Ahhh the Black Bugs

loglan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I am confused. The black bugs I have seen on here on r2r were posted as similar to pin head like the red bugs?
Also in thread was no dipps are working on black bugs?

So are the black bugs non-uniform in body structure?

I am going to try to find that other thread
Chris it has legs. To me it is similar to black bugs that people are used to. Interceptor used to kill them and red bugs but has no effect on this strain. To be honest there is so little known about these. Personally dealing with them they act like a red bug but appear to look like a worm. I did 4x the recommended dose of interceptor twice on my system and it had NO effect on the bugs. Another little tidbit of info people may find out is I had the bugs actually embedded into a digitata skeleton. This is how I think they may be beating dipping. Think about it for a minute. When we dip acros they put off a slime coat to protect themselves. Hence when they do its got to be protecting the bug itself from the dip. That's just my theory tho.

loglan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do like like pods when looking at them in person from the naked eye. MUCH DARKER!

Iv'e already started tossing out infected frags. I'm not playing around with this. I'll do what it takes to end them. Even if that means trashing coral. From what I have read online they are no joke I had a freind get infected a while back and he lost the battle and ended up tearing his whole tank down and starting over completely fresh.
That's exactly what I did myself. I completely emptied the tank , dried everything out, cleaned it in vinegar bath, cycled new DRY rock and started from scratch. It's the only way I felt 100% sure that I got rid of them.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they dip and slime, can you do a double dip to remove some of that protection before dipping again for the bugs?

OP
OP
Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris it has legs. To me it is similar to black bugs that people are used to. Interceptor used to kill them and red bugs but has no effect on this strain. To be honest there is so little known about these. Personally dealing with them they act like a red bug but appear to look like a worm. I did 4x the recommended dose of interceptor twice on my system and it had NO effect on the bugs. Another little tidbit of info people may find out is I had the bugs actually embedded into a digitata skeleton. This is how I think they may be beating dipping. Think about it for a minute. When we dip acros they put off a slime coat to protect themselves. Hence when they do its got to be protecting the bug itself from the dip. That's just my theory tho.

Dang it I was hoping they did not care for Digitata.

Any chance they care for scoly or acans. Sounds like I literally need to dip my entire tank.
Thanks for the information I really appreciate it.

I hope in the end This thread can help out others.

loglan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang it I was hoping they did not care for Digitata.

Any chance they care for scoly or acans. Sounds like I literally need to dip my entire tank.
Thanks for the information I really appreciate it.

I hope in the end This thread can help out others.
What I found out is that I believe they are opertunistic feeders. When tried to beat them I thought I did everything I could to beat them. I also had acans and zoas in my quarintine at the time. I dipped every coral in quarintine each and everytime. Swapped out frag racks during each dip. Fragged the frags off the used plugs and put them all on new plugs after every dip. I dipped twice a week for the first 2 weeks and then once a week for 8 more weeks. After throwing away over 150 high end sticks I was just about sick. The last straw was coming home and seeing them crawling on 4 of the last 12 frags I had left. So not sure if they eat other coral but I do believe they attach and hide on them. Maybe even lay eggs on non sps pieces. These bugs are resilient. They have made several people shut there systems down and either get out of the hobby or start completely over.

Chris Adams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyway scrapping some onto piece of glass and trying to get a better picture.
There are plenty threads about black bugs and some about a black flatworm but pictures are limited.

Maybe you guys could get a nice macro shot. Or are they all gone?

Chris Adams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I found out is that I believe they are opertunistic feeders. When tried to beat them I thought I did everything I could to beat them. I also had acans and zoas in my quarintine at the time. I dipped every coral in quarintine each and everytime. Swapped out frag racks during each dip. Fragged the frags off the used plugs and put them all on new plugs after every dip. I dipped twice a week for the first 2 weeks and then once a week for 8 more weeks. After throwing away over 150 high end sticks I was just about sick. The last straw was coming home and seeing them crawling on 4 of the last 12 frags I had left. So not sure if they eat other coral but I do believe they attach and hide on them. Maybe even lay eggs on non sps pieces. These bugs are resilient. They have made several people shut there systems down and either get out of the hobby or start completely over.

That stinks. We all fight hard to keep things out of out tanks. Hobby can be brutal.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that first post, the eggs do look similar to that of the AEFW....

eggsaefw2weatherson.jpg

eggsaefwweatherson.jpg

loglan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stinks. We all fight hard to keep things out of out tanks. Hobby can be brutal.
They beat me Chris but I didn't give up on this extrordinary hobby we all have come to love. I'm very particular now who I buy from. I've only bought sticks from 1 vendor. Happy to say all look awesome and pest free! Just recently purchased some high end zoas and rainbow acans from another vendor and all so far doing great in quarintine.

loglan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
took liberty to zoom in on Original posters pic. Apologize if I was out of line.
@loglan yours looks a little different but not saying you are wrong.
It's all good. I truly hate these things. I hope the OP does not have what I had but it sounds and looks to similar. Just trying to help others that have been fighting g these or not knowing what they have. I do believe if we don't get a GRIP on fighting these and beating them that it could get epidemic levels.

OP
OP
Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
took liberty to zoom in on Original posters pic. Apologize if I was out of line.
@loglan yours looks a little different but not saying you are wrong.

Not at all use anything Iv'e posted. I want others to get as much information as possible about these as I had trouble finding info online.

I agree with you loglan.
It is strange. The eggs themselves do look similar but as mentioned where is the clustering?
Also mentioned was the color by TWilliard
@Kman237 keep us posted. Anymore pics would be good.
Let us know if you see them on other corals LPS etc.

I will for sure keep yall posted. I have a lot of LPS in the tank. I will be inspecting and dipping for a while. Thanks for all the help and good vibes everyone!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 82 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back