Algae scrubbers are awesome for seahorse tanks!

Attakus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting article! Algae scrubbers were the cutting edge back in the 80's. Never caught on mainstream, even though they are quite effective. Guess they just looked like too much work for most people

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Horses were the reason I started investigating algal filtration in 2007. Found Adey's dump-bucket design first, then came up with the current waterfall design in 2008 that people use today, and then the bubble upflow design in 2011, and now the improved waterfall design in 2016.

OP
OP
Seahorsekelly69

Seahorsekelly69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Horses were the reason I started investigating algal filtration in 2007. Found Adey's dump-bucket design first, then came up with the current waterfall design in 2008 that people use today, and then the bubble upflow design in 2011, and now the improved waterfall design in 2016.

That's awesome! Thank you! My erectus display took a terrible aptasia hit, when an infected macro slipped by my QT. I had to remove 1/2 of my rock, in an already crowded erectus display, to bleach and recycle. I worried for nothing. The algae scrubber never flinched, and kept the over-crowded, under-filtered tank of seahorses eating 3-4 times a day, running for months with no issues. By the time I was ready to add rock back, I chose not to :). They like the extra space.

I would advise using a scrubber on a seahorse tank ANY time I'm asked. It's simple, effective, natural and works every time! Thank you again for being a huge part of making them available!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 187 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back