AI Nero 3 - Garbage

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured you "get what you pay for" and I would get the AI Nero 3. Read some bad reviews on people having problems with it (blue ring light flashing to red light) not long at all after they got it.

Welp...not even 30 days in and had issues with it to the point I have to send it back and it is broken. (Nothing got caught in it, none of that) I did a search online to find many people having the same issues.

If it was an isolated incident ... no biggy. It happens. But I'm sorry, for $150 for a pump, there should not be this many problems this early -- unacceptable. So for all you thinking of getting one, buyer beware. Do some research first.

Back to the jaebos ... hey they even make a compact one now as well!

ctnguye3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the Nero 5 and don’t have the issues you’re experiencing, but will never purchase another one. The propeller gets stuck every 3-4 weeks. I literally would have to keep an eye on it and make sure there’s flow. The pump is less than 6 months old. I know pumps need maintenance but every 3-4 weeks seems short, at least compared to my MP40 which never gets stuck and I typically take that out to clean 3-4 months or longer.

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Nero 5 and don’t have the issues you’re experiencing, but will never purchase another one. The propeller gets stuck every 3-4 weeks. I literally would have to keep an eye on it and make sure there’s flow. The pump is less than 6 months old. I know pumps need maintenance but every 3-4 weeks seems short, at least compared to my MP40 which never gets stuck and I typically take that out to clean 3-4 months or longer.
Absolutely ... that is absurd. For the price they charge that should NOT be happening. And as much as people complain about Jebaos and how they are suspect ... the more people I talk to the more I hear they outlast many of the high priced pumps

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Had 4 of them. One completely seized up but AI quickly replaced it no questions asked. Other than that they were flawless operation wise. Those having problems are very few in comparison to how many are sold.

Now MyAI is another story. Connection issues galore with that software.

Jebao pumps aren't outlasting the good stuff. They have an extremely high failure rate. Most don't post about it though. Just fill up the landfills and buy another because they're cheap.

If you want a truly reliable pump, get a Tunze.

michaelmessinaglass

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sucks to hear that, ive had a nero 3 since it came out and ive been nothing but pleased. I havent had any connection issues and the app always works. Disassembly and cleaning is a breeze too. I run it at pulse max 35% which i used to be able to hear but it broke in and quieted down after about a week and now you can barely hear it over the return. I had a jebao in my previous tank that super loud. Was AI at all helpful with righting your situation or did you just return it?

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had 4 of them. One completely seized up but AI quickly replaced it no questions asked. Other than that they were flawless operation wise. Those having problems are very few in comparison to how many are sold.

Jebao pumps aren't outlasting the good stuff. They have an extremely high failure rate. Most don't post about it though. Just fill up the landfills and buy another because they're cheap.

yah when I move into my 300 tank I am getting Tunzes for sure

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sucks to hear that, ive had a nero 3 since it came out and ive been nothing but pleased. I havent had any connection issues and the app always works. Disassembly and cleaning is a breeze too. I run it at pulse max 35% which i used to be able to hear but it broke in and quieted down after about a week and now you can barely hear it over the return. I had a jebao in my previous tank that super loud. Was AI at all helpful with righting your situation or did you just return it?
I am just returning it. My gut tells me to just get something else ... I think it is also because I was debating which one to get, and figured I would pay a higher price for a better product and not have to worry. There have been other issues as well. My experience has not been pleasant so far. Just going to count my losses and move on

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

While I love my multiple tunze pumps I also love my jeabos :) So far they have the same life span >2yrs.

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not Nero 3s, but I’ve had 2 Nero 5s for 2 years and they’ve stopped around a total of around 5 times prior to installing snail/fish guards. Only one stopped Nero after installing the guards from a snail that decided to dive head first into the front of Nero. It would be helpful if there was a text alert when the Nero does an emergency stop. Overall the Nero 5 has been a great powerhead.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While I love my multiple tunze pumps I also love my jeabos :) So far they have the same life span >2yrs.
Couple of my Tunze are pushing 7 years old. One mixes all my new water and the other is in a 50g.

Very common to see 10+ year old Tunze still going strong

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 5's and a 3 on the way and have zero complaints and I even have the old 5's with the smaller magnets. Both 5's where launch models. Sorry you are having problems. Its amazing these things last at all actually ( all pumps) saltwater is hard on any moving parts let alone electric moving parts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of my Tunze are pushing 7 years old. One mixes all my new water and the other is in a 50g.

Very common to see 10+ year old Tunze still going strong

I suspect that those Tunze are AC? I have two Hydro's that I picked up in 2008 and it was used. One is leaking voltage now after I left it in vinegar for a few days, but still works and used daily.

My understanding is that DC pumps just fail a lot more, but a Nero3 is on my list of buys either way.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I re-entered the reefing hobby, probably 7 years back now, I was overjoyed to find inexpensive reefing gear, Jabou and such, on Amazon. Great! Economics of scale, bringing prices down. Awesome. Ordered a cheap return pump and a couple of cheap flow pumps.

Unfortunately, I was less impressed a few months later when the cheap pumps started failing. Both Jabou wave pumps gave up in under 3 months. The return pump lasted about 10 months.

Ok, so no more cheap gear for me.

Since then, I've had Maxspect, Hydor, Ecotech... All have been retired for one reason or another. Funny... back in the mid 80's, the first real flow pump I ever bought... the only one available... was from company with a funny name... Tunze.

So, now I'm running 2x Tunze 6105's, wired to an Apex for precise control, and a 6040 on Tunze's 'safety switch' battery backup module, probably the least expensive, most flexible battery backup solution available today.

Funny how often the journey ends up with you right back where you started.

I just switched back to Instant Ocean salt, too :D

Round and round we go :D

ctnguye3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not Nero 3s, but I’ve had 2 Nero 5s for 2 years and they’ve stopped around a total of around 5 times prior to installing snail/fish guards. Only one stopped Nero after installing the guards from a snail that decided to dive head first into the front of Nero. It would be helpful if there was a text alert when the Nero does an emergency stop. Overall the Nero 5 has been a great powerhead.
That would be perfect, some kind of notification on the app would make me feel better (there's already a flashing led on the controller so it wouldn't be hard to add notification). I've had the impeller stall on me way too many times that now I check almost every time I'm around the tank to make sure its working. It's a good thing it's easy to clean but I hate how I have to constantly monitor it.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably too early but its been 2 months since I got 5 of my Nero 3s and so far their doing fine. Its possible that OP may have gotten the runt of the litter.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that problem with my nero3, threw code it was bound up, and AI had me return it to them and via their exchange program they mailed me a new one that same day which has been working fine. I was pretty impressed with the service and speed - no issues with new one and hopefully that continues.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back