Air pump

Melissa31595

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we got our tank last weekend from previous reefers and it came with the whole kit and caboodle. We finally got everything set up and running but the air pump for the oxygen going to the sump is SO LOUD. Anyone know of any good (and quieter) air pumps?

Attachments

• 73427700943__C4B185AC-1E61-4333-994B-376AAF71A809.MOV
    473.7 KB

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Eheim air pump 200. Very quiet, adjustable, dual output (I only use one). Use for my upflow ATS and works great. There are larger versions that are just as highly rated. Been going now for 18 months or so. It's also small enough that if you wanted to go all out, it would fit in a large jar or container (with air inlet) for even quieter. I haven't felt the need. It's on aquarium in my home office.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Melissa31595

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Eheim air pump 200. Very quiet, adjustable, dual output (I only use one). Use for my upflow ATS and works great. There are larger versions that are just as highly rated. Been going now for 18 months or so. It's also small enough that if you wanted to go all out, it would fit in a large jar or container (with air inlet) for even quieter. I haven't felt the need. It's on aquarium in my home office.
Thank you! I’ll check them out!

Upvote 0

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we got our tank last weekend from previous reefers and it came with the whole kit and caboodle. We finally got everything set up and running but the air pump for the oxygen going to the sump is SO LOUD. Anyone know of any good (and quieter) air pumps?

Why are you pumping air in to the sump?

Upvote 0

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That thing looks ancient lol. Anything made in the last few years should perform better than that. Most air pumps these days have rubber padding on the bottom and are quiet.

But I wonder what it does?

Upvote 0

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just did the same setup that the previous reefers did.

I would eliminate it.

Pumping air into the tank is a strategy to help keep pH up.

In some houses with poor air exchange, the pH can be impacted negatively, so we pump air into the system, usually via the protein skimmer.

You may not have that problem in your house. So try eliminating it from the setup.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Melissa31595

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That thing looks ancient lol. Anything made in the last few years should perform better than that. Most air pumps these days have rubber padding on the bottom and are quiet.

But I wonder what it does?
I’m not 100% sure. I think they put it in there to keep the media moving around but again, idk why. We just went with it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Melissa31595

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would eliminate it.

Pumping air into the tank is a strategy to help keep pH up.

In some houses with poor air exchange, the pH can be impacted negatively, so we pump air into the system, usually via the protein skimmer.

You may not have that problem in your house. So try eliminating it from the setup.
Oh! That makes sense! I’ll double check the ph to make sure!

Upvote 0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back