Aiptasia part 2

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday I noticed a medium finger nail sized aiptasia. I boiled some vinegar but missed the injection and just scared it into the hole where I then decided to spray vinegar over. I know for a FACT I did not hit it so I sprayed some aiptasia X over the hole and covered it. Does anyone know how long it takes to get big and any new prevention. Pepps perhaps?

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So yesterday I noticed a medium finger nail sized aiptasia. I boiled some vinegar but missed the injection and just scared it into the hole where I then decided to spray vinegar over. I know for a FACT I did not hit it so I sprayed some aiptasia X over the hole and covered it. Does anyone know how long it takes to get big and any new prevention. Pepps perhaps?
I've not had any success with Kalk paste, AptasiaX , joes juice, or the like. Any time I've used those products the Aptasia seemingly self detonated hundreds of spores/eggs/babies into the tank and led to much worst infestations.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the above method wont work agreed that wont kill it.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that will work, but what prevents it from working are excuses not the actual application he he

there are 24 reasons a reef tank owner secretly wants to keep their aiptasia, even though they're posting they do not. we will know in 24 hours or so if you had any such reasoning cuz that above will fix it. if you still have the polyp in 24 hours then the reasons to keep it won out. and there are at least 24 its why we don't have many entrants yet, in a thread where aiptasia cannot survive. we actually enjoy ridding tanks of it, but we can't pry it loose from the keepers hands. they want to keep the aiptasia they want gone so badly, very tricky matter.

*scan nano-reef.com for aiptasia issues in the pico reef forum, specifically there. pico reefs are small, nobody has issues accessing a rock stack the size of your hand. excuses run low in fishbowl reefs for aiptasia removal, they actually remove them effectively because there's no room to share in a tiny reef.

pico reefs don't play by normal rules, hence the lack of any aiptasias for pages

but in big tankers world, you do everything but what surgically guarantees success. the chances a large tank owner will quadruple the aiptasia loading in two weeks is 99.9999% lol they want to keep them, Im telling you. its a psych thing not an anemone thing, excuses will always win out let me start the first one:

-my tank is too big I can't do that.
false, if I paid you fifty thousand dollars to run the method youd run it so thorough the rock would be bored out eight inches around the former footing. its a motivation thing.

-second most common reason large tank owners love their aiptasia:
you get to add more animals to your tank, increasing biodiversity/disease import and attain a no-work cure. Our way requires surgery and a flathead screwdriver conversely. large tank owners want work free fixes at all costs.

imagine handling dandelions by capping them w superglue, let's take the gloves off man. for once in human history, can we kill ur aiptasia yesterday? the tool you need is in your tool case just wipe it off lets go.
b

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have success with Kalk paste and lemon juice BUT . . You must get it into the center core. Anywhere else on the body and they WILL return.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is in a hole pull the rock and crazy glue it shut. But if you have alot of them get a file fish . They are not pretty but they do the job.

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is in a hole pull the rock and crazy glue it shut. But if you have alot of them get a file fish . They are not pretty but they do the job.
+1 on super gluing shut and +1 on filefish - although I think he's kind of adorable in his own ugly way. He also eats hydroids so extra bonus. Now if only my sailfin tang would accept him. She hates him with a passion and aggression I have never seen before. The sailfin is 8" and the filefish is 2" so not sure what the issue is. She has not been aggressive with anyone else we added to the tank. She is even picking up and throwing corals now that are too close to her cave and she bit my hand when I was spot feeding corals last night.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
peppermint are hit or miss but multiple LFS in my area have tanks of peppermint shrimp where they throw aiptasia covered imported corals if they are infested and i just got the first ones i thought were eating the aiptasia. Copperband is great as well but hard to get a good one thats eating and matters how big of a tank you have

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
called it :)

we love these anemones!

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you remove the rock? I swear by the lighter trick or even better a brulee torch.

Sadly the fact that you missed the assassination attempt means they are coming back for vengeance.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would but Im not a fan of things I can’t see
What do you mean can't see? They are fairly active when they're bigger.
IMG_20210119_201129.jpg

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you remove the rock? I swear by the lighter trick or even better a brulee torch.

Sadly the fact that you missed the assassination attempt means they are coming back for vengeance.
i would but if i do i risk killing my utter chaos, rainbow monti w jhonny pumpkin seed zoas, and my very small frag of grandmaster krak

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used six Berghia, one stick of coralline colour two part expoxy, and a big bottle of Aptasia-x.

It took six months, but now, I have not seen one Aptasia in 3 months now.

I think I won!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried berghia, filefish, pep shrimp.
Kalk paste is the nuclear option, have to be generous, 75% kill. Immediate.
Hit the mouth and follow it into the hole he whithers into. Use one of these.

Back