OP
OP
m88a2

m88a2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a pic of my tank with the Hydras today finally I run my blues at 80% and the rest anywhere from 40-60% until i like the color.

DSC_0802_zps219f4eb9.jpg

Sweet setup man, love how clean and uncluttered everything looks. can you give us some info on how you acclimated your tank to the new lights such as what % you started with, how much you went up per time period? I plan on going up 5% per week (less for the green/red/uv)

zoaking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using 2 AI sols to begin with so my tank was use to LEDs so I didn't really acclimate much. I ran my sols at 100% blues and 40% whites for 6 hours. I put it on 1/2 what I have it set up on now for about a week just as a precaution.

OP
OP
m88a2

m88a2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I finally found my brothers camera charger so I took some pictures. Don't be thrown off by the dead/dying sps on the wrack. It was a mistake I made in buying wild corals...I know they are know to just melt, but I thought I'd give it a go given the price...never again. Perhaps my system just inst awesome enough for wild corals... BTW they started dying before I got the hydras. The other corals, which have been grown and purchased from a great guy on the site are doing very well. many were browned and have regained some color after only a week.
SPS.jpg
LPS.jpg
Blasto.jpg

OP
OP
m88a2

m88a2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to do a weekly update on how the frags fair. I'm actually receiving another group of frags from the same guy i mentioned before on fri so i'll do an update photo + new coral showoff. BTW the coral coloration is actually really close if not spot on.

Chancereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hydra

I got 2 on a 6 foot tank and not close to enough it may say 3 foot spread but I think its more 2 to 2.5 foot max

OP
OP
m88a2

m88a2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 2 on a 6 foot tank and not close to enough it may say 3 foot spread but I think its more 2 to 2.5 foot max

I tend to agree with you there. I believe 2 for my 75 standard is perfect. Any longer and you would need a 3 unless you want to keep lower light corals on the edges

OP
OP
m88a2

m88a2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recieved a pack with some higher end sps. this should be a nice little test to see what the lights can do. The frags themselves are in excellent shape so we'll see how these lights treat them in time. I'll post up some pics later tonight, but i want to try and read a bit on how to take more accurate pictures.

zoaking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I am going to try and get a par meter this weekend and test it. Coral all seem happy even on the outer edges where I have a scoly, clam and chalices.

OP
OP
m88a2

m88a2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool, some par numbers would total help dial things in. glad u have access to one as i dont. How high above the waterline are u hanging your fixture?

OP
OP
m88a2

m88a2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
26july13.jpg

new frags w/ old ones under slightly higher settings. the new lighting is as follows (camera is picking up more blue than the tank really look, but the color of the frags are pretty close)
white: 25
violet: 20
red: 10
green: 10
R blue: 40
D blue: 40
UV: 10

BigJohnWoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised you can get that eshopps frag rack to hold that many frags. I bought two of those racks and its the worst thing I've spent money on in this hobby to date. Rant done...... Lighting and frags look great. Keep us posted.
26july13.jpg
new frags w/ old ones under slightly higher settings. the new lighting is as follows (camera is picking up more blue than the tank really look, but the color of the frags are pretty close)
white: 25
violet: 20
red: 10
green: 10
R blue: 40
D blue: 40
UV: 10

kc350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone switch from T5's directly to Hydras? I have a itch to try these but the Sols left a bad impression on me after about 5 months of use. Looks like most LED manufacturers have slowly gotten them dialed in to have the look of other lighting sources.

Kc3

OP
OP
m88a2

m88a2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised you can get that eshopps frag rack to hold that many frags. I bought two of those racks and its the worst thing I've spent money on in this hobby to date. Rant done...... Lighting and frags look great. Keep us posted.

really? i kinda like the rack, but it did seem to have trouble staying up when i had some chalice frags on it...supposed i'll just leave it for sps/zoa frags

OP
OP
m88a2

m88a2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was using an icecap reef illuminations w/ 2 led strips before. It was a very powerfull light and i didnt have any way of hanging it at the time so it kinda burn my corals. kinda a bad representation of T5 to led cause i didn't use the T5 properly but it sorta fits the bill. Another thing i've learned to love about the LED's is that i can dial down/up as needed

jrsevy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four Sol Blue all black on eBay for $250 each Aqua Illumination Sol Blue Black Awesome LED Aquarium Lights | eBay? I bought upgrade Hydra kits and didn't want to toss my Sol LEDs/lenses/circuit board, so I bought the black Sol kit and also have new power supplies. You could use one or more of these for as long as you want, then update to Hydra or Vega or wait until the next AI module comes out. I like the Hydra. Still fiddling with the settings. I liked that the Sols have settings supplied by the New Controller in Easy Setup mode with firmware 2.29 that extends the deep blue. I suppose later firmware will address Hydra, other than 80% default across all LEDs. I'm running white at 65% on Hydra with lower settings on everything else.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back