AI Prime HD Question

MDeVito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
Running the Prime HD over my reef and today was cleaning and adjusting it I noticed the leds are giving off some serious heat, hot enough to make me pull my finger away quickly when I touched it accidentally, is this normal? Anyone else have primes that also get hot? I was under the impression LEDs are lower heat.

Thanks
Matt

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
Running the Prime HD over my reef and today was cleaning and adjusting it I noticed the leds are giving off some serious heat, hot enough to make me pull my finger away quickly when I touched it accidentally, is this normal? Anyone else have primes that also get hot? I was under the impression LEDs are lower heat.

Thanks
Matt
How old is the prime and is the fan running normal? LEDs will give off some heat I know my kessil ap700 gets pretty warm

OP
OP
MDeVito

MDeVito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime is about 9 months old, hasn't been running that long. Fan was off for a minute when I checked it but then it kicked on.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the UV is at 119. I'm using the schedule suggested by BRS TV in their youtube video.
Have you given the fan a good cleaning since you got it like taking a can of compressed air and blowing the fan out getting any dust off of the heatsink and out of the unit

OP
OP
MDeVito

MDeVito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah usually once a month ill dust them and make sure they working. It was strange though today after being off for a couple weeks, I plugged the light in and the fan didnt run, so I unplugged it and powered it up again and it was on.

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late update, this thread slipped my mind. But I did check all 4 of my AI Primes and all of them run hot. When I put my finger on the lens I can hold it there for a second before it basically starts to burn my finger. I basically burnt my fingers tips 4 times haha. I guess they are supposed to run this hot and I wouldn't worry about it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back