Alk dropping with DOS, always turned off??

JonChicago

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my I noticed my Alk dropping just before the new year. It's typically steady in the mid 8's but my Trident was showing a pretty consistent drop. You can see in the attached pictures it went from 8.39 to 7.0 in just 3 days or so. Now I have a DOS, with Trident controlled dosing which is supposed to keep Alk at 9. I noticed though on Fusion it seems as though the 1st pump of the DOS (the one that controls Alk) is always switched off. If I switch it to on, the pump will run until I toggle to either auto or off but then it never seems to run again? I attached a screenshot of the pump schedule and even added a small 10 min window earlier today when I was trying to figure things out and it didn't run at all during this time. The 2nd pump of the DOS says "TBL" in blue but the first pump just has "OFF" in gray. Any ideas? I've seen previous posts that if the Alk range gets to far from what is set for the Trident controls it'll just revert to dosing what was initially scheduled (or something along those lines).

It shows on fusion as though the pump is dosing but I haven't heard it run at all during it's normal scheduled times. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and happy new year!

Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 12.39.42 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 12.39.56 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 4.20.36 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 4.26.45 PM.png

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try manually dosing to get it to your desired range and then try the DOS (should do over a couple of days to get it up to 9.0). What did you set as the failsafe dosing/the daily dosing amount?

OP
OP
JonChicago

JonChicago

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try manually dosing to get it to your desired range and then try the DOS (should do over a couple of days to get it up to 9.0). What did you set as the failsafe dosing/the daily dosing amount?
I have a +/- of 10 mL with a variance in range of .25dKH. Thats my plan. I'm up to 7.6 now so just going to keep doing what I'm doing and hoping it starts doing what it should once I get it back up.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Alk got too high recently and it went to a standard daily dose which kept increasing it. I turned it off for about 3/4 day until it got within the set range and then started working fine again. If I recall when I set mine up, it asked for the current daily dose amount to keep the tank stable which I believe is what it reverts to if it gets out of the variance range. If this was set to 0, that might cause it to stop dosing?

OP
OP
JonChicago

JonChicago

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna do some more digging now. I know I've heard of it reverting back to a set amount if it gets out of range but I don't see anywhere where I set it to what that specific range would be or set to 0?

OP
OP
JonChicago

JonChicago

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Alk got too high recently and it went to a standard daily dose which kept increasing it. I turned it off for about 3/4 day until it got within the set range and then started working fine again. If I recall when I set mine up, it asked for the current daily dose amount to keep the tank stable which I believe is what it reverts to if it gets out of the variance range. If this was set to 0, that might cause it to stop dosing?
So I'm gonna experiment with my next dosing interval that comes up in a few hours. I decreased the desired ALK range down to 8 and increased the variance to .5 dKH. So since according to my last Trident test my Alk is 7.63 it should dose as intended since it falls within the accepted range. I don't know, gonna keep my fingers crossed.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 5.20.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 5.20.13 PM.png
    75.5 KB · Views: 46

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back