Algae transferring questions

yepreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, i have a 40g sps tank with black algae present in the tanks. I also have another 120 set up that ready for corals. I’m afraid that if i transfer cheato and some of the sps frags over ,my new 120g will also have an issues with black hair algea.
Any suggestions anyone? Thanks alot

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you will if you don't do anything about it before it goes in the new tank.

Can you set up a small holding tank? Then pull some frags from the old tank, clean them as well as you can. Maybe even give them a dip in H2O2 and then put them in the holding tank. If anything starts to grow, don't use it in the new tank. If you don't get any new algae growth, you should be OK to move them.

As for the cheato, I'd get a new supple for the new tank.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you will if you don't do anything about it before it goes in the new tank.

Can you set up a small holding tank? Then pull some frags from the old tank, clean them as well as you can. Maybe even give them a dip in H2O2 and then put them in the holding tank. If anything starts to grow, don't use it in the new tank. If you don't get any new algae growth, you should be OK to move them.

As for the cheato, I'd get a new supple for the new tank.

Good info, for my learning purpose could the frag be dipped like when dipping a new frag for bugs in Bayer or even lugols, if they even use that anymore?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mastiffsrule, I'm not sure Bayer or any other 'usual' coral dip will kill the algae. Lets ask the #ReefSquad.

I don't dip my corals, I isolate them in a holding tank for weeks until I have time to put them into my tank. But I don't dip and I don't treat the water in the holding tank. I have had some algae issues in the past (some recent past) and hydrogen peroxide worked well for me.

I cleaned the frags as well as I could with a small soft bristle brush under running cool water at the kitchen sink. Then I take a Q-tip and dip it in the H2O2 and dab it on the algae as best I can. After 5 minutes I put the frag in my holding tank and watch it. It's not 100% perfect solution, but for me it worked 9 times out of 10.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back