carapace, red lines segmented inbetween their body, and orange meral spots differing it from G. Smithii.

Male:

1665022840668.png

Female:

1665022923551.png

If any doubt there's also the good ol' \ / shaped reproductive organs all species have between last pair of legs and first set of pleopods (swimmers), signaling they're male, they're basically two of our... well, they compensate for size ig.

Upvote 1

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the pic of the female looking up!

can’t help with your questions since I’ve only had my first peacock live over a year, sorry

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back