Algae Outbreaks: What's your BEST defense against it?

Do you feel that you have a good defense against algae outbreaks in your tank?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 174 39.5%
  • NO because I deal with algae a lot

Votes: 247 56.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 20 4.5%

• Total voters

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refugium, filter sock every other day, skimmer, boatload of snails, gotten past the ugly phase, I think I am prepared
I also added a refugium and found that my problem has now shifted from "keeping algae out of the DT" to "keeping algae out of the refugium" (I hypothesize excess GHA that I ignored caused my first round of chaeto to die)

OCHittman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae is the kryptonite that keeps our aquarium super powers from becoming to powerful for our own good! - author unknown (ok it was me)

But really is nuisance algae just something that we will always have to battle from time to time each year or can it be very rare to non existent in some reef tanks? For those that rarely deal with nuisance algae what do you think your best defense is against it? Let's moan and complain a little and see what comes up!

PS. I hate algae

1. How many times a year do you have to do battle with nuisance algae?

2. If you rarely deal with nuisance algae what do you think is your best defense against it?

image via @Chiefmaster30
372E06CB-0430-4011-8973-5AD9542CEF12.jpeg
Is there a solution to the red slim/algae? I’ve heard hermit crabs can help by my cleaning crew isn’t cutting it.

Jstone1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid cleanup crew, photo period and spectrum, filtration, low Phosphate and Nitrate and a yellow tang. I’ve never had a significant outbreak. I also run a refuge with cheato to out compete other algae and limit Nitrate/PO

OCHittman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae is the kryptonite that keeps our aquarium super powers from becoming to powerful for our own good! - author unknown (ok it was me)

But really is nuisance algae just something that we will always have to battle from time to time each year or can it be very rare to non existent in some reef tanks? For those that rarely deal with nuisance algae what do you think your best defense is against it? Let's moan and complain a little and see what comes up!

PS. I hate algae

2. If you rarely deal with nuisance algae what do you think is your best defense against it?

image via @Chiefmaster30
Is there a way to deal with the red sludge I battle practically every month?

Gordon Marvin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sailfin algae blenny, he doesn’t eat any algae and I’m still forced to clean it myself, and a hawkfish that i recently sold would eat any defense I put in place

Lrdtny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PS. I hate algae

image via @Chiefmaster30
Had a bad outbreak of gha. I took the hydrogen peroxide route. Worked great but you have to be very careful on dosing. I used 3% food grade. Started with 10ml twice daily for 3 days. Then uped it to 20ml then up to 30 ml over a period of 2 weeks. Worked wonders. Corals close up for a few days but have opened up since. Make your water crystal clear also after a few days. Fish had no side affects at all. I'm not saying this is the way to go I'm just saying it worked for me. 170 Ltr reef tank.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had major algae problems in the 20+ years that I have had reef tanks. Occasionally I get a little rust colored algae on some of the sandbed.

I think the fact that I run my actinic lights only 9 hours a day and the daylight bulb only 5 is a big reason. The one thing algae absolutely needs is light for photosynthesis.

The second factor is I have a refugium with macro algae/seagrass and DSB/live rock. The macro algae/seagrass take up nutrients and outcompete the nuisance algae. The DSB/live rock provide a home for bio-life that help keep nuisance algae at bay.

I do not have a skimmer or any kind of reactor. I do not use socks or filter material except if I am clearing up a stirred sandbed or something like that. I do a 10% WC once every 2 weeks.

I have 16-18 fish in my 100 gallon system and I feed very heavy. My nitrates are easily 30ppm and phosphates are about .05ppm.

This method has worked for me and my mixed reef.

Koopmb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PS. I hate algae

image via @Chiefmaster30
Bristletooth Tang, aka Tomini Tang....eats everything green and undesirable..when he doesn't have that, he eats mysis

Chobits

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only had nuisance algae when starting the tank, it dissappeard in two days when I added chaeto in sump. Always use RODI water and have balance between light for chaeto and light in main display. I also have UV filter and try to balance number of fish vs number of corals.
I have cuc but they would starve if they only had algae to eat.

aklouie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never battle anything. I have been using a DIY algae scrubber for decades. :p
That might be my last resort if this Nopox and Vibrant doesn’t work. I’m at week 7 and I now see a small difference. Will monitor a few more weeks before reevaluating treatment method.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nearly once a year.

Nutrients under control and an army of fish named Herb!

toadfarm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been going for about 1.5 years. I am far from an expert. But I've rarely had anything bad when it comes to algae. Even during my cycling period it never got serious. I started with live rock and have always had a decent CUC. Beginners luck

dtrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ulva has been my nemesis. I am finally winning my war and it is slowing down growth in my DT. I was not able to peroxide dip or scrub my rocks as my rocks are heavy and glued together. I started to overcome my Ulva problem by growing it in my refugium on a 22 hour light schedule along with adding turbo snails and additional astrea snails. Allowing the Ulva to grow almost 24/7 in my fuge has made it easier for my CUC to take care of it in my DT.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its as simple as "I live 1 hour away from the nearest saltwater fish store" and "Well I am still in highschool and only work in the summer so dont have money whenever i want XD" .
Im dealing with a major GHA outbreak, im gonna get a pincushion urchin, some more crabs and maybe like 2 nassarius snails or a serpent starfish.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little more than a year into my tank, and over the past few months I picked up a green cyano problem. I asked for help in R2R and got great advice. Did the three day blackout, slowly added lights, and of course the algae returned. I can't pinpoint if it's the low winter sun that's hitting the tank or if I created the issue when I started dosing NoPox and Red Sea ReefEnergyAB+.

So now, I'm not using ReefEnergy AB+ and let my corals pretty much consume whatever they can from the water / frozen food. Still using NoPox at low levels and my nitrates are around 5-10 and phosphate lower than 0.05. I'm doing weekly water changes and sucking up cyano each time. Would love to get this under control, but I'm reluctant to use chemicals and would prefer to figure out the "why" it's happening and focus on that.

Radicalrob1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PS. I hate algae

image via @Chiefmaster30
I run gfo. Try not to over feed. Keep livestock at an appropriate level. I find I recently bought flakes for my fish for some variety but I think it's what caused my recent minor outbreak of algae. Not the food but the fact that I kinda just pinch some in. Resulting in left over food which breaks down. I always usually use new life spectrum pellets and it takes way longer to break down so it gives more time to be eaten from my fish and shrimp. Plus whatever else like crabs and what not. I rarely have algae issues this way. No skimmer, no sump. Just change 5 gallons in my 20 long every 3 weeks. Usually always have low nitrates and phosphates

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 43 43.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 35 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back