AI to Mitras? Talk me into it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

TigerReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @Vinny@GHLUSA @Ditto and R2Rers!

I am hoping to pester you with another GHL question/advice. My tank is a Red Sea 625 XXL. The dimensions of the tank are: 59” L x 23.6” H x 25.6” W, the display is 133G, total water volume is 165G. Young mixed reef, mostly frags.

Currently, I am running 4 x AI Hydra 32 for lighting on Saxby's schedule. But... I am very interested in switching to the GHL Mitras. I am thinking possibly 2 x LX7206 with 1 x LX7204 in the center (over the RS 625XXL return box.)

As my tank matures, I’d like to shift from a starter mixed to a more SPS dominated reef. Will this combo of 7206 & 7204 be sufficient to "grow into”?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As my tank matures, I’d like to shift from a starter mixed to a more SPS dominated reef. Will this combo of 7206 & 7204 be sufficient to "grow into”?
In my world - yes - and a much better combinations of wave lenghts than other lights. I was watching Red Seas "busting myths about light" - the only thing that I can say about at least the bust of the "PAR myth" - if they are right - we should never ever see any corals out in the wild in the the depth of 0 to 5 meters. I run Mitras LED bars " on my aquarium and I´m very pleased with them

Sincerely Lasse

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TigerReef - with three and the way you plan to do it with the 7204 where the overflow is is a great idea and should have no issues for the tank to grow into.

What is you plans to mount them?

OP
OP
TigerReef

TigerReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my world - yes - and a much better combinations of wave lenghts than other lights. I was watching Red Seas "busting myths about light" - the only thing that I can say about at least the bust of the "PAR myth" - if they are right - we should never ever see any corals out in the wild in the the depth of 0 to 5 meters. I run Mitras LED bars " on my aquarium and I´m very pleased with them

Sincerely Lasse
That is a really good point that is often overlooked. Thank you for your input @Lasse. An endorsement from you carries a lot of weight.

OP
OP
TigerReef

TigerReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TigerReef - with three and the way you plan to do it with the 7204 where the overflow is is a great idea and should have no issues for the tank to grow into.

What is you plans to mount them?
Hi @Ditto,

@KStatefan is correct. This is Vinny's home office build setup over a 425XL.

My living room ceiling is cofferd over the tank, so I am unable to suspend cables/rails, etc. and have it look decent. I am very interested in the 80/20 DIY rig Vinny and @ReefDudes built but unsure of some of the fastening connections. Also, the tank is up and running so I'm not sure if I would have enough access to secure the vertical support rail to the back of the stand. I have about 5 - 6" to work with from the wall.

I suppose I can always just mount them on the Mitras arms? I am open to any and all ideas.

OP
OP
TigerReef

TigerReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse @Ditto Okay, weekend update: I did it! I have 2 LX7206 and 1 LX7204 up and mounted on my tank. I am using my P4 to control all three lights.

1. I installed a PLM-PWC card in my P4 controller, configured on Channel 11 - Address 1 (Master) and the lights as: Light 1 - Channel 11, Address 2 (Slave); Light 2 - Channel 11, Address 3 (Slave); and Light 3 - Channel 11, Address 4 (Slave). I set the current time & date and configured the touch keys.
2. I uploaded and installed ReefRocker's light schedule from the GHL support site. I save the file and transmitted the light settings.

IMG_2623.PNG

The illumination channels are visible and show activity on MyGHL Cloud and GHL Connect app and GCC, but the actual lights are not on? Please help?

OP
OP
TigerReef

TigerReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS - If anyone is interested in 4 like new AI Hydra 32s in white, PM me. $325/ea shipped to lower 48 including HMS mount! I ran the Hydras at 40% for 5 months.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TigerReef - Tagging @Vinny@GHLUSA also on this thread.

1- Is the light blinking on the PWC Card within the P4.
2- Did you reboot the LX7206 and 7204 after you set them to slave? You should not have to but wanted to to know if you tried that :).
3- What firmware are you running on the P4 and the 7206 and 7204?
4- I know you already did this but your 100% sure the lights are on Wireless 11 channels 2, 3 and 4 and the P4 is 11 channel 1.

