Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all know (I think ) that alkalinity should be kept as stable as possible. However there is little information on what 'stable' is so I am starting the poll to see what change average reefer see's on a daily basis when they test their tank.

Would be interesting if you added a post to say what kind of reef you keep.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.0-0.2 is stable, if using a calcium reactor or GOOD dosing pumps those numbers are maintainable. I saw the post about Kalkwasser you asked this morning, it is possible to get big swings from kalk if not dosed right.
But, kalk is awesome if you are still considering employing it..

OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.0-0.2 is stable, if using a calcium reactor or GOOD dosing pumps those numbers are maintainable. I saw the post about Kalkwasser you asked this morning, it is possible to get big swings from kalk if not dosed right.
But, kalk is awesome if you are still considering employing it..

I use Triton on my display tank and I'm trying to use the Kalk stirrer on my Nano quarantine tank. It uses too much for just weekly water changes.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With regards to alkalinity stability and calcium hydroxide, the problem is not the limewater itself. The problem is the delivery mechanism. Most people's ATOs work well enough for keeping salinity stable. However, they're not great in terms of adding the exact same amount of fresh water at the exact same time every day. Evaporation may also vary based on time of day, season, how much your AC has been running, if/how much you have your windows open, etc. You would have the same problems with stability if you mixed sodium carbonate (soda ash) or sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) into your ATO reservoir.

If you want to use calcium hydroxide in the most consistent way possible, make a super-saturated solution (or use a kalk stirrer/reactor) and dose some limewater every hour on the hour with a quality dosing pump. You get the same amount of calcium hydroxide dosed every day, regardless of how much your tank evaporates. If you're dosing less limewater than your tank needs in top-off, your ATO will pick up the slack and add freshwater to make up the difference.

The only caveat with this approach is that it's possible to add more limewater than your tank evaporates in fresh water. If this happens, however, you will notice your tank's water level rising and can adjust accordingly.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back