Aiptasia on new corals. Need Help

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got new corals and I did my Coral Rx dip and so on so forth and they are in a quarantine tank. I noticed now that Aiptasia has popped up on some of the frags. What does everyone usually do in a quarantine tank for Aiptasia.

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove frags immediately, douse with lighter fluid and set on fire for 5 minutes. Once burnt, soak in sulfuric acid for an additional 10 minutes....then take frags to local landfill and throw as far as you can!

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A technique I have heard involves using super glue to build a tomb around the aiptasia, fully enclosing it.

I have never done this, but I have seen it come up numerous times and seems to work.

But napalm will also work.

OP
OP
ScottyD36

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A technique I have heard involves using super glue to build a tomb around the aiptasia, fully enclosing it.

I have never done this, but I have seen it come up numerous times and seems to work.

Hahaha Ty

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 for napalm.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bergia nudibranchs. Great for frag tanks. They only eat aptasia and don’t live super long so you can set them loose and let them clean up without worrying about them starving to death if you don’t have tons and tons of aptasia.

OP
OP
ScottyD36

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bergia nudibranchs. Great for frag tanks. They only eat aptasia and don’t live super long so you can set them loose and let them clean up without worrying about them starving to death if you don’t have tons and tons of aptasia.
Can they nuke my tank if they die.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp

JB's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nuke the site from orbit...it's the only way to be sure, haha.....I tried peppermint shrimp and all they do is dance back and forth. I finally went out and got F Aiptasia. It worked, killed every last one of em.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also had luck with berghia
Have had luck so far with a combo of Faptasia and a small epoxy dub and a few peppermint shrimp
the 4-5 in the display were found, F’d and have not returned

added 3 peppermint to the fuge and interestingly just found a single ap in a part of the tank with no access to the shrimp - supports in my mind the dual shrimp and F’n approach can be a control tool but importantly like herpes, they are the gift that keeps on giving.

for what it’s worth I bought 2 little captive bred filefish and added one to the display and one to the office tank (which had not shown any aps)

the display fish is a doll, has not nipped corals to my knowledge but have no idea or confidence it is searching out its namesake
the office file has just decided Zoa tips are part of a well rounded diet and need to figure out how to extract him - he is otherwise a neat critter

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F aiptasia works great. Peppermint shrimp work great, but don't use if you have something that will eat them. File fish may work but may or may not eat them and will eat euphyllia and probably a nice torch. Berghia are he worst in my experiece, they are expensive work slow and may die off before done as they work their way around the tank.

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get ur own frag plugs. remove store plugs and mount frags on your plugs before putting them in QT. u can take out the plug with aiptasia and rub some peroxide on the infected part. rinse it, put it back & observe.

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The only thing that has ever worked for me is superglue. Take the frag out of the water (keeping a close eye on where the aiptasia is) and put a good blob of glue over it. Usually once it starts to harden, I give the glue a good push with tweezers to make sure it is good and stuck all around.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp may eat zoa. I’d go with the nudis. They don’t hurt anything if they die and you don’t need many. They destroy aptasia

OP
OP
ScottyD36

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also had luck with berghia
My tank being a 13.5 gallon tank. I decided to order 3 berghia to eat the aipstasia that has popped up in tank so hopefully it works.

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia X. People say it causes infestation. However, if you kill and destroy it properly it will clear it. Killed one in my DT 8 months ago, and none since have appeared (fingers crossed). Imo gluing doesn't necessarily do the trick. If a part of the plug degrades and cracks...BOOM you got a problem again...perhaps more because it's had time replicate.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 88 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back