Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters

j.register3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can afford it, MP10. I have one in my 13.5 gallon (completely unnecessary) but I love it & wouldn’t have it any other way. I keep a variety of corals & I love the different flow patterns, app, & Quiet Drive!

OP
OP
Jdubyo

Jdubyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate everyone’s input! I was hoping for a clear winner but it is looking like a 50/50 split so far.

I was originally leaning towards MP10 but now am thinking the Nero 3.

I really like the idea of having the Neros on the back wall but I’m not so sure about putting the magnets in my overflow. Can anyone confirm if they are submersible or at least resistant to (salt)water?

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really like the idea of having the Neros on the back wall but I’m not so sure about putting the magnets in my overflow. Can anyone confirm if they are submersible or at least resistant to (salt)water?

I'd definitely like to get confirmation on this too, but I believe I've seen a couple posts R2R that the dry side magnets can be submersed. The magnets on both sides appear to be encased in what seems to be the same material with no metals exposed.

But, if I were to place the dry side in water, I'd probably make an airtight plastic seal around the magnets with a vacuum sealer, just in case!

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@authentic said the manufacturer states they are submersible

OP
OP
Jdubyo

Jdubyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@authentic said the manufacturer states they are submersible

I am sure they did say this but I am still skeptical. A lot of manufacturers also say to soak pumps in vinegar for cleaning. Which usually penetrates plastic coatings over time.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of those choices I would go with the Nero 3.

I really like the review that Jake Adams from reefbuilders did on it. Keeping it low in the tank on a bare bottom and in a corner, it pretty much disappeared in the tanks he had them on.

That being said.... I'm a more frugal person. So I would probably go with a jebao slw10 or 20. I have 3 of the slw20's on my frag tanks and they are great. Not as controllable as the nero, but for $65 I'm not goin to argue

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that some say Nero 3 is wider flow and other say more narrow flow than MP10. I have been thinking about 2 of the nero3 or mp10 for my reefer 170.

OP
OP
Jdubyo

Jdubyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have both sets of pumps. I ordered them a while ago. All are unopened still because one set needs to be returned when I make the decision. I am closing in on the return window so it’s time to make a decision.

I am currently still leaning towards the Nero 3 set. Between price and the ability to put them on my back wall, I think they have me there. Noise is not an issue because my fish room is in the basement but that is a plus nevertheless.

Any last opinions to throw in? The poll is still an even split!

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to go with 2 Nero 3s. The noise from my MP40 bugged me and I don’t think I’m willing to drop $600 to be disappointed

reefshawn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own two Vortechs and I am probably going to end up buying/replacing with Neros. The Ecotech app is horrible... it rarely connects on the first attempt, it can be confusing, and lately the "upload" to the pumps isn't working anymore. In addition not only do you have to buy the two Vortechs but you also have to buy their little wifi unit. I also don't agree that the quality is anything great... right out of the box one of my two units clearly has a short in a wire and I have to keep the cable just so-so in order to keep one of the two units powered. I don't really care about the motor in/out of water argument. I had powerheads in water for over ten years, it's not like that isn't the 90%+ configuration that most use.

On the flip side, I have AI lights and I love the fact that their app is incredibly nice and easy to use, you can modify things in realtime without a clunky "upload," and the lights are always on the network. If the Nero works the same in the app I'm sure I will be very happy. I'll come back and let you know what i think of the Neros after I receive them.

ocboat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you made the right choice. If I didn't already own a couple of mp40s from my previous tank, I would have gone with Neros for my 50 lagoon. I love the Vortechs but I think that the Nero is a better value.

M

Max_nano

View Badges
I own two Vortechs and I am probably going to end up buying/replacing with Neros. The Ecotech app is horrible... it rarely connects on the first attempt, it can be confusing, and lately the "upload" to the pumps isn't working anymore. In addition not only do you have to buy the two Vortechs but you also have to buy their little wifi unit. I also don't agree that the quality is anything great... right out of the box one of my two units clearly has a short in a wire and I have to keep the cable just so-so in order to keep one of the two units powered. I don't really care about the motor in/out of water argument. I had powerheads in water for over ten years, it's not like that isn't the 90%+ configuration that most use.

