Aiptasia, sneaky lil buggers

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that pests will inevitably sneak into your tank if you don't QT.
A few weeks ago I saw two lil devils and weighed my options.
I decided to give Aiptasia X a shot but it was delayed in transit, yesterday I saw five buggers in my zoas. I immediately looked at the tracking info and the meds were on the truck for delivery.
I just finished bathing the 5 culprits in a nice lavender bath (Aiptasia X is lavender in color)

My Question is, (I know what the package says) will it affect my zoas.
The bulk of the offenders were in the middle of a nice patch of Stargazers one of my first purchases and have more the tripled in numbers over the year.
I would really hate to lose any but the Aiptasia waged war and I responded in kind.

What is your experience with Apitasia X and Zoas.

This spring I plan on setting up a 40 frag/QT if not sooner. I look to preempt this going forward.

Thanks!!!

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't help you, but can say I've had success with peppermint shrimp.

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't help you, but can say I've had success with peppermint shrimp.
Lol, I bought 3 peppermint shrimp about 3 weeks ago, two disappeared and the 3rd spends all his time behind my overflow which is as far as he can be from the zoas lol the tank is a 130 gallon lol the little guy just doesn't want to put in work and his brothers disappeared lol

FiddlersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one zoa frag that I swear breeds aiptasia. Every time I zap one, another shows up again. But yeah I've gotten a little of it on the zoas and it hasn't hurt anything, but I wouldn't just flood them and potentially get it into their oral disks. As long as you shut off all flow, it's not too bad to carefully put a drop right into the center of the aiptasia.

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one zoa frag that I swear breeds aiptasia. Every time I zap one, another shows up again. But yeah I've gotten a little of it on the zoas and it hasn't hurt anything, but I wouldn't just flood them and potentially get it into their oral disks. As long as you shut off all flow, it's not too bad to carefully put a drop right into the center of the aiptasia.
I had to slather the three smaller ones because they were just too small, some got on a few zoas. It's a wait and see now.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk paste in syringe , turn off flow and put infront of aptasia . They eat it and immediately disintegrate , killed about 50 the other day and raised my alk by 1dkh lol

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My approach has always been to go after the large aiptasia with whatever method, aiptasiaX, boiling water in syringe

I always have a CBB in my tank. Their long snouts will eat baby aiptasia... but the medium to large ones they leave alone bc the CBB gets stung.

You take care of med/lrg ones, the CBB will eat the baby reborn ones.

Takes about 2-3 mos to see a big turn around. But it does happen. I've been aiptasia free for 7 years thanks to my CBB

When buying a CBB, make sure at the LFS you watch a potential one for awhile to see that they are ACTIVELY picking at stuff.

Don't want a CBB that sits in a LFS tank looking like this all the time just waiting to be fed:
What Are You Doing Reaction GIF

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it worked, all the offenders are less than mush today, the 3 small ones are completely gone and it worked on two majano I had as well.
I can't believe how fast it worked.
Most of the zoas have opened as well, this was my biggest concern.
I can now do TV ads for Aiptasia X as an experienced user lol

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back