Algae and zero nitrates

puffer_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so my tank has been running for almost 4 months now when I test for nitrates there’s zero and when I test phosphates it ranges from 0 to 0.03 it depends on the day. And I have a decent amount of algae not the worst so I’m not sure if that’s eating up all the nutrients. I’m not running anything thing except for filter floss I did have a skimmer going but I stopped that about a week or two ago. Should I just start to feed more to bring up the parameters or what else could I do. Thank you
So the first picture is my tank before I cleaned it and scrapped most of the algae away.

A6F5DB77-5F86-4794-A77F-8B71C3703D90.jpeg 84F0D67B-FD68-4D71-AAF2-2302102CCB1B.jpeg B6A6F905-ED62-4213-942C-242A547FA83D.jpeg AF848BF4-99AF-4BC8-9AAE-A305D88AFD9C.jpeg

OP
OP
puffer_reef

puffer_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to test nitrates and phosphates?

What clean up crew do you have?

Actually looks like cyano, which is normal for the age of your tank - they will likely come and go.
I have Hanna for phosphates, and salifert for nitrate. I have 5 hermits, 2 peppermint shrimp since I had aptasia, and 2 astraea snails.

Upvote 0

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae will consume your nutrients, from what I was told. I doubt its 0. What size tank and whats the other params...salinity and temp?

How often you do water changes and how large? How often you change then floss. What other filtration you use?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
puffer_reef

puffer_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae will consume your nutrients, from what I was told. I doubt its 0. What size tank and whats the other params...salinity and temp?

How often you do water changes and how large? How often you change then floss. What other filtration you use?
It’s 20 gallons, salinity is 1.025 temp is 77.5, I ideally do water changes once a week about 2 to 3 gallons but today was the first day I did it in about 3 weeks since I was trying to raise the nitrates. And I did have chemi pure elite and my skimmer but took both of those out so all I have is floss right now.

Upvote 0

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is normal but I am just wondering how thick is that sand bed? Also have you vacuumed the sand bed at all?

Upvote 0

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s about an inch and a half to 2. And tbh I have done it in a while but I did do it tonight
I personally do not like going over 1" but others will have their own opinions. Just keep on removing the growth and keeping the nitrates and phosphates at reasonable levels.
You will soon get green hair algae (GHA) growing and that will be another phase before your algae growth starts to get under control and those Diatoms disappear.
A Tang in the tank will keep most of the normal algae growth under control. Also have you done any test of Alk, Ca and Mg? Without the levels of those being high enough you wont get coralline algae growth. BTW I would run the skimmer if only to keep your pH up. Have you been monitoring the pH?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
puffer_reef

puffer_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally do not like going over 1" but others will have their own opinions. Just keep on removing the growth and keeping the nitrates and phosphates at reasonable levels.
You will soon get green hair algae (GHA) growing and that will be another phase before your algae growth starts to get under control and those Diatoms disappear.
A Tang in the tank will keep most of the normal algae growth under control. Also have you done any test of Alk, Ca and Mg? Without the levels of those being high enough you wont get coralline algae growth. BTW I would run the skimmer if only to keep your pH up. Have you been monitoring the pH?
Alk is 9.9, Ca was 420, and magnesium was 1360. And no I really haven’t been monitoring ph but I’ll start running my skimmer again.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back