Results are only viewable after voting.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is a sure bet:
Blue faced Kleini butterfly. Will eat them like candy and Not miss any and then will eat all dry and frozen food offered, It is friendly and does not bother coral. If you get the yellow kleini without the blue on the face, it may annoy zoa and similar unless well fed
Everything I read said they are not reef safe?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have one in each of three tanks and NO issues. The yellow ones are caution

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have one in each of three tanks and NO issues. The yellow ones are caution
Thanks - I just looked at 3 web sites all said reef safe - no. BUT - like you say - I have had many angels and butterflies over the years that were not 'reef safe' that did fine.

Soryu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put three peppermint shrimp in my tank to rid it of aiptasia, about a month later I didn't have a single aiptasia in the display. About a month after that I noticed one of my peppermint shrimps whiskers sticking out of one of the dozen or so RBTA in my tank. After about a month it looks like the RBTA at my shrimp.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get Berghia Nudibranchs, work amazing
IMG_20201020_094305.jpg

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish or shrimp only work as long as you keep the fish or shrimp in the tank. They can't eat 100% of the aiptasia if they have a deep crevice to retreat to and only work to suppress it as far as they can reach it. Lose the fish or shrimp and it will eventually come back.

F aiptasia worked better than aiptasia X for me. But it only worked on the bigger ones where I could get a big glob on the head. The smaller ones came back after a month or so as I believe I just didnt get enough paste on them.

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the gentleman who suggested filefish make sure its aptaisia eating filefish I've heard they devour them

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rid my entire tank of Aptasia with Aptasia X.
Took six months, once a week treatment, but all gone for almost a year now.
I don’t know why this product works for some and not others....very strange..

The problem with some predators is after the Aptasia is gone, sometimes Corals become a target
Seems like everyone has a different experience with peppermint shrimp or File Fish. I'm in the File Fish camp. I have a pair in an AIO 60g and the only aiptasia I ever see is in the back filtration compartment. They enjoy meaty fresh food also and don't seem to bother any corals (yet). I gave up on Aiptasia- X and the like. I also stopped buying frags from the LFS that has visible aiptasia in their frag tanks and my new tank is clean. :)
aiptasia x worked for me, tried 4 peppermints in my 40 gallon and all they did was go after every cerith and nerith snail I had.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rid my entire tank of Aptasia with Aptasia X.
Took six months, once a week treatment, but all gone for almost a year now.
I don’t know why this product works for some and not others....very strange..

The problem with some predators is after the Aptasia is gone, sometimes Corals become a target.
I’ve tried peppermints and they didn’t touch it and instead went after my nerith and cerith snails. Literally flipped them over from the glass and I had to keep pushing them away. I tried aiptasia x and the thing worked and it hasn’t been back

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having the same problem so I bought 4 medium sized berghia nudibranchs. Honestly I thought either the fish ate them or they didn't make until one day i saw one it was way bigger obviously it was munching on aptaisia. After a month they've completely wiped all of them out I do not see one single aptaisia and I actually had a lot of them.

MattW33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a marginalis butterfly to knock my aip population back. It cleared all the visible ones in a few months. Only time will tell if it's going to at anything more desirable! I have a bluethroat trigger so shrimps were a no go, and I decided that a filefish was too high a risk. Berghia just seem a bit hit and miss for a long term solution, could end up being expensive if you end up replacing them every year or so. I'm not convinced your average tank can support enough aptasia to keep them alive and breeding long term.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seriously -I have a copper band (a great fish) - doesnt eat aiptasia. Bought peppermint shrimp - god rest their souls - the harlequin tusk had a good meal, The filefish eats flake food, LRS and everything but aiptasia. The berghia. - Release from their jar at night - while the fish are asleep- took care of it within a month

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMHO injecting these things is a temporary fix. they come back.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have 1 in each tank. Never bothers anything. You must get the one with blue on its face. The yellow version will go after zoa eventually

This version which many I told of had success with theirs:

C5F67DF5-03B6-4B97-B691-47CF8C399467.jpeg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
IMHO injecting these things is a temporary fix. they come back.
In my drop off tank, injecting with kalkwasser powder mixed into a thin paste and a little lemon juice got rid of them for good (been 7 months) but you but inject dead center of them

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 1 in each tank. Never bothers anything. You must get the one with blue on its face. The yellow version will go after zoa eventually

This version which many I told of had success with theirs:

C5F67DF5-03B6-4B97-B691-47CF8C399467.jpeg
Oh - I might have made a mistake - I didnt mean to say butterflies wouldn't work. I might have responded to the wrong post.. Nice fish BTW. I want to get 3 large semilarvatus - but nervous about ordering online - trying to get from my QT shop

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my drop off tank, injecting with kalkwasser powder mixed into a thin paste and a little lemon juice got rid of them for good (been 7 months) but you but inject dead center of them
I had within a week 100 - I was like - no way am I going to do that. The berghia did the job lol:). lots of things work - but - as in jurassic park' nature finds a away.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oh - I might have made a mistake - I didnt mean to say butterflies wouldn't work. I might have responded to the wrong post.. Nice fish BTW. I want to get 3 large semilarvatus - but nervous about ordering online - trying to get from my QT shop
And syringe agreed doesn’t work for everyone

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back