On the flip side, I have AI lights and I love the fact that their app is incredibly nice and easy to use, you can modify things in realtime without a clunky "upload," and the lights are always on the network. If the Nero works the same in the app I'm sure I will be very happy. I'll come back and let you know what i think of the Neros after I receive them.
Are you using Mobius or eco smart live with your vortechs? Ai and ecotech are both a part of the same company so Mobius and myAI are really similar in my experience. Both are Bluetooth based and responsive.

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gone through the same internal debate for my Waterbox 20 cube build (still haven't set it up yet) and decided on the Nero 3 over the MP10. While I do like the wire/motor out of the water, I don't feel that justifies the price point. I will be running an AI Prime 16HD and like the idea of being able to control light and flow from just one app. I am hoping to mount the Nero on the back/false wall because I don't want to see it on the side of the tank (remains to be seen if this will be a good spot or not). Good luck with your decision!
I’m in the same boat, I’ve got a 20 cube and can’t decide on what to get? Nero or Mp10? What did you end up going with?

stylolvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the same boat, I’ve got a 20 cube and can’t decide on what to get? Nero or Mp10? What did you end up going with?
I went with the Nero3 but still don't have water in the tank. I did test it out for a few minutes in my wife's 20L freshwater tank and at 100% steady flow, it was something like those cichlids had never before experienced! Plenty of flow across 24" of tank. I placed it about half way up the glass and pointed it up a bit. Lots of surface agitation and the fake plants looked like they were in a Cat 1 hurricane. Looking forward to see how it moves the water in the cube.

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gone through the same internal debate for my Waterbox 20 cube build (still haven't set it up yet) and decided on the Nero 3 over the MP10. While I do like the wire/motor out of the water, I don't feel that justifies the price point. I will be running an AI Prime 16HD and like the idea of being able to control light and flow from just one app. I am hoping to mount the Nero on the back/false wall because I don't want to see it on the side of the tank (remains to be seen if this will be a good spot or not). Good luck with your decision!
I’ve went with the Nero 3 on my waterbox 20 and WOW. I’ve got 2 Nero 5’s on a 6 foot tank and that’s all. Some serious water movement. The water movement with the Nero 3 is incredible. I’m going to buy one more because I want to do SPS. So I get two pumps for the price of one Mp10.

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you asked this back in November but I thought I’d chime in with my experience. I have 2 mp10s on my 50gallon cube. They’re whisper quiet and move a lot of water. The app also lets you customize your flow and really get a random flow going which is great. The driver is also outside of the tank so that’s a plus for some people (no cords in the tank). The MP10s do stick out outside of the tank a little bit.

I recently had an MP10 give out so I replaced it with a Nero 3. I don’t like the look of the mp10s on the side glass and I don’t have enough space behind my tank for the mp10. The nero has a much smaller clearance outside of the tank. The flow on the Nero seems more broad than the MP10. That’s a plus for me. You can customize the flow in the app like the vortechs so they’re the same when it comes to programming.

The nero is a little louder when it’s above 75%. Not bad but there’s a noticeable difference.

after using both I think I’m ready to sell my MP10s and have 2 Nero 3s on the back glass.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at both of these as well. On Vortech's website, they have a flow calculator. When putting my tank (14G) into it, the reccomended flow was well out of the MP10's optimal zone. It's too powerful for my small tank. FOr that reason I'm leaning toward and Nero 3.

I have an mp10 in a 14g, not sure you can say it’s too powerful as they can go down to a very low percentage, I have a flow director on mine, tuned up to 35%.
Also remember the mp10 can move with an upgrade tank, would the Nero 3 also be suited for a larger tank?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back