OP
OP
JamesP

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually gfo is not normal for me, but vodka is something i have been doing for a while now and it works well keeping my nitrates low but i threw in the gfo when the algae started going nuts as a last ditch effort. I added more after doing the deep clean just to try and keep them near 0 until i get some vibrant this weekend. I plan on pulling the gfo but i was going to keep at it with the vodka. Its done a pretty good job with nitrates, but it was my phosphates that went out of control this time.

On another note, when i got home one of my kessils was dead today. Out of warranty too so im in the market for a replacement led fixture. When bad things happen, they seem to pile on.

OP
OP
JamesP

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. Nitrates are 1.0 and phosphates are 0. The glass has been a lot cleaner, but Im starting to see algae show up on the tips of the rocks and on the frag plugs. Not overrun yet, but im trying to decide if i should get vibrant at this point. I have some replacement T5s on the way as the bulbs are a bit aged. Maybe that will help if the spectrum is red shifting. Im trying to avoid needing a chemical, but if i need it then id rather do it before i get overrun again.
d2656ff5cca2557600848b5518d0fa51.jpg

50e866cf47012b384352411255c60022.jpg

OP
OP
JamesP

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im starting to think the stuff that is coming back may be dinos. Its golden brown with bubbles at the tips. Any thoughts? I did order some vibrant yesterday too btw.
0ce7e99bc5cbe76be82b487320939dbe.jpg

0baa0b15f4ce098bf230c4bbf6f57ed2.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I think it's just funk growing.
I would bet your way low on snails.

But if your going to VIbrant , you may have to do thier job of a little while.

I would consider it like a surgery or chemo treatment.
Kill as much as you can with the Chems, then go into rehabilitation.

OP
OP
JamesP

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct on the snails. Since i had to copper the dt a while back, I never added any back so im currently snailess. I actually was planning on getting some and running them through the qt, but thats a few months out before I can get them into the dt that means. Im not sure what you mean by funk, but i guess you dont think it looks like dinos.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct on the snails. Since i had to copper the dt a while back, I never added any back so im currently snailess. I actually was planning on getting some and running them through the qt, but thats a few months out before I can get them into the dt that means. Im not sure what you mean by funk, but i guess you dont think it looks like dinos.
No, looks like normal tank slime algaes and stuff. And yea it might be Dino's every bottle has them just like cyano but some get fueled and most are eaten by snails.

I cycled a tank with no CUC once. It was gross.

OP
OP
JamesP

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So even with near zero nitrates and phosphates, you still get algae and slimes. I wouldnt have guessed it would come so quick in those conditions without a cuc.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So even with near zero nitrates and phosphates, you still get algae and slimes. I wouldnt have guessed it would come so quick in those conditions without a cuc.
Zero on OUR tests. It's a feast compared to the ocean.

OP
OP
JamesP

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learning something every day. Im going to start planning my replacement cuc tonight so i can get them in quarantine asap. I cant live like this. Makes me sad to look at it.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel ya. Beginning of last year my lil 30 was redrum. All I could do was wait and change water.

Look under the invert forum. Great how to choose CUC and waht snails eat article.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back