alibaba led bars vs high end led bars

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've been looking into getting led bars for my new build. i hear that most of these companies get their bars from china so i looked up "chinese reef led bars" on google.

so can anyone tell me whats the difference from the herifi led bars and the orphek or3's?

what i mostly care about is they way it will make the tank look and par.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appears to be the same product. I guess the main difference would be who you talk to if there’s a problem. Color layout appears identical. Housing looks basically identical

OP
OP
fishmonkey

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess in doing a bit of research I found some differences.

Firstly the or3 has 5w chips and not 3w. Not sure what exactly that entails for a reef tank but I’m sure it means something

Second there seems to be an acrylic bar that goes over the lenses. Not sure what that does either.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted that factory about getting a combo of bars to build my own panel but the $200 in shipping had me wondering if it's worth the gamble. Also not too big of a fan of sending $500 straight over to China and waiting for who knows how long for it to arrive here in the states. Seems like they have a decent reputation though.

I'm now considering the Quanta bars. I know some claim they are the same as well but they look very nice and aren't all that expensive. The more I look at them the more they seem to be different with diode counts, colors ect. Really it looks like the housing is just the same. Also 5w vs 3w I believe. I think they are both under driven, it's about saving heat since it's passively cooled from what I understand.
I'm waiting to see some more reviews on them before making my final decision but they look promising, specially with the 120 degree optics.

I could save about 50% after shipping is what mine came to. Orphek vs Alibaba I'd probably take the gamble on Herifi bars as they look really similar. Quanta I think is going to have an edge on both.

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of these bars have had spectrum and par reviews by telegraham on Instagram/YouTube.

if you’d like the TL:DR version:

If they look EXACTLY the same as the aliexpress version…. They are.

I’ve got the aliexpress version of the reef breeders lumen bars. They are the exact same product.

OP
OP
fishmonkey

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of these bars have had spectrum and par reviews by telegraham on Instagram/YouTube.

I’ve got the aliexpress version of the reef breeders lumen bars. They are the exact same product.
So just YouTube telegraham?

OP
OP
fishmonkey

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted that factory about getting a combo of bars to build my own panel but the $200 in shipping had me wondering if it's worth the gamble. Also not too big of a fan of sending $500 straight over to China and waiting for who knows how long for it to arrive here in the states. Seems like they have a decent reputation though.

I'm now considering the Quanta bars. I know some claim they are the same as well but they look very nice and aren't all that expensive. The more I look at them the more they seem to be different with diode counts, colors ect. Really it looks like the housing is just the same. Also 5w vs 3w I believe. I think they are both under driven, it's about saving heat since it's passively cooled from what I understand.
I'm waiting to see some more reviews on them before making my final decision but they look promising, specially with the 120 degree optics.

I could save about 50% after shipping is what mine came to. Orphek vs Alibaba I'd probably take the gamble on Herifi bars as they look really similar. Quanta I think is going to have an edge on both.
Yea I didn’t realize the shipping cost was so much. Still would save a lot but not as much as initially thoughth

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've been looking into getting led bars for my new build. i hear that most of these companies get their bars from china so i looked up "chinese reef led bars" on google.

so can anyone tell me whats the difference from the herifi led bars and the orphek or3's?

what i mostly care about is they way it will make the tank look and par.
Look at 21ledusa before you buy. I have various sps to polyps thriving with these. Lots of bang for the buck.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure to check the imput power and such. They have a radion knockoff now too but it seems the power supply is lower so probably lower power fixture. They look identical but are not. You can have a 5w led but doesn't mean it's being driven at 5w.

Oprhek does have sales a lot if shipping doesn't save that much (I paid $150 for my 48" bars new with a sale). Also there are a bunch on the classifieds for 75-120 per bar right now.

I don't think actual Oprheks come with a app or dimming yet so that's interesting. Looks like you have to buy packs of 4 of the same color?

Last edited:

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just YouTube telegraham?
Start with this video and search his playlist from there. If you send him a message on Instagram he can point you to the video of a specific light if he’s done the testing on it also. Jim’s a great guy.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m cautious about using anything that isn’t UL Listed around water in my home and made with the cheapest components plus many home insurance policies are voided due to fires caused by such a product. Why risk home and family to save a few bucks? Especially when used quality always available since some must always have the latest and greatest.

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m cautious about using anything that isn’t UL Listed around water in my home and made with the cheapest components plus many home insurance policies are voided due to fires caused by such a product. Why risk home and family to save a few bucks? Especially when used quality always available since some must always have the latest and greatest.
My aliexpress led bars are built better than my reefbrites are.

OP
OP
fishmonkey

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at 21ledusa before you buy. I have various sps to polyps thriving with these. Lots of bang for the buck.
O wow those are a good deal. How many for acropora tank?

also my problem is that orphek does have great marketing because they give you actual picture of their product being used in tanks. While other leds don’t really have any picture of amazing tanks using their led’s.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is there much selection of lights that are UL listed?

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah the reef Breeders ATO is the same as one 40 dollars cheaper. Lots of distributors in this business, not many manufacturers.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there much selection of lights that are UL listed?
Kessil is. I think ecotech as well. I’d expect most would be. At a minimum, I’d be less concerned with those made by reputable companies than made in China with no USA or European company overseeing the operation of what’s being built.

BRS did a video on black box lights. One of the points they made was the cheap parts and lacking UL Approval. Not wanting to save a few bucks yet risk an issues down the road.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back