Ahhh the Black Bugs

loglan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bumped a thread. It's called " an almost successful in tank treatment for aefw" the if you read the wholr thread it will scare the **** out of reefers. I think it's page 7 and on it gets really interesting

OP
OP
Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bumped a thread. It's called " an almost successful in tank treatment for aefw" the if you read the wholr thread it will scare the **** out of reefers. I think it's page 7 and on it gets really interesting

Do I dare read it? I think so!!!

Thanks I'll check it out. Time to get a bit more serious with my QT process.

OP
OP
Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two - three more on the acro with the eggs!

I'll see if I can get some better pictures through out this process.

upload_2016-7-21_13-57-39.png

OP
OP
Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you live? Here in Texas, DFW we have a whole store just for Elos. Elos Aquastudios they mostly sell Elos tanks and man are they beautiful! It's a nice store very clean and sharp.

Sorry Kman. I know it really is gut wrenching.
Have a couple extra beers, or wine, or hard stuff

Thanks Chris! I'll definitely take that advice ;)

I'm trying to hold my head high I love this hobby I won't give up on it.

We live and learn.

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a whole thread on FB about these bugs, there are folks with microscopes asking for people to send them samples. OP, I know it is too much to ask but it is possible to keep the frags and colonies that are infected in a bucket of water? If they can be sent to folks with microscopes we can document these jerks and maybe run independent tests on what kills them. These are super bugs, we need a cure.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a whole thread on FB about these bugs, there are folks with microscopes asking for people to send them samples. OP, I know it is too much to ask but it is possible to keep the frags and colonies that are infected in a bucket of water? If they can be sent to folks with microscopes we can document these jerks and maybe run independent tests on what kills them. These are super bugs, we need a cure.
Agreed, if you send a couple to me I can throw it on the scope at work.. If there's no one closer
Edit - HA just realized OP is in Dallas. I m in dfw. Let me know if you want me to throw on the scope and get some pics

Cathman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can, I would love to know more about these. Send some to the guy above please please. There are several post on FB about these. I documented my journey with them there. If I knew how to upload a video here I would gladly do so. Try putting them in a small bowl (i used a white one to see well) and baste off the frag. They scurry around and have legs. Drop several drops of lugols iodine in there and see if that works. I did mine until the water was a nice orange color but could still see through it well. Kills them in a couple of minutes. If you try this let us know if it works. They work quickly from the base of frag/colony and move up. And they seem to coordinate the attacks as in many of them at a time as a group effort. The eggs are random and NOT clustered as aefw are....that's one reason they are easily missed. I dipped everything I received in Bayer at a stronger than required and longer than required time/mixture. They still got through. I now have a QT because of these.

I posted one video using my phone zoomed through a magnifying glass...the best I could do. It appears they almost have the backs of a nudibranch (frills), but move much quicker and appear to have legs. If interested PM me, I will give you my info of how to find them on FB.

Good luck...these move quickly and are not easy to get rid of.

OP
OP
Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have, or know somebody, or in anyway have access to a microscope? I think an ID is important to your attack plan.

I do not. I have kept a frag that has one or two. I left a colony of sps near the infected area waiting for them to attack so I can send it to someone.

Agreed, if you send a couple to me I can throw it on the scope at work.. If there's no one closer
Edit - HA just realized OP is in Dallas. I m in dfw. Let me know if you want me to throw on the scope and get some pics

Let's do this!!!! I live in mid Dallas. I'll PM you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update and a picture of another one last night. Trying to get a clear close up of these.

Also I inspected 80% of my LPS and found none of them. No eggs no pest I dipped them heavy last night anyways.

upload_2016-7-22_11-10-14.png

upload_2016-7-22_11-10-47.png

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Pest in Question in this Thread looks like Flatworms.

I was told that Black Bugs look like Red Bugs but Black.

http://reef2reef.com/threads/setosa-bugs.252294/

Then in the above Thread somebody wrote this.

"Theres black copepods and the "horrible black flatwormbug" that your refuring to. Im not sure what they are, if your setosas in bad shape i woulf just dip it"

So what exactly are Black Bugs?

