Alkalinity issues

Anitaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not new to this hobby, but last year I got a larger tank, 40 gal aqua-top. I have soft corals and SP, along with 4 fish and some brittle stars that came in the rock, and some snails as CUC. I have a hard time getting my alkaline up. Ranges 6-7, calcium 376, ph 7.9 nitrate 1, nitrite 0, phos 0.03. I top off with kalk and sometimes add 8.4. I note some detritus on top of gravel, I have good tank flow, do feed phytoplankton, reef roofs, fuel and reef AB, alternating to do 3 times weekly, along with feeding brine shrimp to Fish 2-3 times weekly. I was a cleaning fanatic with my tank, 5 gal water changes and gravel vac every week. Have stopped, only 4 gal water change every other week.
any help/suggestions appreciated!
Thank you

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
A572123D-CC4E-4F2F-96DA-E9780A02091B.gif

Upvote 0

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As your corals grow, the system will consume Ca, Alk, Mg. Some purchase a doser and dose the elements them self or us a trident system of dosing, or the balling method to maintain the Ca, Alk, Mg.
Curved R2R Welcome 3-31-23 2.0.png

Upvote 0

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi There. I am not one if the experts here, but guided by those experts I have decided to add a quarter teaspoon of sodium carbonate (may move on to bicarbonate) to my ATO, twice a week. This has raised my dKH from 6.5 to 7.6 in 10 days. Mix the carbonate with RO water, and, if it does not completely dissolve, get in there with a kitchen whisk for 30 seconds or so. Not as glamorous as all the automatic dosing but working nicely so far. Will test every 3 days and adjust amount as needed. Used the reef calculator to start with …

Upvote 0

August

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that I need a bit more control then dozing via ATO can provide, plus the extra wear and tear on your ATO equipment. Your numbers seem low for alk and calc (don't know what your magnesium is at. kalk keeps my magnesium higher though alk and calc seem to slowly fall off), so you might need to up the dozing you use. I have done a supplemental doze with soda ash and calcium chloride just to get alk and calc numbers higher. I do like the singular dozing with Kalkwasser but I am still dialing in my tank parameters with the livestock.

Just because I am curious and I have limited exposure to nitrate test kits (only 2 kits), what test kit gave you a '1' on nitrate? Was it a Hannah digital kit?

Oh, I do admire your feeding methods and look forward to your build thread. Glad you are here!

Upvote 0

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the alkalinity of the new salt mix your using and make sure your not reducing it at every water change, Infact with those nutrient levels I would reduce the water changes down.

If that’s not the issue just add some alkalinity additive to bring it up to around 8-8.5 for some ‘wiggle room’.

Upvote 0

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your new salt water mix at ?
I think it’s good to check that, since you need to find out what you’re starting with and what changes by how much
If you know your new salt water is X parameter and after a week when it’s time for a water change. It changed Y amount. That will help you know what should be dosed

Also if you find out that your salt water mix is similar than adjust the salt water mix

Upvote 0

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that I need a bit more control then dozing via ATO can provide, plus the extra wear and tear on your ATO equipment. Your numbers seem low for alk and calc (don't know what your magnesium is at. kalk keeps my magnesium higher though alk and calc seem to slowly fall off), so you might need to up the dozing you use. I have done a supplemental doze with soda ash and calcium chloride just to get alk and calc numbers higher. I do like the singular dozing with Kalkwasser but I am still dialing in my tank parameters with the livestock.

Just because I am curious and I have limited exposure to nitrate test kits (only 2 kits), what test kit gave you a '1' on nitrate? Was it a Hannah digital kit?

Oh, I do admire your feeding methods and look forward to your build thread. Glad you are here!
You are quite right about the variable rate of evaporation and so the less than perfect dosing of SC/SB through the ATO. Having said that, my ATO water needs replenishing every 3 days. I then add the SC/SB into the RO for the ATO … I am at home every day so it is an easy regime for me to follow.

Upvote 0

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your new salt water mix at ?
I think it’s good to check that, since you need to find out what you’re starting with and what changes by how much
If you know your new salt water is X parameter and after a week when it’s time for a water change. It changed Y amount. That will help you know what should be dosed

Also if you find out that your salt water mix is similar than adjust the salt water mix
An excellent idea to test the salt mix dKH first and work from there. I suspect that in for example my new 50 gallon tank that in due course one to two spoons of SC/SB every 3 days will suffice even if I try to raise alkalinity to say 8.5.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Anitaw

Anitaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It was the Hannah, I use the dip sticks in between and that will show a higher range

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
welcome33.gif

I am not new to this hobby, but last year I got a larger tank, 40 gal aqua-top. I have soft corals and SP, along with 4 fish and some brittle stars that came in the rock, and some snails as CUC. I have a hard time getting my alkaline up. Ranges 6-7, calcium 376, ph 7.9 nitrate 1, nitrite 0, phos 0.03. I top off with kalk and sometimes add 8.4. I note some detritus on top of gravel, I have good tank flow, do feed phytoplankton, reef roofs, fuel and reef AB, alternating to do 3 times weekly, along with feeding brine shrimp to Fish 2-3 times weekly. I was a cleaning fanatic with my tank, 5 gal water changes and gravel vac every week. Have stopped, only 4 gal water change every other week.
any help/suggestions appreciated!
Thank you
I suspect coral consumption. Calcium works with alk and can affect the rate of Ph within the system. It can be as simple as the salt you use which may be lower in dkh and calcium which would be indicated on the salt container or box. When my alk drops, I compensate by adding baking soda to the sump until it buffers and stabilizes my numbers. You can repeat each 24 hours.
When you raise your CA level, it will lower the alk numbers also because calcium carbonate precipitation will lower alk level, so you have to work a balance between the two often accomplished using two part solutions and monitoring both levels.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Anitaw

Anitaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome33.gif

I suspect coral consumption. Calcium works with alk and can affect the rate of Ph within the system. It can be as simple as the salt you use which may be lower in dkh and calcium which would be indicated on the salt container or box. When my alk drops, I compensate by adding baking soda to the sump until it buffers and stabilizes my numbers. You can repeat each 24 hours.
When you raise your CA level, it will lower the alk numbers also because calcium carbonate precipitation will lower alk level, so you have to work a balance between the two often accomplished using two part solutions and monitoring both levels.
Thank you,
I buy my salt and RO water from our fish store and never had issues with it. The odd thing is my husband uses the same water in a smaller 14 gallon tank not as many corals, and his alkalinity and pH are spot on. I do get my calcium and magnesium levels tested at the fish store as I don’t have any testers for that but they seem to be all within range.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you,
I buy my salt and RO water from our fish store and never had issues with it. The odd thing is my husband uses the same water in a smaller 14 gallon tank not as many corals, and his alkalinity and pH are spot on. I do get my calcium and magnesium levels tested at the fish store as I don’t have any testers for that but they seem to be all within range.
Find out what kits and method they are using to do these tests for you.
There is such a thing with bad RO and salt water purchased and not saying it is but have it tested when you purchase again for: Nitrate-Phosphate-CA-ALK -MAG and even salinity. Im familiar with all the WI stores as I am in Sheboygan area.
You may however have answered your question to why your alk is low. You mention hubby has a 14 gal tank using same water and has less corals and alk is good on his tank.
As I had mentioned- Consumption- You have more corals and in turn are utilizing the alk and CA for their needs showing dropped levels.
This is safe- drop a teaspoon of normal baking soda per 10 gals into the sump next 3-4 days. Watch what happens yo your alk levels- They will slowly climb

Last edited:
Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back