Algae Scrubber Opinion

bigdan3489

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on buying a Santa Monica Filtration Drop 1.4 algae scrubber. How about some opinions on them? Anyone have any luck with the drop series or anyone of their other series? I'm planning on buying their air pump as well.

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
may want to check out turbo aquatics as well ;) I had a DIY scrubber and it was loud and had algae growing in sump due to light spillage. They cost a LOT more than DIY but I think are worth it good luck with yours.

OP
OP
bigdan3489

bigdan3489

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
may want to check out turbo aquatics as well ;) I had a DIY scrubber and it was loud and had algae growing in sump due to light spillage. They cost a LOT more than DIY but I think are worth it good luck with yours.
I will look into that, thank you

Irsug1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hog and surf. my suggestion is that if you have the room, go bigger. I feel as though I don't have enough surface area.

OP
OP
bigdan3489

bigdan3489

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hog and surf. my suggestion is that if you have the room, go bigger. I feel as though I don't have enough surface area.
I sure want to go bigger but I do not have enough room in my sump, I was wondering about the surface area. I only have a 75 gallon DT so I think I will be ok. I will in the future add a second one so I always have one filtering while the other is growing, I should have enough room for 2 of the drops in my sump.

Crued

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently became a believer. Have a HOG3 that took 9 months to grow, then finally took off. Bought a Surf4x and seeded it from HOG3, immediately grew in 1 week. Just bought the biggest Surf8x, waiting for it to arrive. The simplicity of the unit in no plumbing/no pumps and thus no leaks or risks makes it very attractive versus the other styles of ATS. To be fair, others, like my first 9 months, have had issues getting them going.

rjl45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a diy HOG on my 24g nano. Love it!! I'll always have an algae scrubber on any system I run.

OP
OP
bigdan3489

bigdan3489

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to take the plunge and I ordered the Drop 1.4, I should hopefully have it in the next couple of days.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back