AIO Thoughts / Opinions

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just broke down my 60 gallon (thank you children), but my daughter loved the tank so I decided to use the proceeds from the sales of the EQ to buy an AIO that is much smaller and can live in the living room where she can see the tank.

I was originally set on buying a Red Sea Reefer Deluxe 170, but it seems a lot of people think they're overpriced. The advantage is it comes ALMOST ready to use out of the box. I plan on keeping this tank to mostly fish with live rock and maybe some zoa's or softies, but nothing difficult.

Now I know this could end up with a lot of Ford/Chevy type of talk, but I'm looking for some honest opinions on a tank setup that comes with almost everything I need. And when I say everything, I mean stand, sump (if necessary), arm for light and so on. I'm looking for the display to be in the 30-40 gallon range.

Last edited:

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what you get, I’ve had no complaints about Red Sea or Innovative Marine tanks. Set up a Waterbox for a buddy and that was great as well.

The only thing that frustrates me about any of them is my inevitable desire to want to change things which is obviously difficult.

Side note, AIO is reserved in a lot of descriptions to mean the filtration is hidden in the rear of the display vs having a sump. I personally would avoid them as they really to limit options long term.

OP
OP
djbetterly

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re correct about the AIO, I shouldn’t have said that.

What did you think of Waterbox vs Red Sea having set both up? Curious about everything from quality, to plumbing, etc.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re correct about the AIO, I shouldn’t have said that.

What did you think of Waterbox vs Red Sea having set both up? Curious about everything from quality, to plumbing, etc.
You weren’t wrong using AIO as some manufacturers do use it for “all inclusive systems” just be careful to check when you go to buy to make sure you get the option you want :)

The quality is pretty close these days honestly. Waterbox definitely seems a little more flexible but some of the more recent Red Seas seem much more thought out. Given it’s 2022 I’d purchase based on availability, tanks seem hard to find at the moment as with everything else.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you WANT an AIO, why not consider the BioCube 32? Got mine brand new with stand for about $600. Add in the cost of the SmartFarm light ($160) and you are still doing better cost wise than a Waterbox or RedSea.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just broke down my 60 gallon (thank you children), but my daughter loved the tank so I decided to use the proceeds from the sales of the EQ to buy an AIO that is much smaller and can live in the living room where she can see the tank.

I was originally set on buying a Red Sea Reefer Deluxe 170, but it seems a lot of people think they're overpriced. The advantage is it comes ALMOST ready to use out of the box. I plan on keeping this tank to mostly fish with live rock and maybe some zoa's or softies, but nothing difficult.

Now I know this could end up with a lot of Ford/Chevy type of talk, but I'm looking for some honest opinions on a tank setup that comes with almost everything I need. And when I say everything, I mean stand, sump (if necessary), arm for light and so on. I'm looking for the display to be in the 30-40 gallon range.
I think you can't really go wrong with any of the AIO tanks out there, Ford or Chevy will both get you there.

My take away from this is your concern about what other people think is "overpriced".
What really matters is what you think and what you put value in. If that RedSea is calling your name then get it. You will be happy. If money is your driving factor maybe you would be happier with a Waterbox.

Either way new tank wins over no tank every single time.

Good luck.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sump system will definitely give you more options but on a softie tank that is small, all you really need is mechanical filtration, light, heat , and water movement so you can save some money there if you wanted. Nicer ones would be waterbox, innovative marine, fijicube etc. You could also just get a 30 gal or 40 breeder and let your daughter choose the color to paint the rim and make it her own (just a way to get her involved more) and drop in a power filter or aio filter box from fijicube (linked below)

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you WANT an AIO, why not consider the BioCube 32? Got mine brand new with stand for about $600. Add in the cost of the SmartFarm light ($160) and you are still doing better cost wise than a Waterbox or RedSea.
If the plan is just to do softies and some LPS, this would definitely be adequate and significantly less expensive. I like the 28g JBJ Nanocube over the Biocube, but they’re both great, simple tanks that are pretty much plug and play. They’re both infinitely upgradable, but are also totally viable just using the stock equipment. I get that the rounded front corners and the hood aren’t what’s popular right now (rimless, hard angles), but as far as simplicity, they can’t be beat.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

After rereading this paragraph, I would heavily suggest the BioCube over any of the others. Fish only systems do not require nearly the level of water quality and consistency that a tank filled with SPS does. Most Zoa's and other softies actually prefer "dirtier" water.

There are a LOT of people here who use the BioCube 32 completely stock out of the box and have amazing reefs. One thing that makes this an attractive option is that it really is ready to go right from the box. The only piece of equipment you will need is a heater. The pumps and lights are all included.

bmkid1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it comes down to preference. Everything people have said previously are true, benefits to upgrade with a sump, but your stock goals don’t really need super high tech.
I got my water box aio 50.3 (months of comparing between Red Sea) a few months back, and I love it. I use filter floss cups, and that’s my main “maintenance” besides cleaning skimmer cup.
I keep fish with live rock, and a few sps til I get more mature a tank. I went with AIO for easier moving / apartment living, and it does limit some of the future if I want to upgrade, but I tinker too much and want more stability. This is more a dead lock into what I enjoyed!

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Innovated marine is the only one that comes with pre built screen and craftsmanship is solid. Also at a price u cant beat
I wanted to suggest IM but didn't want to come across as the biased fanboy that I am... ;)

ninjahreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered mine during Black Friday. Waiting for delivery at the end of month

NanoBoxes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Innovative Marine 40g AIO has been a great tank for over 6 years now. I’ve been very happy with it!

No sump, chambers in back.

C93DC0C9-BE95-4CBC-8E08-9BCD34524284.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
djbetterly

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up with IM40 AIO. The tank will be mostly just fish and some softies, nothing complicated so I felt that was just the easiest. Plus this way my kids won’t get into the sump.

should have the tank in a week or two.

Looking for some unique rock options, but seems the interesting stuff is no longer available. A lot of basic Marco Rock kind of stuff. Any unique vendors out there with dry rock?

Stones-Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had the biocube 28g, the IM 40g, and currently have the JBJ 60g. Have had great experiences with each. Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at our aquariums. Our aio are full wet /dry, come in hundreds of varieties and styles. We've been making them for over forty years. All of them ship ready to run.

Attachments

• AE6717C4-77B7-467B-83BD-28233DA6C393.jpeg
    AE6717C4-77B7-467B-83BD-28233DA6C393.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 14
  • A99471AE-20D1-4A2D-B1F3-72C34BF52D31.jpeg
    A99471AE-20D1-4A2D-B1F3-72C34BF52D31.jpeg
    40.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 4129F20A-9370-40FC-B670-9E447B5209E1.jpeg
    4129F20A-9370-40FC-B670-9E447B5209E1.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 13
  • FFBF395B-3AAF-4310-8517-C3A042E20043.jpeg
    FFBF395B-3AAF-4310-8517-C3A042E20043.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 16

DxSOR25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever get a tank? I am currently selling a IM nuvo 20 with stand and light and more. I have a post here in the classifieds. Asking 300. Im in Caldwell. I love the tank just have too many now haha.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 49 83.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back