Aiphtasia Z the grinder

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I built up something that a lot of us thought of before and I call it for fun the Aiphtasia Z haha.
Here are the steps

1: Order this from amazon (or another one that might suit you up) + a dremel bit.

2: you need a 5/8 ID tube long enough to reach the bottom of your aquarium and bring water to a container
- In my version I use only succion
- If you plan on using a pump, I suggest your put a filter before (so rocks dont break your pump)

3: When you receive the extension just break the plastic off the attachment side of the cable
- You will end up having the cable + the attachment in two seperate parts (the plastic is very rigid)

attachment.jpg

4: make a hole so the whole cable is inside (including the attachment + a bit + some extra (I left 6 inches more))à
Let about 6 inchs of the drill side of the cable out(next picture).
5: Then seal the cable in place with some epoxy (I used gorilla wich is not that good on pvc tube) feel free to add a better cement in comment

drill.jpg

6: After the cement has set, put everything in place and with a pencil a piece of wood or anything that fits in the tube, just push the attachment inside the tube (not so it breaks tho).
-then write the tube down to how far it goes.

max in.jpg

7: cut the piece where you made your mark

8: install a drill and ask your wife to hold the drill while you go in your tank and grind and suck those aiphtasias OUT of your tank (or bubble algaes and other pests. (add new water to top off , don't put the water back in the tank!)

drill2.jpg

Merry Christmas reefers and R2R.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I built up something that a lot of us thought of before and I call it for fun the Aiphtasia Z haha.
Here are the steps

1: Order this from amazon (or another one that might suit you up) + a dremel bit.

2: you need a 5/8 ID tube long enough to reach the bottom of your aquarium and bring water to a container
- In my version I use only succion
- If you plan on using a pump, I suggest your put a filter before (so rocks dont break your pump)

3: When you receive the extension just break the plastic off the attachment side of the cable
- You will end up having the cable + the attachment in two seperate parts (the plastic is very rigid)

attachment.jpg

4: make a hole so the whole cable is inside (including the attachment + a bit + some extra (I left 6 inches more))à
Let about 6 inchs of the drill side of the cable out(next picture).
5: Then seal the cable in place with some epoxy (I used gorilla wich is not that good on pvc tube) feel free to add a better cement in comment

drill.jpg

6: After the cement has set, put everything in place and with a pencil a piece of wood or anything that fits in the tube, just push the attachment inside the tube (not so it breaks tho).
-then write the tube down to how far it goes.

max in.jpg

7: cut the piece where you made your mark

8: install a drill and ask your wife to hold the drill while you go in your tank and grind and suck those aiphtasias OUT of your tank (or bubble algaes and other pests. (add new water to top off , don't put the water back in the tank!)

drill2.jpg

Merry Christmas reefers and R2R.

Nice work. do you have any video of this beautiful piece of machinery in action?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang good concept, we need the work threads now for patterning. I bet it does work

OP
OP
anon9896

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that video, I had a cheap primer pump at the other end , I realized afterwards it was creating a lot of restriction on the flow... explaining the poor succion. I shall do another video this week-end on water change =) and I will try to keep the hose centered... taking a video as the rock moved a bit, I got distracted and everything... and excited to try it too :p

OP
OP
anon9896

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh and I will probably give away the prints for a centering unit in .stl(printable media) because I will do one for myself too.

OP
OP
anon9896

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IT appears that this post will get lost in the limbo of r2r haha

OP
OP
anon9896

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it on my list of interesting threads notepad so I can link it as needed to other peoples aiptasia threads. No worries, as you/we tweek the design I am betting people will follow along.
I really wish we could live in an aiphtasia-free world!

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting idea. I would not expect it to last long thanks to saltwater. The inner cable will rust in the sleeve quickly unless rinsed well in fresh water after use. I would take it apart and lubricate it with Pam or something reef safe/safe for human consumption.

OP
OP
anon9896

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the spot is still aiphtasialess , and I do not have any outbreak of aiphtasia if that was the question.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back