Aiptasia as a Pest - and HOW to get rid of it

leroytigerjohnson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally use super thick kalkwasser and a syringe to inject them, they melt rather fast and on a plus side, the tanks get a little boost of calcium and alkalinity. I probably go over my system every few months and hit the ones I can find.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s worked for me on aptasia and Majano is Kent Marine Supperbuffer Dkh. I mix in hot water and fill syringe and inject into center and it melts them. Sometimes I need to hit a 2nd time.

Killingtime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been at a loss and resorted to injecting them with Hydrogen Peroxide 12%. They bubble and melt instantly. My question is, am I spreading them using this method?
I've read everything I could find, is boiling water or Kalk paste a better option or just a different means to the same end?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been at a loss and resorted to injecting them with Hydrogen Peroxide 12%. They bubble and melt instantly. My question is, am I spreading them using this method?
I've read everything I could find, is boiling water or Kalk paste a better option or just a different means to the same end?
I use kalk paste mixed with sodium hydroxide, traps them inside a shell whist burning them. Sodium hydroxide also makes the solution sticky. The shell forms after a while and appears to be a precipitation from the saltwater, perhaps magnesium. Don’t mess with sodium hydroxide if you have no experience though. Keeping most flow off for 2 hours appears to result in zero Alkalinity increase on a 60 gallon tank, 2ml dose.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's one of the most popular and common pest in our reef system, and I don't saw any in the hobby to say "I never - ever got Aiptasia in my reef system"
I want everyone of you who got problem with or just found his best solution to share it here.
Like the TITLE say, can we collect many different opinions on how to take it off/remove/kill/etc..
I'll write down some of the methods I know, I'm been using, and I hear about. Everyone, if have some suggestions, descriptions and advices be free to tell us, if possible to be more detailed Please, because here I see every day at least 2 are asking about. Photos included will be a bit better for the people or the newcomers who don't have a clue and how to deal with.
LIke a question: Do you know good enough DIP solution which can take it off as a hitchhiker - pest from the LR/Corral or even Chaetomorpha Macroalgae ( many of you are getting it with that buying it from LFS or getting from friends infested with Aiptasia).
-> Aiptasia - Wiki <- / -> Aiptasia - basic <- / -> Aiptasia - thousands of photos <-

So I'll start with what I know it's working and I'm been testing:

-> Aiptasia X <- - probably the most popular in the Hobby: Shake the bottle -> fill the syringe with the liquid -> stop your pumps in the tank (not everyone do it, but is better to be done), stop return/s, wave makers etc.. -> go close with the syringe (with needle on it) slowly to the Aiptasia -> try to make the Aiptasia to digest it (usually everything what touch it, the Aiptasia is trying to digest) -> once the aiptasia touch with the tentacles over the needle push a bit in it mouth and dispose some liquid quickly in to can come over the aiptasia as well -> leave for another minute or 2 the water steady, and you can run your pumps and wave makers. Pros: depending how good you done the job, over 90% of the cases the aiptasia will be gone completely from the spot. Cons: if you fill with too much liquid from the syringe you can dama another inhabitants near/under it if it start fall off over them.

->F Aiptasia <- Stir well and shake prior to use. Turn off all power heads during application. Using included syringe, apply directly to aiptasia anemone. As you start to cover them, they will retract. Just cover them completely! Leave power heads off for 30 minutes or until product hardens. You can remove the hardened shell a few days later. After several hours, F-Aiptasia will create a 'shell' over the anemone and trap it with the caustic product inside the shell.
. Pros: Features by BRS Reef Safe; No injection required; No need to siphon anemone out of tank after application; Lasting results; No effects on water chemistry

-> Joes Juice Aiptasia/Majano killer<- -> Turn off powerheads before feeding. -> Shake well before use. -> Fill supplied syringe and tip with 'patent pending' mixture. -> For Aiptasia: Gently place syringe over their mouth, feed anemone a small amount of mixture. -> For Majano: Spread a small amount of mixture at their center. -> Both anemones will consume product and perish.
JoesJuice is an easy to use Reef safe product that will kill Aiptasia and Majano anemones. Simply feed the problem anemone a small amount of JoesJuice and watch the results. Within minutes, the anemone has disappeared and for good!

-> Peppermint shrimp <- - it will find and eat them it can keep the tank w/o Aiptasia, and don't need extra care (once the aiptasia is gone it can eat and another meaty food). Pros: It's good on eating aiptasia and is coming as a part of your CUC. Cons: many people write that them peppermint shrimp never touch the aiptasia they have. Like I know, many report they got/purchase fake shrimp as Peppermint, do your research about.
Have a look at this post to get how it look like, as there are few looking similar and only one can do the job for you: Peppermint shrimp - Lysmata wurdemanni

-> Filefish <- - Almost all the same as the Peppermint shrimp. I just know not all of them eat or touch aiptasia (the one which you are sure eat it, please show your exemplar Please) Cons: some can pick on your zoanthids

