AI hydra users

m88a2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to me that all the other brands/models have their own forum so why shouldn't the hydra? I thought it would be cool for all the hydra users to document their experiences and thoughts on this new fixture. I'll be receiving mine on Monday so i'll get some pictures up when I get them. In the meantime, how about those that already have them chime in? remember words are good, but pics are better!

Mrfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry no hydras for me, I just have the vega blues.
Why did u decided to go with those instead of any other model?

bobbyrobot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank are you putting them over? Im planning on trying out 3 of them for my standard 125. Would love to see the pics!

OP
OP
m88a2

m88a2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, im loving the lights. They def make the colors pop (especially with heavy violet/uv/royal). I am very happy so far with the fixtures, though its has only been 2 days so I have yet to see how the corals are gonna like them long term. the only thing the bugs me is the controller...i dont know if i have a faulty one or not but the "buttons" are pretty frustrating. Often i hit a "button" and it doesnt do anything...then i wait a sec and hit it again and it triggers 2x. i played with the sensitivity and its still annoying at best. also im having trouble finding instructions on how to set a custom manual set up. I wish they had just used traditional buttons. however i can get over it if my corals like light and if i can figure out how to set a custom light mode. One other annoying thing is one of my hydras only came with 1 ext mounting screw. not a big deal now, but if i ever go to a bigger tank i have to find out how to get my hands on one of those. Even tho there's a few things that kinda bugs me, the lights themselves make me happy. I'm looking for my brother's camera charge so i can take pictures but if i cant find it, i'll take some Iphone pics in the mean time.

AquaSDonline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, im loving the lights. They def make the colors pop (especially with heavy violet/uv/royal). I am very happy so far with the fixtures, though its has only been 2 days so I have yet to see how the corals are gonna like them long term. the only thing the bugs me is the controller...i dont know if i have a faulty one or not but the "buttons" are pretty frustrating. Often i hit a "button" and it doesnt do anything...then i wait a sec and hit it again and it triggers 2x. i played with the sensitivity and its still annoying at best. also im having trouble finding instructions on how to set a custom manual set up. I wish they had just used traditional buttons. however i can get over it if my corals like light and if i can figure out how to set a custom light mode. One other annoying thing is one of my hydras only came with 1 ext mounting screw. not a big deal now, but if i ever go to a bigger tank i have to find out how to get my hands on one of those. Even tho there's a few things that kinda bugs me, the lights themselves make me happy. I'm looking for my brother's camera charge so i can take pictures but if i cant find it, i'll take some Iphone pics in the mean time.

I've had issues with the controller doing the same thing. I had a friend with one that would not do anything when you pressed the buttons. Others were fixed by simply updated the firmware. If you are having issues with the controller that can't be solved by a factory data reset or a firmware update, contact Aqua Illumination. They are good about helping with problems like this. If they can't get it fixed for you, they'll send you a new one.

SloppyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? I'm wondering if 3 over my 180 would be enough?

zoaking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running some for a couple weeks now and I LOVE them. I switched from the sol blue and I have to say my chalices and everything totally love them. I never saw the eyes of my chalices so big and always feeding until I switched. I mounted the lights in the exact same spot and I am running them for the exact same hours. I am running 2 on my 4'x3' 150. I can turn off one and the spread is well over half the tank I would say it covers a good amount more than the sol. As far as colors on the coral they are coloring up more than the sol I was running for over a year. Great light

jrsevy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered the Hydra upgrade kits

I have a 140 gallon reef (4' wide x 2' deep x 31" tall) and have 4 Sol Blue hanging above. I was thinking of updating for awhile and the Hydras sold me. The one thing I don't like about the Sol Blue is that my pink Bird's Nest and Pink Pulsing Xenias only look pink around sunset as the lights dim in easy profile firmware 2.2. I'm sure there are other colors I'm missing. Looking forward to getting these in 1-2 weeks.

I did buy 4 power supplies too because the ones I have are only rated to 75 watts. Was thinking of buying Mean Well drivers (CEN-100-36) but they cost twice as much as the AI ones for $25 ea. in the upgrade package. My AI ones run hot and are plastic vs. aluminum for better heat dissipation. I'd also rather mount the power supplies with screws, which the Mean Well drivers have
with mounting tabs. I'll use 3M auto molding tape on the AI drivers to an aluminum plate and hope they don't fall off as they warm up. I did lose a AI power supply, maybe to excessive heat.

I had a tough time deciding whether to go with the Vega or Hydra update. Thinking the Hydras will make things pop with UV and ultraviolet, as others have said. Updating cost $200 each with power supply from AI directly, which is half of new. Another $25 ea. for the Vega. I guess I really don't care to have full control over each LED that the Vega has. My tank sand bed is 29" from the surface, so I think the Hydra has better punch. At least AI says "The power of Sol and Control of Vega".

My current Sol Blue program ramps up to 80%. Anyone think I need to dial that down with the Hydra? I assume the extra 20 watts over the Sol means more light and I don't want any bleaching.

OP
OP
m88a2

m88a2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI hydra.jpg

Still cant find my bro's charger for his camera so here's a quick Iphone pic. Love how nice and clean it looks. dont mind the tangle of cable towards the top, havent made time to make it look purdy yet

john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have a old cellphone charger that is usb to the connection in the controller it solves the problem where the controller presses its own buttons. even whent hey sent me a new charger it did the same thing.

OP
OP
m88a2

m88a2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im starting my lights with
white-20%
violet-15
red-10
green-10
royal blue-30
deep blue-30
uv-8

i'll increase the amounts slightly every week while at the same time tweaking the ratios to my liking

zoaking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a pic of my tank with the Hydras today finally I run my blues at 80% and the rest anywhere from 40-60% until i like the color.

DSC_0802_zps219f4eb9.jpg

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey everyone i have an 8 foot long 2 by 2 tank any recommendations on how many hydras i should get? im assuming 4 but any way i can get away with 3?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 43.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back