Algae problem

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tangs23
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
5 tanks running with different livestock and varying nutrient levels running for years others less all get a film within 24 hrs tho I usually wait and scrape every 2-3 days. My tangs are too lazy to clean the glass but have no problems following along eating what I scrape off. Its just another part of routine maintenance for me.
 
Maybe you have too many excess nutrients in the water? Do you have a protein skimmer? Also, I find urchins eat algae quite efficiently
 
Other thing is adjusting spectrum of your light, I clean my glass every 2-3 days with predominantly blue light spectrum
 
Other thing is adjusting spectrum of your light, I clean my glass every 2-3 days with predominantly blue light spectrum
I am new to the saltwater world…and am losing the battle with algae…what do you mean you clean with blue light? Just put reef lights (I have a pair of hyperreef 200s on a 100g tank w/ 25 g refegium) on pure blue one day a week or something? I have urchins, snails, and hermits but they either can’t or won’t keep up….
 
As others have said a lot depends on your nutrient levels and lighting.

What type of filtration do you have? Pictures might help.
 
Mighty magnet every day or so. One of the reasons I built my lagoon is my hate for cleaning glass
 
I have a 40g tank with gobies, Clownfish, blennies & snails. What can I do to remove algae? I find myself scraping the glass every 2-3 days.

Welcome to the hobby. 😉

Unfortunately, this isn't a hobby where you can set it and forget it. 😀
 
As many have already said, it is just a part of maintaining a saltwater tank! There is no getting away from it. Your nutrient levels and lighting will play a big part, but it will always be a part of tank maintenance.
 
5 tanks running with different livestock and varying nutrient levels running for years others less all get a film within 24 hrs tho I usually wait and scrape every 2-3 days. My tangs are too lazy to clean the glass but have no problems following along eating what I scrape off. Its just another part of routine maintenance for me.
IYO will even the best uv sterilizers do anything to minimize algae growth if set on high flow
 
5 tanks running with different livestock and varying nutrient levels running for years others less all get a film within 24 hrs tho I usually wait and scrape every 2-3 days. My tangs are too lazy to clean the glass but have no problems following along eating what I scrape off. Its just another part of routine maintenance for me.
One of the tanks I clean for my job has a sailfin tang that follows me around eating the algae scrapings. It's so cute z

My blenny in my personal tank enjoys it too
 
One of the tanks I clean for my job has a sailfin tang that follows me around eating the algae scrapings. It's so cute z

My blenny in my personal tank enjoys it too
My Naso tang does the same!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new