Algae blooms when dosing Core7 products

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

certain_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running a Triton tank for about 2 years now. I made the switch to the Core7 product line about 6 months ago now and have noticed that dosing it has caused algae to form in my tank, seemingly Cyano.

In all fairness, I have not done an ICP test in about 6 months. The last test read that everything was in decent levels but I was struggling with lower than expected Ca levels. Now readings are normal on my Hanna checkers so I assume that has been corrected and my tank has been in autopilot mode for a while now with no changes other than switching to Core 7

About 2 months ago, I left for vacation while battling the first larger outbreak of Cyano. While gone, a friend taking care of the tank noticed the Cyano was going away all of a sudden but everything else seemed normal. After a week and a half gone, I noticed that the dosing pump had gone offline and stopped dosing Core 7 products all together but the tank had nearly no Cyano in it at all.

Not truly thinking that Core7 was causing the Cyano outbreak, I put my dosing pump online and sure enough, about 5 days later the Cyano started coming back again in full force.

TL;DR: When I am adding Core7 to my tank I get a Cyano outbreak that I cannot seem to fight off. Once stopped dosing, the Cyano dies off and the tank starts looking great again. What could be wrong that causes this to happen? Is it as simple as more diversity in my refugium?

Tank info:
80 Gallow shallow tank
Refugium w/ cheato
ATI 8 bulb
Running GFO + Carbon

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running a Triton tank for about 2 years now. I made the switch to the Core7 product line about 6 months ago now and have noticed that dosing it has caused algae to form in my tank, seemingly Cyano.

In all fairness, I have not done an ICP test in about 6 months. The last test read that everything was in decent levels but I was struggling with lower than expected Ca levels. Now readings are normal on my Hanna checkers so I assume that has been corrected and my tank has been in autopilot mode for a while now with no changes other than switching to Core 7

About 2 months ago, I left for vacation while battling the first larger outbreak of Cyano. While gone, a friend taking care of the tank noticed the Cyano was going away all of a sudden but everything else seemed normal. After a week and a half gone, I noticed that the dosing pump had gone offline and stopped dosing Core 7 products all together but the tank had nearly no Cyano in it at all.

Not truly thinking that Core7 was causing the Cyano outbreak, I put my dosing pump online and sure enough, about 5 days later the Cyano started coming back again in full force.

TL;DR: When I am adding Core7 to my tank I get a Cyano outbreak that I cannot seem to fight off. Once stopped dosing, the Cyano dies off and the tank starts looking great again. What could be wrong that causes this to happen? Is it as simple as more diversity in my refugium?

Tank info:
80 Gallow shallow tank
Refugium w/ cheato
ATI 8 bulb
Running GFO + Carbon
Which version of Core7 are you running?

Can you describe your refugium setup?

Are you planning on getting a new ICP done? If your base levels are high of certain elements anyway the addition of Core7 could tip the balance slightly so you would need to see where they are.

OP
OP
certain_code

certain_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which version of Core7 are you running?

Can you describe your refugium setup?

Are you planning on getting a new ICP done? If your base levels are high of certain elements anyway the addition of Core7 could tip the balance slightly so you would need to see where they are.
I am running Core 7 for the Triton method.

I have a Trigger Emerald 34 sump. First chamber has a ball of cheato with a power head for flow, second has skimmer and heaters, 3rd has dosing pump outlets and return pump. I have been having a hard time sourcing any other algae for the fuge so just the ball of cheato for now.

Will eventually get another ICP test done once funds free up a bit. Hopefully in the next month or so.

Also worth noting that most coral are doing fine as long as I keep algae off them, this includes 3 SPS coral that are growing strong but not the best colors. Not sure if that points to anything being off balance.

Thanks

UNCFAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also converting to the Triton Method and I have a question about sump layout. In particular in which sump section do my carbon and gfo reactor returns enter - 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. I have cheato in first section, skimmer in 2nd section, and return pump in 3rd section. I understand that I dose the Triton solution in the 3rd section.

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running Core 7 for the Triton method.

I have a Trigger Emerald 34 sump. First chamber has a ball of cheato with a power head for flow, second has skimmer and heaters, 3rd has dosing pump outlets and return pump. I have been having a hard time sourcing any other algae for the fuge so just the ball of cheato for now.

Will eventually get another ICP test done once funds free up a bit. Hopefully in the next month or so.

Also worth noting that most coral are doing fine as long as I keep algae off them, this includes 3 SPS coral that are growing strong but not the best colors. Not sure if that points to anything being off balance.

Thanks

How are you lighting the algae? Full spectrum strong lighting is required to achieve the best growth and stop other unwanted organisms taking advantage of the elements.

I would definitely look to getting the ICP done as soon as possible as we are really just stabbing in the dark otherwise.

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also converting to the Triton Method and I have a question about sump layout. In particular in which sump section do my carbon and gfo reactor returns enter - 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. I have cheato in first section, skimmer in 2nd section, and return pump in 3rd section. I understand that I dose the Triton solution in the 3rd section.

Reactors can go in any chamber but usually 2 or 3.

The solutions should be dosed either into the algae or the return section but most importantly of all into high flow.

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you lighting the algae? Full spectrum strong lighting is required to achieve the best growth and stop other unwanted organisms taking advantage of the elements.

What "other unwanted organisms"? I'm using a Kessil 380 LED which is not full spectrum but a very strong light (almost too strong) which is growing, at a maximum rate, a mixed assortment of plants, floating algae and waving hand xenia. Could the xenia be a problem in the 'frug?

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What "other unwanted organisms"? I'm using a Kessil 380 LED which is not full spectrum but a very strong light (almost too strong) which is growing, at a maximum rate, a mixed assortment of plants, floating algae and waving hand xenia. Could the xenia be a problem in the 'frug?
No I wouldn't say so.

Other unwanted organisms such as pest algae/cyano etc. If the algae isn't taking them up then others will, so you should do everything in your power to makes sure the algae can prevail. If you are not able to then it may be better to run the Core7 Reef Supplements for other methods which has a reduced amount of these pro algae elements.

OP
OP
certain_code

certain_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I wouldn't say so.

Other unwanted organisms such as pest algae/cyano etc. If the algae isn't taking them up then others will, so you should do everything in your power to makes sure the algae can prevail. If you are not able to then it may be better to run the Core7 Reef Supplements for other methods which has a reduced amount of these pro algae elements.

So is the main difference then between the two Core 7 products the amount of nutrients to feed the algae in the refugium?

I am running a Chinese LED over my fuge that a number of folks here are running with no noted algae problems. Is there a specific light Triton recommends for a 13"x13" refugium?

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, there are several 'Pro' algae elements that when used within the Triton Method effectively turbo charge the performance of the refugium.

Most success is seen with T5 units of CFL grow lights, LEDS can be a bit hit and miss with some species of algae, may be one for Chaeto but not for others...

matic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you want to switch to the "other methods" do you need to replace 1,2 3a & 3b or only 1 and 2?

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you want to switch to the "other methods" do you need to replace 1,2 3a & 3b or only 1 and 2?
Well most are sold as sets so generally easier to replace the entire set in one go, but the physical difference is contained in bottle number 1

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back