AIO vs standard

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Nano folks,
Sooooo.....I am thinking of setting back up a nano. ( dont tell the GF) I would like to create a peninsula nano with some cool ideas I have.

so the question is AIO vs standard?
any pros and cons of each?

i like the look if the IM 20 peninsula but a $250 I could get a lot of gear for the tank.
looking at the aquamax rimless as well.
or just use the 20L I have and spend that $$ on goodies.

thoughts, feedback very much welcome!
cheers,
D

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The practical side of me says use what you have. The knee jerk, immidiate attraction for me is an AIO.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Just did my first AIO, wow I love it. No bending over to a sump etc.
yeah there is not going to be a sump. altho I might do a canister filter with inline heater to keep the DT as clans as possible...

The practical side of me says use what you have. The knee jerk, immidiate attraction for me is an AIO.
haha yeah right. the reef is bluer on the other side of the tank...um wait does that make any sense?? I do likek the 20L and I have an AC 50 with intank media basket.

would love a rimless tank but is it worth the extra $$?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I didnt like about going from a standard to a AIO was the return pump. If loud it can be stressful on fish. When I transitioned from a standard to a AIO, my fish started jumping.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'll look in to the fiji cubes inserts. I think I know what you are talking about.
I have a dang near complete 75 I am trying to sale to fund this project. if it goes through then i am in.

Dennis McGrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Fluval Evo 13.5 and a Biocube 32 and would LOVE to have a IM 20. I really like the look of it better than both the tanks I have.

TheWalkman99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say 20l and spend money on goodies. But if your not running I would get an AIO such a clean look.
People say the Inovative Marine return pump is loud but I can barely hear mine in my 40 gallon.

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say get an AIO you won’t regret it!
They’re super convenient and hide everything. Also I just like the look of AIO better

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say get an AIO you won’t regret it!
They’re super convenient and hide everything. Also I just like the look of AIO better

I do like the fact they hide everything, but you can do the same with a 20L with the fii cube or the like.
but yeah AIO are nice just trying to decide what they really offer for the extra cash...

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you searched your local club? I got a used IM20 peninsula for half the price of a new one.

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about Waterbox AIO? They are a tad cheaper than IM. Although, they don't offer a nano peninsula.

https://www.waterboxaquariums.com/cube/cube-nano/

yup that was my 1st thought. I did reach out to them in the sponsor forum to see if they make peninsula tanks and they said they dont.
not sure why?? lots of ppl like them.

if I dont do with a pen. tank I will for sure look into them. but I really like to the look of peninsula tanks its like have 3 tanks in 1...

I might try my hand at building one to. maybe to a acrylic 26"lx20"wx 12"h+ that way I still get my 3 side tank but lighting is not such a pain...lol

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I consider AIOs a huge waste of money. What are you paying for? A little section in the back to hide equipment? Is that worth hundreds markup over a Petco $ per gallon aquarium? Not IMO. I'd rather put that money towards livestock. You can buy a piece of black or blue acrylic for cheap and slot it with a dremel, install with silicone and bam, you've got an AIO.

Back