alibaba led bars vs high end led bars

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Four Herify bars all driven off one driver. Controlled via WiFi (the app is a little clunky). Each bar can do individual sunrise sunset. Here they are doing “cloud mode”….which I will never use. Looking forward to mounting these.

2718FC5B-4AFF-45D0-8B06-42C76147313E.jpeg
D4A5B971-9DC3-4772-B2B0-5E7E4AA013CF.jpeg
97A669BC-0746-4323-A666-D0B002B9E2E2.jpeg

Can you confirm if the stroking as the lights go down is visible to the eye? Is that the lights ramping down, or camera catching the strobe some lights make.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you confirm if the stroking as the lights go down is visible to the eye? Is that the lights ramping down, or camera catching the strobe some lights make.
I’ve not programmed the sunrise/sunset yet, but when I do it manually, it looks smooth. What you see in the video is the cloud mode that is supposed to look like the sun peaking in and out of clouds….therefore the blinking and ramping up/down combined. Again, I would never consider running that mode on my tank. The “lightning” mode is even crazier. You’d have to be a real psycho to run that.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have data to share? I'd be interested in your findings.

I have the Quantas and an OR2. Although they use different extrusions, build quality is nearly identical, with the only difference being the Orphek blacks out the glass covering the guts of the light. Regarding output, the OR3 is 8W less than the Quanta at the same spectrum.

Is it possible to get the cheaper bars built to the exact specs as the Orphek day plus bar? Or maybe modified a touch? I’d like a 3rd 740nm added and have the 3 spaced equally. The rest can stay the same

A2AFD818-8239-45C1-8551-ED1C1713C294.jpeg

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve not programmed the sunrise/sunset yet, but when I do it manually, it looks smooth. What you see in the video is the cloud mode that is supposed to look like the sun peaking in and out of clouds….therefore the blinking and ramping up/down combined. Again, I would never consider running that mode on my tank. The “lightning” mode is even crazier. You’d have to be a real psycho to run that.
Yeah both of those gimmick modes should have been killed immediately after it was thought up lol

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second 21LEDUSA, it‘s the only thing I’ll run on my Reef Tank, their customer service is awesome. Also I like their SunSetter Control, its the only control I don’t have to break out the manual each time I want to change settings. Also I dropped a bunch of ReefBars in the tank while powered up, and nothing was damaged. Not too many LED manufacturers that can claim that. A little Salt Spray and they are Toast. As far as the UL Label I wouldn’t be too concerned, their Power supplies all have the Ground tap on the plug, and after the power supply it’s 12 volt low wattage. Their Metal Halide Replacement LED’s the Ground tap is actually attached to the light enclosure!

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second 21LEDUSA, it‘s the only thing I’ll run on my Reef Tank, their customer service is awesome. Also I like their SunSetter Control, its the only control I don’t have to break out the manual each time I want to change settings. Also I dropped a bunch of ReefBars in the tank while powered up, and nothing was damaged. Not too many LED manufacturers that can claim that. A little Salt Spray and they are Toast. As far as the UL Label I wouldn’t be too concerned, their Power supplies all have the Ground tap on the plug, and after the power supply it’s 12 volt low wattage. Their Metal Halide Replacement LED’s the Ground tap is actually attached to the light enclosure!
Have you used the halide replacement floodlights over a reef?
I'd love to see pics, vid. And get any and all imput on those.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I programmed the light bars tonight. Ramping is completely smooth with no noticeable ramping. These bars gave my tank a huge pop of light. The app is a bit wonky, but fine…and still better than the Orphek app for my V4s.

I will be moving soon and going to a shorter wider tank. These are too long. I will likely order another shorter set. I will also likely have them add in some white LEDs into two of the bars, because these things ( two bars with pure 470 and two with a range from low to high 400s) are a bit too blue for me.

My acros had some noticeable extra PE tonight, but not sure I can attribute it to the lights

AlexandraDreadlocksPanda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure to check the imput power and such. They have a radion knockoff now too but it seems the power supply is lower so probably lower power fixture. They look identical but are not. You can have a 5w led but doesn't mean it's being driven at 5w.

Oprhek does have sales a lot if shipping doesn't save that much (I paid $150 for my 48" bars new with a sale). Also there are a bunch on the classifieds for 75-120 per bar right now.

I don't think actual Oprheks come with a app or dimming yet so that's interesting. Looks like you have to buy packs of 4 of the same color?
When you go to add to cart in Alibaba there is a ‘specs’ tab you can open up, that has loads of different combo’s of bars to select.

AlexandraDreadlocksPanda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both Herifi and Orphek bars over my reef. They are NOT comparable quality, Orphek is far superior in colour of light, and how much UV their UV bars kick out compared to the Herifi UV ones , which seem to be more blue light. Also, if you need to replace an LED on the Orpheks, the cover glass is held by screws -Herifi glass is bonded in so needs breaking and replacing… so far in 15 months I’ve only had 1 of the 10 bars I’ve got give any problems, and that’s been a blown LED on a Herifi unit.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and how much UV their UV bars kick out compared to the Herifi UV ones
That's a complex statement to quantify because you can't see UV light, you can see Violet light (400nm and above) but not UV (below 400nm). Orphek (looking at their product descriptions) don't have any actual UV LEDs in them, they are all 400+nm. They get some trailing UV off their 400nm chips down to 385 or so, but the amount is negligible. Unfortunately, Herifi doesn't list the specific nm chips they use on their UV fixture, but if they're using true UV bulbs (385nm, 365nm), it's all light you wouldn't see with your own eyes and would be overpowered by any Blue LEDs.

Last edited:

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There soon will be a 2 row led reef bar option on the market. Price looks to be closer to the ebay evergrow price then some of the others. Custom layouts as an option

Currently working with the manufacturer on 2-3 layouts now.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There soon will be a 2 row led reef bar option on the market. Price looks to be closer to the ebay evergrow price then some of the others. Custom layouts as an option

What’s up with this? Any news?

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When it's time, hit me up. Happy to test.

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using the standard ReefBars or the ReefBar Pros?

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the 21led bars, what would you recommend to fill in a few gaps between 2 full size Orphek V4G2 lights. I was looking at 3 BluePlus or3 bars but am intrigued by these options.
Then, what would you suggest for a frag tank. 48/24/12 approximately 60 gallons?
Orphek’s are 15 inches above the tank, will there have the punch to get into the tank. The display is 48/48/24, sps.

thanks
Corey

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back