OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I consider AIOs a huge waste of money. What are you paying for? A little section in the back to hide equipment? Is that worth hundreds markup over a Petco $ per gallon aquarium? Not IMO. I'd rather put that money towards livestock. You can buy a piece of black or blue acrylic for cheap and slot it with a dremel, install with silicone and bam, you've got an AIO.

yeah I thought about that too. but what I consider you are paying for in the low iron glass and build quality.

one could get a aquamax 22 low iron standard tank for $200 and still need to filter it some how. so price wise you in the same boat.
but yes if you did not want/need build quality/rimless/low iran the petco 20L is a nice tank.

and I might just use the one I have too...

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @Bouncingsoul39 said, AIOs are overpriced, and sometimes have inadequate filtration. I built my own AIO on a 33L because as a college student, I didnt want to move back and forth with a sump. Since there were no AIO sizes I liked, I built my own. I paid $60 for the tank and $120 to get acrylic cut. I thought $180 for a custom 33gallon tank was worth it...

I made a thread about the build, it was pretty easy to do.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I thought about that too. but what I consider you are paying for in the low iron glass and build quality.

one could get a aquamax 22 low iron standard tank for $200 and still need to filter it some how. so price wise you in the same boat.
but yes if you did not want/need build quality/rimless/low iran the petco 20L is a nice tank.

and I might just use the one I have too...

Build quality is really important to me in a large tank that I don't want failing down the line. But it may not even be the quality per se, but the design. Like Mike Paletta's new tank being Euro braced both on the top AND the bottom for improved structural integrity. Nothing to do with quality. Even then, something is only high quality until it busts a seam. People don't even keep tanks long enough for there to be an established best quality and there is no best quality aquarium in the hobby. It's just the flavor of the month or year that is selling.
For a small tank, is there really any noticeable difference that would justify the cost? I mean people throw around "quality" but never get into actual specifics of what that actually means and why it's important. I swore that SCA tanks are garbage tier quality due to the way the silicone was applied but other people swear they are high quality tanks. Things like diamond polished and beveled edges and black silicone are not quality, they are features that tank manufacturers charge more for.

I agree on your point about low-iron though. That's a personal choice of whether or not it's worth the extra cost to have glass without a slight green tint to it.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @Bouncingsoul39 said, AIOs are overpriced, and sometimes have inadequate filtration. I built my own AIO on a 33L because as a college student, I didnt want to move back and forth with a sump. Since there were no AIO sizes I liked, I built my own. I paid $60 for the tank and $120 to get acrylic cut. I thought $180 for a custom 33gallon tank was worth it...

I made a thread about the build, it was pretty easy to do.

I am all about saving money and DIYing
i need/want a super clean look easy to care for and gets the job done.
I have even thought about building one either glass or acrylic

got a link to your build thread?

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build quality is really important to me in a large tank that I don't want failing down the line. But it may not even be the quality per se, but the design. Like Mike Paletta's new tank being Euro braced both on the top AND the bottom for improved structural integrity. Nothing to do with quality. Even then, something is only high quality until it busts a seam. People don't even keep tanks long enough for there to be an established best quality and there is no best quality aquarium in the hobby. It's just the flavor of the month or year that is selling.
For a small tank, is there really any noticeable difference that would justify the cost? I mean people throw around "quality" but never get into actual specifics of what that actually means and why it's important. I swore that SCA tanks are garbage tier quality due to the way the silicone was applied but other people swear they are high quality tanks. Things like diamond polished and beveled edges and black silicone are not quality, they are features that tank manufacturers charge more for.

I agree on your point about low-iron though. That's a personal choice of whether or not it's worth the extra cost to have glass without a slight green tint to it.

very well said and I agree it is hard in this hobby to pin point what does "quality" mean and yes most of what we are paying for is marketing to brainwash us into believing X brand is better than Y brand.

all that said sometimes you do get what you pay for. yes totally agree AIO are way overpriced for what they offer and that price point they better clean them self's or bring me a cocktail when I get home from work. but like you pointed out some features are seen as "better" like 45 cut edges, low iron glass, choice of silicone color, rimless etc. so we tend to pay more for them.

I struggle (hence this thread ) as i have expensive taste on a frugal budget. yes I want polished 45 degree edges, yes I want my choice of silicone color, yes I want it to be rimless and YES I want it to be reasonably priced. is that to much to ask for?
um in this hobby sure is...haha

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comparing an IM or waterbox tank to a petco tank or a Mr Aqua or Aquamaxx the cost/benefit looks like this to me:

AIOs let you hide equipment and they also let you easily add / use equipment. If you want a fuge or carbon or filter floss or an ATO it is easy to add them to an AIO because of the built in chamber without changing the look of the tank. For a petco or mr Aqua tank you’d need to add a hob to add anything (or a canister as you mentioned).

AIOs look better then the petco tank. They lack the black trim, they hide wires and equipment more easily.

I don’t think quality is really the issue. The issue is looks and ease of adding equipment. That’s what you pay for when you get an AIO in my opinion.

My feeling about my own 10 gallon nuvo is that sometimes I wish it was not an AIO so that the fish had more space. There is an amazing 12 gallon reef on nano-reef that is a Mr Aqua tank without any filtration but live rock and it works great. But I love having the heater and floss be totally hidden and the tank is also aesthetically pleasing to me so I’m happy to have an AIO in the end.