Can somebody clear this up please?

reef80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geesh so reading this and seeing the picture bring up so many traumatic memories...I battles these bugs a little over a year ago and I beat them. I've tried so many methods and this is what i found to work. 4x revive at least for 8 min once a week for 6 weeks. I had the scattered yellow eggs looks on my acros like in the pics also and I though they were AEFW but these guys are by far WORST. They attack just like how it's being described...in clusters of groups. They work on one and then move to the other. They almost seem to communicate with each other like ants but tough like bed bugs. They are are more active and worst at night time esp once lights go out. Sometimes it looks like they also burry themselves in the acro. They multiply very rapidly. I was interest in learning about their behaviors and experience along the way. Along the way I lost a lot of $p$ but I have not noticed them for over a year now and I know they are done. Everything was dipped and housed in a separate tank. All live rock in my sump and I dipped everything in the display. Best time to dip is one hour when lights out because they are extremely active and out during that time. I swap out my frag trays out each time I dipped. Keep in mind that it took me about 4 months to figure all this out and then another 6 weeks to finally get rid. I tried Bayer but it was too foggy for me to tell if they were dead. I only had Sps and no other coral and i don't think they care much for smooth skin acros. Don't give up folks. Try it out. Use giant styrofoam cups and watch these suckas perish away...it's possible. Sorry for the long rant....but I know the feeling and thought this might help...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geesh so reading this and seeing the picture bring up so many traumatic memories...I battles these bugs a little over a year ago and I beat them. I've tried so many methods and this is what i found to work. 4x revive at least for 8 min once a week for 6 weeks. I had the scattered yellow eggs looks on my acros like in the pics also and I though they were AEFW but these guys are by far WORST. They attack just like how it's being described...in clusters of groups. They work on one and then move to the other. They almost seem to communicate with each other like ants but tough like bed bugs. They are are more active and worst at night time esp once lights go out. Sometimes it looks like they also burry themselves in the acro. They multiply very rapidly. I was interest in learning about their behaviors and experience along the way. Along the way I lost a lot of $p$ but I have not noticed them for over a year now and I know they are done. Everything was dipped and housed in a separate tank. All live rock in my sump and I dipped everything in the display. Best time to dip is one hour when lights out because they are extremely active and out during that time. I swap out my frag trays out each time I dipped. Keep in mind that it took me about 4 months to figure all this out and then another 6 weeks to finally get rid. I tried Bayer but it was too foggy for me to tell if they were dead. I only had Sps and no other coral and i don't think they care much for smooth skin acros. Don't give up folks. Try it out. Use giant styrofoam cups and watch these suckas perish away...it's possible. Sorry for the long rant....but I know the feeling and thought this might help...

Thanks so much for information. Very helpful.

OP
OP
Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - I broke this tank down. These bugs are a B*%&. I actually got these in my new tank as well. I dipped any coral I transferred over to that tank. They hide and when you think they are gone they show up again a few months later.

OP
OP
Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick note to add. I only brought over my LPS and soft corals. I tossed all my old sps from the infected tank. Completely new rock to. I brushed all the coral I could without harming it with a tooth brush and inspected for eggs. Some where some how at least one bug/egg got by me.

loglan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick note to add. I only brought over my LPS and soft corals. I tossed all my old sps from the infected tank. Completely new rock to. I brushed all the coral I could without harming it with a tooth brush and inspected for eggs. Some where some how at least one bug/egg got by me.
Sorry to this. I too broke my tank down. Dried everything out and started from scratch. Have a few sticks, acans, and zoas back in it. So far so good and no signs of bugs. I've only bought my new corals from 2 vendors. My sticks and acans from 1 and zoas from another. Quarintine for a month before putting the new pieces in the display. Happy to say that I did not see or find any pest period in the process. I almost gave up but this hobby is an incredible obsession and a joy to be able to be a part of. Don't give up! The rewards are second to none when your goals are achieved. Good luck and hope you decide to give it another whirl.

OP
OP
Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to this. I too broke my tank down. Dried everything out and started from scratch. Have a few sticks, acans, and zoas back in it. So far so good and no signs of bugs. I've only bought my new corals from 2 vendors. My sticks and acans from 1 and zoas from another. Quarintine for a month before putting the new pieces in the display. Happy to say that I did not see or find any pest period in the process. I almost gave up but this hobby is an incredible obsession and a joy to be able to be a part of. Don't give up! The rewards are second to none when your goals are achieved. Good luck and hope you decide to give it another whirl.

Thanks Loglan I'm going to keep my new tank running. Just going without sps for a long time. See if they die off. I hate to break another tank down. After I caught these I to narrowed down who I buy from only 3 vendors I know well and Trust. I also setup a 34 gallon frag tank to QT all my new corals (I did this for the new tank and while I setup the new tank). Put a 30 gallon sump on it to help stable it for sps. I still have a few sps in that tank that are not infected so they will stay there. These manage to Transfer with my lps I'm sure it was an egg. Thanks for the encouragement.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back