Algae Blenny hungry to stuffed over night.

poojan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently added a small algae blenny to my tank he’s was really skittish for the first few weeks didn't really emerge from his corner if people were around. Recently though he’s been more adventurous. I’ve been a bit concerned the past few days he’s been looking a bit thin. This is from this morning:
958DE38C-4871-49A3-A538-D0F77388B3AF.jpeg

But this evening he looks a lot better to me:
93596293-F466-4383-A3AF-131E532835B2.png

The only change I’ve made today is leaving blues on for most of the day rather than my typical schedule as I’ve noticed he doesn’t like to eat so much while whites are on and tends to eat more after my whites are off and I’ve got blues only. Does anyone have similar experience with a lawnmower or algae Blenny. I’m still a bit concerned despite the abundance of algae.

My tank is 2+ years old and fairly stable in terms of detectable nutrient levels and other water chemistry, despite what the gah in the first pic might suggest. And his only tank mates are a clown pair and a pair of candy cane shrimp for aptasia control.

Never had a lawnmower before so just looking for some guidance should I be worried by how he looked this morning? How can I make conditions more optimal for him?

TLDR: my Blenny looked VERY skinny this morning (like never seen with my own eyes before skinny) but has plumped up over the day should I be concerned?

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He probably just chowed down on algae due to the new lighting schedule. I notice all my fish get significantly bloated after I feed because I tend to feed super heavy due to my nutrient levels being low. These types of blenny have been very hard for me due to them cleaning out all the algae then starving to death because they refuse to eat prepared foods. I’d suggest leaving some nori or algae pellets around the tank now so hopefully he develops a taste for them and will be able to continue to live in your tank :)

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on it. If it continues, it's bad.

But yeah, the fish may have hit the all-you-can-eat buffet.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 65 45.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%

Back