Ai sol

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever used this light and if so what was your take on it. Thinking about using it in my 50 long. It's the white one with 8 pucks

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a fan personally. Had a lot of problems with it losing settings and resetting to 100% intensity.

Tyler mikos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used tham at a reef shop I work at, we've had them since they first were released. As long as they don't reset to 100% which never happened to us, except for when a co worker incorrectly would change the spectrum. They grow corals as well as any of the LEDS ive seen released recently. If you can get them for a good price, and can prove they work correctly, Id highly recommend them.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had three on my 55 long for close to a year. Hasn't lost programming with the controller , yea. It's fine.

These guys like it.

IMG_0193.JPG

That's 15in from top to bottom btw.

OP
OP
trevormass7

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used tham at a reef shop I work at, we've had them since they first were released. As long as they don't reset to 100% which never happened to us, except for when a co worker incorrectly would change the spectrum. They grow corals as well as any of the LEDS ive seen released recently. If you can get them for a good price, and can prove they work correctly, Id highly recommend them.
Do you think one with 8 pucks will be enough for a 40 breeder?

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mention that you have the "white" one. Is it an AI Sol White? Or is the housing just white? AI released two version of the Sol, the White and the Blue. The AI Sol White has 16 white LEDs and 8 royal blue LEDs, and produces a much whiter light. The AI Sol Blue has 8 white LEDs, 8 blue LEDs, and 8 royal blue LEDs. Both variants came in a white and black version, so you'll need to look at the controller to tell which it is. If it's the White version of the AI Sol, I probably would pass. I think it'll be tough to get a bluer look out of it and still get enough PAR.

I've had the AI Sol Blue since it came out. I have it over my QT now. Overall, most of the corals love it. There are one or two frags that are not happy, but that could be an intensity or water quality issue. The monti caps are encrusting all over their plugs, and one Acropora vermiculata is showing great growth and color. It's encrusting the epoxy base and is starting to grow corallites out of the new flesh. Never had an issue with the 100% intensity reset, so I can't speak to that.

Overall though, it definitely works well. Personally, I wouldn't spend more than $200 or so if you are looking to get one. They're definitely older, and a newer light with a warranty may be worth the extra money. If you just want a cheap LED light that will grow corals, a black box might be a better choice. You get more LED colors and it's probably going to be cheaper.

Desmo996

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kinda late to this thread, but I've been using the AI Sol blue on my 40 gal feeder for about 5 years now. I have a mixed reef, with no fish. I keep the coral that need more light near the middle and/or higher and those requiring less to the outside. I have it positioned about 10 inches about the water. The intensity is only set to 35% at the bright part of the day settings. So it has, and yes I've done it, more than enough power to burn my corals. Sure, it'd be nice to have two but I've made it work. Oh and I've never had the reset problems as previously mentioned in a thread. I hope this helps

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the Sol will work with AI Director that might take care of the settings issue. I never used Sol's but used Vega's which were the next upgrade and they were very reliable with the Director. The other wireless controller was a pain to use.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back