->Berghia (Aeolid nudibranch) <- - What to say about, this is one of the animals which is the Aiptasia predator, it's feeding on Aiptasia, it's eating only that, it will take all of it wherever it is in your system., the best way is ti have 2 or 3, but if you have small system 10-30G tank and 1 will be enough (depending how many Aiptasia are in your tank/sump. Pros: it will take complete care of the Aiptasia. Cons: once the Aiptasia get consumed and if don't have more, the Berghia will starve to death.
Berghia eating Aiptasia - ->VIDEO<- ,
IMG_20201020_094305.jpg
(Autor: @Sleeping Giant )

-> Super Glue <- can work, you have to seal it completely and some area around it to be sure it can't escape and to spread or to swim to another position. Pros: can be very effective if you done it properly and very simple method as the Super glue dry almost immediately and is harmless for the inhabitants (if used adequately). Cons: if you don't seal it properly, and/or the LR is very porous the aiptasia can eskape and to spread/move to another place. Can be very hard to reach it with the bottle under the water. If you use liquid, not gel Super glue it can easy harden the hole and you can't squeeze under the water. Isn't good to use it if the Aiptasia is in close contact to corals (you can damage them).

-> pulling it out <- - you can do that easy if the Aiptasia is on flat surface, on a Chaetomorpha Macroalgae, glass etc but I'll suggest not to do it with bare hands, will sting you (if your skin is more sensitive) and try to catch it completely w/o leaving any single piece of it, because it can regrow almost always if left there some of it.

-> fresh, tap, RO/DI water <- depending on what you got aiptasia you can use that one as well. Very good for washing LR, Chaetomorpha Macroalgae (for 5 minutes will be completely enough w/o damaging the algae), after just dip in some aged tank water and you can put it in your tank/sump back again. Pros: Aiptasia can't survive after FW DIP, only if it's in deep crevice hole and the water isn't reaching the entire body Cons: you will kill most of the life in the LR, can damage corals if you dip them that way.

-> lemon juice/vinegar <- - the same as the Aiptasia X, but this one you can use it over the aiptasia and is good to squeeze some on the base if you can reach, to melt completely the body. Pros: almost always work as charm Cons: be very careful how much you use in to your system, it can change you PH, KH and some other chemical processes if you use too much.

Have on mind:
- always when you do use any chemicals: not to put in your system too much, because they can bring some negatives on the chemical processes. If you are using animals like peppermint shrimp, or filefish: try to compare the one is it the particular which do the job, because of the many reports not all eat Aiptasia in real, and some are sold as them, but aren't really the same SP
- If you can to pull out the LR or the frag out of the tank, to treat it in a box filled with tank water, will be the best way, because that way you are avoiding filling your tank with chemicals. At the end of the process just rinse it with some tank water, and you will be good to put it back on plase

if some of my writing isn't true, or you have additional advise or something to include, please write it down in your comments, all the info can be helpful for the rest in the hobby

Also I'll ask #reefsqaud members to check it, and if there is something and have different opinion which is good to be sticked on the top post, please do it, I'll check regularly and will take care to include it
A few weeks back I noticed two medium sized aptasia. One in the middle of a zoa colony ( the surrounding zoas were irritated) and in a hard to reach area between my two hammers. I figured if I saw two there were probably many more. I got 4 Berghia nudibranchs and released them on the zoa garden. The next morning the aptasia was gone and a week later the other one on the opposite side of the tank was gone. Forever my go to.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every one Please if you have and can upload and Photos of the animals you are been using. I want to update the main post with much as possible information for everyone reading the thread Please.
I'll appreciate every post from you to can build the perfect guide. Soon I'll check how many and what methods are been successful and not, and Will update each treatment/option by this.
At the moment I'm collecting information as much as possible.
Here is one out on the glass this , it was not very photogenic. Also a much better video but I’m not sure it will be viewable.
7CB18A3F-27DA-4972-8CEF-2C1C1050E444.jpeg

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried putting their Berghia in their overflows? If so how did you do it? I just got some today and am in the process of acclimating them. By far the most significant outbreaks of Aiptasia in our tank right now are in our overflows. I just don't know how to place any of the Berghia's in there. I'm worried if i try to place them directly on top of an aiptasia, they will get stung/killed but i can't just drop them in the overflow and let them swim can I?
I wouldn't put them there they would die

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each time I kill one 5 more appear using that stuff
I turn off all flow and I approach the victim very slowly and make sure that the slurry is going to go directly into the mouth. Sometimes they come back and I hit them again right away. I can't say that I have eradicated my tank of them, but I hit a couple here and there every couple of months.

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn off all flow and I approach the victim very slowly and make sure that the slurry is going to go directly into the mouth. Sometimes they come back and I hit them again right away. I can't say that I have eradicated my tank of them, but I hit a couple here and there every couple of months.
Its like I am playing whack a mole for me. Now I am just focused on the ones affecting coral.

