• Get another tank ready

Results are only viewable after voting.

SilentSloth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tale as old as time... I've tried boiling hot lemon juice, aiptasia X, H2O2, solid CaOH and NaOH. The most anything does is get rid of it for 3-5 days, then it spreads and pops right back up in the initial location. I always turn off flow for 15min before and after I try to kill it to let it sit. I can't take the rocks out easily so that's not an option.
Should I try to just cover it all with glue or puddy? or maybe restart? anyone have any ideas? Its already killed a whole colony of Psammocora just from touching it for a second.
Anyone have tips for restarting I only have my one 100L tank (30ish Gallon). Should I just get another tank cycling and transfer my fish first slowly? IDK if there's much I can do about the aiptasia and I really don't want to lose another coral.

random pic of tank

P1010337.JPG

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The tale as old as time... I've tried boiling hot lemon juice, aiptasia X, H2O2, solid CaOH and NaOH. The most anything does is get rid of it for 3-5 days, then it spreads and pops right back up in the initial location. I always turn off flow for 15min before and after I try to kill it to let it sit. I can't take the rocks out easily so that's not an option.
Should I try to just cover it all with glue or puddy? or maybe restart? anyone have any ideas? Its already killed a whole colony of Psammocora just from touching it for a second.
Anyone have tips for restarting I only have my one 100L tank (30ish Gallon). Should I just get another tank cycling and transfer my fish first slowly? IDK if there's much I can do about the aiptasia and I really don't want to lose another coral.

random pic of tank

P1010337.JPG
Not sure I see any aiptasia in that pic (unless youre talking about the red glob) - its hard to say? In any case - If you try to kill it - if you dont get every last piece it will come back - if you try 'smashing it' - it will explode. If you have a lot - putty and glue are a hassle - and there is probably a fair bit in places you cant see - so it will be a constant battle. I would recommend berghia nudibranchs - which cleaned up my tank within a month. Get the number recommended. Its a little spendy but when you take your time, effort, etc into account - not bad and they work (IME) - you can also try peppermint shrimp, copper band , filefish, etc - depending on what else you have in the tank that might or might not get along)

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rid my entire tank of Aptasia with Aptasia X.
Took six months, once a week treatment, but all gone for almost a year now.
I don’t know why this product works for some and not others....very strange..

The problem with some predators is after the Aptasia is gone, sometimes Corals become a target.

OP
OP
SilentSloth

SilentSloth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I see any aiptasia in that pic (unless youre talking about the red glob) - its hard to say? In any case - If you try to kill it - if you dont get every last piece it will come back - if you try 'smashing it' - it will explode. If you have a lot - putty and glue are a hassle - and there is probably a fair bit in places you cant see - so it will be a constant battle. I would recommend berghia nudibranchs - which cleaned up my tank within a month. Get the number recommended. Its a little spendy but when you take your time, effort, etc into account - not bad and they work (IME) - you can also try peppermint shrimp, copper band , filefish, etc - depending on what else you have in the tank that might or might not get along)

I have read about the berghia nudi and I remember something about copepods or amphepods eating them. Im not 100% sure if I had them since I added some pod back when I started my tank. I didn't want to just end up with dead slugs. I have been thinking about a peppermint shrimp but I am kinda worried it might eat my duncan or hammer.
yeah pic is unrelated. I only have about 12-15 aiptasia atm so it isn't a plauge yet. but I know it will be soon

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try peppermint shrimp. Can't hurt. I think your duncan's and hammers will be fine.

Have to agree; I put one of these shrimp in my reef a few months ago for about a dozen Aptasia and he has eliminated all of them and has not touched any of the corals.

He never really moves from his hiding spot except when the lights are out.

OP
OP
SilentSloth

SilentSloth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp I'm going to pick up a peppermint. Lets see how it goes.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15 or less? Predators sound drastic and ALL come with collateral risks.
When you hit with Aptaisa X, did they not “collapse” and fall into themselves.
Every time this happened for me, gone!

OP
OP
SilentSloth

SilentSloth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15 or less?
When you hit with Aptaisa X, did they not “collapse” and fall into themselves.
Every time this happened for me, gone!

Yeah they would do that. I think I've only had one stay dead after that ... or so I thought it just came back 2 weeks later in the exact same spot

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure it’s true peppermint shrimp. There are a lot of look-a-likes that do not eat Aptasia. Also if you have a banded shrimp he will kill the peppermints.

filefish is a good one too. But after Aptasia is gone it will probably die unless it eats regular food. Some will and some won’t.
Nudis work well too- but expensive and sometimes gets eaten by other tank mates.

good luck!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have read about the berghia nudi and I remember something about copepods or amphepods eating them. Im not 100% sure if I had them since I added some pod back when I started my tank. I didn't want to just end up with dead slugs. I have been thinking about a peppermint shrimp but I am kinda worried it might eat my duncan or hammer.
yeah pic is unrelated. I only have about 12-15 aiptasia atm so it isn't a plauge yet. but I know it will be soon
I would try the shrimp or the berghia. I had NO aiptasia - and added nothing - all the sudden one tiny one - I tried scraping it off - thought I got it - but then a month later there were 50 small ones. The berghia took care of them all in about a month. They are nocturnal - so not many fish etc eat them - when the aiptasia are gone they die off. I do not believe that amphipods eat Berghia?

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp worked for me, until he climbed into an MP10

Filefish did not work, it picked at my Favites and Acros

Frank‘s F-Aiptasia has been my go to, guaranteed solution. Follow the instructions and try not to get the paste on any other corals. Monitor your Alk when using F-Aiptasia, it could spike

Kjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like everyone has a different experience with peppermint shrimp or File Fish. I'm in the File Fish camp. I have a pair in an AIO 60g and the only aiptasia I ever see is in the back filtration compartment. They enjoy meaty fresh food also and don't seem to bother any corals (yet). I gave up on Aiptasia- X and the like. I also stopped buying frags from the LFS that has visible aiptasia in their frag tanks and my new tank is clean. :)

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main issue with peppermint shrimp as mentioned above is that one has to make sure they get an actual peppermint shrimp, and if they do, it most likely will take care of the Aptasia. After that they will just scavenge whatever you feed your fish (and take care of any Aptasia if they pop up in the future).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here is a sure bet:
Blue faced Kleini butterfly. Will eat them like candy and Not miss any and then will eat all dry and frozen food offered, It is friendly and does not bother coral. If you get the yellow kleini without the blue on the face, it may annoy zoa and similar unless well fed

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back