DaninSarasota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like the AIO for the fact that water level stays constant in the tank. i ran a 20g before by 6g cube and it would drive me crazy with the water fluctuations. yes, i know ATO is an option but i go low tech on these nano/pico tanks.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comparing an IM or waterbox tank to a petco tank or a Mr Aqua or Aquamaxx the cost/benefit looks like this to me:

AIOs let you hide equipment and they also let you easily add / use equipment. If you want a fuge or carbon or filter floss or an ATO it is easy to add them to an AIO because of the built in chamber without changing the look of the tank. For a petco or mr Aqua tank you’d need to add a hob to add anything (or a canister as you mentioned).

AIOs look better then the petco tank. They lack the black trim, they hide wires and equipment more easily.

I don’t think quality is really the issue. The issue is looks and ease of adding equipment. That’s what you pay for when you get an AIO in my opinion.

My feeling about my own 10 gallon nuvo is that sometimes I wish it was not an AIO so that the fish had more space. There is an amazing 12 gallon reef on nano-reef that is a Mr Aqua tank without any filtration but live rock and it works great. But I love having the heater and floss be totally hidden and the tank is also aesthetically pleasing to me so I’m happy to have an AIO in the end.

yup pretty much my thoughts too.
I have decided on a sleek rimless tank. now just got to decide between AIO or aquamax,ADA UNL ect.

nice I have been looking for used IM 20 but living in the middle of now where not much reefers out here.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking more about what I like about my nuvo- changing out filter pads and carbon and stuff is very easy with the in tank basket. My hands don’t have to l go into the tank or even the back chamber. In comparison to a Hob and esp a canister filter the maintenance is a bit faster, easier and dryer.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AIO limits your water volume with a regular tank you can always have a large sump.

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am all about saving money and DIYing
i need/want a super clean look easy to care for and gets the job done.
I have even thought about building one either glass or acrylic

got a link to your build thread?

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/33-long-build.366016/

Link is above, feel free to ask questions. I didnt see many AIO custom threads when I built this, so Id be happy to help. After finishing this tank, I feel like I will never buy a name brand tank again, just do everything myself.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AIO limits your water volume with a regular tank you can always have a large sump.

true but on this build I don't think I want a sump as crazy as that sounds. normally that is my do to. but for this tank and having limited space I think a sump less is better. that said does a 10/15 gal sump take any more space than a canister filter?? prob. not ( depends on the size of canister filter )

hmmm good think I am not in a rush for this build I still got to get the 90 set back up everything in the 40br holding tank.
but black Friday is coming so I just got to thinking...

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
true but on this build I don't think I want a sump as crazy as that sounds. normally that is my do to. but for this tank and having limited space I think a sump less is better. that said does a 10/15 gal sump take any more space than a canister filter?? prob. not ( depends on the size of canister filter )

hmmm good think I am not in a rush for this build I still got to get the 90 set back up everything in the 40br holding tank.
but black Friday is coming so I just got to thinking...

Honestly the AIO works just as well as a sump. Especially if your doing a peninsula tank, it would be so easy to make a back wall with over flow and baffles. IDK if you looked at my thread, but I put two filter boxes in the tank on either side, it was not extremely tricky to construct, but a peninsula AIO build would be very easy. Id do that system over a canister any day. My filter boxes partnered with my oversized HOB skimmer (aqua c remora s), cause me to have no issues with water quality.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still deciding where the tank will go. then i can decide on best size of tank that will fit my needs I might end up DIYing a complete tank.
that could be a fun project of it works..haha gonna get a quote for some acrylic. as go from there.

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still deciding where the tank will go. then i can decide on best size of tank that will fit my needs I might end up DIYing a complete tank.
that could be a fun project of it works..haha gonna get a quote for some acrylic. as go from there.

I'm about to embark on a custom made mangrove AIO tank. Going to order glass soon.

Would love any input on design ideas.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/m...stocking-questions.466530/page-3#post-5188913

Regardless, Ill keep an eye on this thread. Always down to watch DIY projects come to life.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jennesque

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://oceanboxdesigns.com/products/reef-conversion/

They sell a AIO kit for a standard 20 long..

I actually bought the IM 14 peninsula because it fit the footprint I needed. Very well made tank.. I did replace the pump, because it was a bit loud. The glass is beautiful, silicone seems perfect.. everything looks very well made.

I bought my frag rack from Ocean Box Designs and it's well made, so I would assume their AIO kit is of equally high quality.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://oceanboxdesigns.com/products/reef-conversion/

They sell a AIO kit for a standard 20 long..

I actually bought the IM 14 peninsula because it fit the footprint I needed. Very well made tank.. I did replace the pump, because it was a bit loud. The glass is beautiful, silicone seems perfect.. everything looks very well made.

I bought my frag rack from Ocean Box Designs and it's well made, so I would assume their AIO kit is of equally high quality.

thanks for chiming in. that in as option for sure. a little pricey IMHO but it does look cool.
good to hear you loved your IM14. yeah I hear the pumps are load its a shame you have to upgrade it right away.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back