OP
OP
SHNICI

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one out on the glass this , it was not very photogenic. Also a much better video but I’m not sure it will be viewable.
7CB18A3F-27DA-4972-8CEF-2C1C1050E444.jpeg

Berghias is my go on method. A bit expensive, but it pay off. Only make sure not to have Peppermint shrimp, Filefish or CB, they may (almost always) eat them.
They eat coral
Totally agree, as most of them will pick and eat corals as well (not all of them but most).
I wouldn't put them there they would die
Yep, the best way is to add them at lower flow on the sand bed or between the LR. They'll find them way to get the Aips.

Its like I am playing whack a mole for me. Now I am just focused on the ones affecting coral.

I have just accepted the fact that I will always have a few. It is a lot like whack-a-mole.

Almost always will be Aiptasias in our tanks, only if it's new system, and you add new corals for couple of weeks in QT to observe them for pests and treat them there before you introduce them in the main DT, then is high likely not to get any.

OP
OP
SHNICI

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here's my tank. It's a red sea 250. I don't think any of you have the problem as bad as I do, so if someone has the cure for aptasia, people like me are prepared to make you a trillion-aire. With the caviet we get to sue you 10-times over if it doesn't work. The fact is, EVERY coral, fish, etc you buy has aptasia and majano. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying. They are the one thing that will take over your tank before anything else--only takes about 3 weeks to 2 months before you're ready to give up. As for anyone telling you that ANTYHING works for aptasia or majano, jsut walk away politely and then go tell everyone else they're full of it. Here's the fact--NOTHING WORKS! It's a so called "problem" that is making money for snake oil salesman.

Here's what I've tried, just to prove a point. The "magic cures" have cost me as much as the tank itself, so I have first hand experience as to what doesn't work:
1) Filefish--does absolutely nothing except swim vertically and its' fins are pretty cool.
2) Peppermint shrimp--5 different batches over the past year. They do absolutely NOTHING other than cost around $15 for each shrimp. Then after they walk around the tank, they get into a one-rock situation and sit there rocking side to side. If you ever want to try nudibranches, then you're screwed--peppermint shrimp eat them.
3) Aptasia-X Yep, the Red Sea brand. It also does absolutely NOTHING except cause the old aptasia to release spores. Those spores then get into the rest of your tank.
4) Burghia Nudibranch--Tried $200 worth, got 12. Never did anything and have been in the tank for over 2 months.
5) Copperband--Don't work either. About the only thing I'll say is at least they have a cool nose.....
6) Six-line wrasse--Swim around the rocks and dodge the foxface and other tangs in your tank.
7) Removing ALL live rock and using a pastry torch to burn away everything on the rock--even the algae. Worked for a week, then everything was back even worse than before.
8) Lemon juice--Kind of works for a week, but it changes PH/ALK so fast you'll be reaching for your soda ash.
9) Kalwasser--I saw this on BRS TV and thought about it for a minute. It's basically the same thing as Aptasia-X. It changes your alkalinity, and then clouds your water while flipping your PH.
10) Clipping the bigger ones with tweezers--they come back even worse than before.
11) Joe's Juice---IT"S JUST FANCY LEMON JUICE!!

So, yeah, been there and done that. If anything new that comes out DOES work, I'd probably be the one who would try it out. Nothing else on the list for me to try. I'm at the point of just let nature take it's course. Eventually the aptasia will balance out the rest of the corals and they can sting themselves into submission.

Only the fittest will survive, and if the $5000 worth of corals win over the free aptasia problem I've inherited, so be it.
SOrry for the late resp. but wasn't around for a while xD

sorry to hear your bad luck and exp with all of the different methods. But few things: not all of the Fle fish eat Aips, only one Peppermint shrimp eat Aips, about most of the chemicals you're right (some have positive reports about them, so no argue there).
About the Berghias: if you don't have any predator to eat them in your system, and they survived for over 2 weeks, for sure they're eating the aiptasias! Looking at the photos, you got really too many Aips, so the Berghias had to spawn few times (to multiply) to can eradicate them all, and if there isn't any predator (eating aiptasia animals) the Berghias for sure will win the battle, only it can take a bit longer (depending on how many Aips you have )
I was starting to get a really bad outbreak of aiptasia. Really think it began over the summer when I was away for two weeks and had the auto feeder going too often. I used f aiptasia pretty successfully earlier on but there are places where it just doesn't work and the numbers were getting out of control. I bought a few peppermint shrimp from both algae barn and reefcleaners and didn't have much luck so I bought 7 berghia nudis from saltyunderground (25 gallon tank).

I wasn't sure if they were working at first or even survived but I started watching at night after lights out Ave there were all out going to town on aiptasia. Two weeks later I couldn't find a single aiptasia. I'm actually kind of sad that I dont see the nudis at night anymore.
Happy to hear your story about...., but after while (2-3 weeks sometimes 4) if there isn't any Aips in the tank the Berghia to feed on, then they will starve to death, that's the negative only side on that investment.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
This guy hitched on my zoa frag. I moved it to my Coral QT tank and planning my course of action. I dont want it to spread. I'm thinking about using F Aiptasia to inject it on a separate container, then dip it with Coral RX, then back to Coral QT tank. Thoughts?

1658497975276.png

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are people having success with peppermint shrimp eating large aiptasia or is it only the smaller ones?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back