Algae eating Gobie?

AzReefn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was watching my gobie remodel his house in the sand and he jumped on a rock and started eating algae. Is this normal or is he looking for food?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's crazy, I've never seen one do that haha you may have a vegan goby on your hands :D

OP
OP
AzReefn

AzReefn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond Gobies typically do best in tanks with a smaller grain of sand than what you have. They are primarily sand sifters, he might be hungry for anything.
Actually the majority of the sand is pretty fine. He sifts all day long and the built up the spot in the video. He also brings the larger pieces of coral over and stacks them lol

OP
OP
AzReefn

AzReefn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt that it's eating the algae, but rather sifting through it for pods.
Ok, that makes sense. I think I'll order another couple bottles of pods, I still have plenty of phytoplankton left. I guess I should start harvesting pods and phyto so I have plenty to go around for everyone.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine usually spreads the sand in the rocks even with the sandbed and then sifts what little sand is their. But they do have a tenancy to hunt for food.

thaitopher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond Gobies typically do best in tanks with a smaller grain of sand than what you have. They are primarily sand sifters, he might be hungry for anything.

My thoughts as well. He probably isn't getting enough nutrition from your sandbed. I would suggest supplemental feeding.

OP
OP
AzReefn

AzReefn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts as well. He probably isn't getting enough nutrition from your sandbed. I would suggest supplemental feeding.

Will pods do or is there something else they really like?

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, you need fine sand in there. That's way too coarse for a sifting goby. You need no bigger than Fiji pink, preferably oolite sized sand. I'd try target feeding him with some small mysis to make sure he's getting enough.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, you need fine sand in there. That's way too coarse for a sifting goby. You need no bigger than Fiji pink, preferably oolite sized sand. I'd try target feeding him with some small mysis to make sure he's getting enough.

"Fiji Pink" is .5-1.5mm in size; the sand in this members tank looks to fit that profile.

OP
OP
AzReefn

AzReefn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah I have Bimini Pink but he does sift pretty much all day though. There are larger (up to 5 mm) pieces of coral but it seems that most (probably 70% - 80%) is the finer grain sand. There are a lot of larger pieces in that clip cause he was going out and getting the larger pieces and putting them in front of his home. I do love my little Goby so I'll make sure to get him what he needs. For now I'm going to get a bunch of pods and I will try feeding him some Mysis tonight. Thanks for the advice!

OP
OP
AzReefn

AzReefn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends on your refugium. Probably safe to feed mysis shrimp at least twice a week.

My fuge is... 30G 3 compartment w/ heaters/skimmer in 1st, chaeto in 2nd, and return pump in 3rd.

Would sifting out some of the larger pieces be worth it?

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bikini pink is probably fine, I had a bag of that mixed with Fiji pink in an older tank. It had a lot of larger pieces but seemed to be about 80% Fiji pink sized. What I saw in the video much have been all the chunky pieces.

Personally, I prefer super fine sand. I've got a .5mm black sand in my tank.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would sifting out some of the larger pieces be worth it?

Not in my opinion. I have some larger pieces mixed in with my sand and the goby uses them to shore up tunnels he digs on occasion. He'll meander across the tank to grab specific pieces sometimes.

OP
OP
AzReefn

AzReefn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I prefer super fine sand. I've got a .5mm black sand in my tank.

I really wanted black sand! This is my first tank though and I wasn't sure I'd like it or how it would look. I think that will be my choice on my next tank though.

Not in my opinion. I have some larger pieces mixed in with my sand and the goby uses them to shore up tunnels he digs on occasion. He'll meander across the tank to grab specific pieces sometimes.

Yeah, mine was going all over the tank and getting the large pieces...weird? LOL

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got some LRS herbivore frenzy, he was eating some of that but it didn't seem like he ate a bunch. Maybe he'll eat it as I feed it more.
Try reef frenzy. I have a hi fin red banded goby that loves it.
20171230_170956.jpg

Back