What you outlined is correct and follows exactly the how to guide also at:

OP
OP
TigerReef

TigerReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, thank you @Ditto i watched your 3 part series three times and ready both GHL Mitras manuals cover to cover twice. I am really trying not to be a bother, but I feel like it’s probably a checkmark missing/added somewhere. I do see that the percentages I am seeing on the app I am not seeing on the physical light display. Do you suppose this is an issue with the wireless expansion card or the firmware?

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never a bother as if it something simple or even complex someone else someday may face the same issue.

power down all but one for the lights. Switch that light to channel 8’wireless w and the P4 to Channel 8’wireless one.

reboot the P4 and see if the light on the PWc turns on and then reboot the light.

when you did the light schedule did you also test the light schedule in the light composer to see if it impacted the lights?

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And your confirmed the times on the lights also correct?

OP
OP
TigerReef

TigerReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ditto yes, the time is showing correct on the physical light displays.

when I try to switch the P4 to channel 8, it will not allow me the option to go >11 only higher? Do I need to change the lights first then the P4?

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TigerReef - no you should be able to as it could be either the P4 or the lights shouldn't
Matter who first.

• Connect to your ProfiLux via GHL Control Center
  • Go to the System settings page and click the PWC expansion card
  • Click Configure and choose a different channel number
  • Go to each LX fixture and set them to the same channel

what firmware are you on with your p4. And to verify the light on the pwc card is blinking?

OP
OP
TigerReef

TigerReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ditto

I do not have the option to change to channel 8. The box is greyed out now. When I select the channel drop down, I only see channels 11 and higher. This is the case from the Mitras menu also?
image0.png

My P4 firmware is: 7.23 dated 9/6/2019
My WiFi firmware is: 7078

The light on the PWC card is not on, but the P4 recognized it is in the slot?
image1.png
image2.jpeg

OP
OP
TigerReef

TigerReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ditto - okay, I think I'm going to go a different way for now. I removed the PWC card from the P4. I set one of the LX7206s to Master and connected to it via its Hotspot. I left the 2 remaining lights set to Slave mode. All the lights are on for now.

I cannot get the Master connected to my home wifi. It's configured in network settings, but I imagine I have something wrong in the IP address settings similar to when I set up the P4.

I am giving up for now. Thank you for all your help!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What shows the picture? As I know it P4 has only two expansion cards. It seems like you have found a third. I check with the manual and - your right - there is three but only two accessible from the outside. I learned something new today. But I read the manual and it says:

3.2.4 Expansion Slots
The ProfiLux 4 allows you to modularly expand upon the existing system by using the 3 on-board Expansion Card slots. If you wish to add additional sensors, powerbars, dimmable lamps, etc, you can install up to 2 ProfiLux Expansion Cards. Two of the slots are accessible externally and used for connecting external accessories. The third expansion slot inside the housing is solely for Expansion Cards which require no access from the outside. (E.g. PLM PWC).
When these slots are full, you can further expand the ProfiLux 4 by connecting our Expansion Box 2 to it. Doing so will grant you even more resources such as sensor connections, 1-10 V interfaces and switching outputs.
This could be a mistake (only 2 usable of the three) - but I´m not sure because if I translate the german manual it says 2 accessible too
Below - the German manual translated with help of Google translate
ProfiLux 4 / 4e is modularly expandable. In order to be able to use additional sensors, socket strips, dimmable lights, etc., the installation of up to 2 additional ProfiLux expansion cards is possible. Two of the slots are externally accessible. Only cards that do not require external access, such as PLM PWC, can be connected to an additional third expansion slot inside the housing.
In addition, you can expand the ProfiLux 4 / 4e with an additionally available extension box with additional resources such as sensor connections, 1-10 V interfaces and switching outputs.

@Vinny@GHLUSA can you correct me or confirm that only 2 slots are useful - even if there is 3?

I check the configuration I did at my job. I configure the main interface (in the p4) to channel 11 and id 6 and I use a normal expansion slot. The 4 mitra get the id 1 to 4

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TigeReef ok let me know when you need help we are here. PM when your ready again and I can help on the setup of the lights.

Last edited:
Back