Alkatronic Users Thread

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try turning off the washout mode and see if that allows you to get a result more than once, without a retest.

Last edited:

jason412

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes no retest with washout mode off. Ran calibration again on C and A. On C the bottom of the water level is touching 10 so appears ok. Pump A is at 53 still.

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet, we made progress!
I’m not 100% sure that Alkatronic adjusts the actual delivery of the pumps. It could be making an adjustment to the math it does to calculate the result. I have also never tested this, so I’m just guessing.
What was your result? And how does it compare to a manual test? Also, it is repeatable? Can you run several tests and get the same result each time?

jason412

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes thats what i was wondering too. Whether or not writing the values read actually controls the pumps output or just adjusted within the calculation. In the manual it says "So now press ”Test Pump Accuracy” and choose ”Pump A”, then it will automatically fill the test-beaker with exactly 50 ml."

ShadowR55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Don't have any apple devices though haha. I can connect via cloud but biggest issue seems to be pump A calibration. I run it and pumps 53ml into cylinder. I enter the values but it never reduces the amount of water. Always 53-53.5ml. Was thinking maybe it's not properly saving via cloud. Anyone else have this issue?
Calibration is not the same as test pump accuracy. Once you calibrate, you can go to test pump accuracy and it should dispense the correct amount. Calibration always pumps out more than 50ml.

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is high but not that high. The retests are due to the fluctuation between the previous tests.

I noticed it took a couple of weeks for the PH probe to settle down. I had swings too, but not as much as you are describing. I assume you have already restarted the Alkatronic. I agree the connectivity is quirky, one area Focustronic should focus on improving. In my opinion, you should only need Bluetooth to set up the wireless connection. It should only use wireless after that.

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good point. Did you try the test accuracy button to see if it delivers 50ml?
Also, can you answer the questions above for results and repeatability? I’m wondering because it could help steer us in the right direction to get you dialed in.

ShadowR55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave it be for a couple weeks once it’s setup so the PH probe can get the bio film on it and then recalibrate the PH probe. You have to do this with any PH probe because it really needs to “soak” and form a bio film.

ShadowR55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also triple check that the intake hose is weighted down and that it’s not anywhere downstream of your dosing tubes. The hose(and filter) HAVE to be weighted down because the alkatronic will push air through it to clear out the old tank water before running a new test, so it will float up when that happens.

jason412

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. So I ran a few tests and was up in the 11-12s. Hanna is currently telling me 8.7. I went back into calibration and finally got a different message! The digital readout displayed Pump A calibrated @ 53ml. After that message it is reading much better( High 8s- low 9s). Maybe was just connection issue somewhere/somehow? Yes I understand the bio film but thought the variance was too much to just be biofilm.

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you all:

I have the Alkatronic hooked up to my Apex. HOWEVER, the KH always is slightly off from the actual value. I've tried re-calibrating and removing/adding the temperature compensation but no sucess in getting the value to match. This is something of a minor problem as it will cause my Apex programming not to trigger my CA reactor pump exactly when I want it to.

Does anyone know what to do about this?

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i'm reading your post correctly, I think what you're seeing is a result of resistance in the BNC connections or the cable itself. When I set up mine initially, I used a right angle adapter, and I found that it caused the readings to be off due to adding resistance and changing what Apex sees.
upload_2019-1-8_10-18-51.png

I also replaced my cable to a more expensive version hoping to get it closer to the Alkatronic reading.
I'm close now, but readings will still vary a little, like +- .05.

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TMB that is my problem exactly. I also have exactly a .05 variance between the Alkatronic and Apex.

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TMB that is my problem exactly. I also have exactly a .05 variance between the Alkatronic and Apex.
You can try removing any adapters, if there are none then I think it comes from resistance in the cable/connectors. I didn't look really hard, but if I wanted it closer, I would look for a cable with ultra low signal resistance.
Try unplugging and replugging several times (self cleaning contacts of sorts) and see if that causes your readings to be closer.

Here's my readings now:
upload_2019-1-8_10-33-42.png

upload_2019-1-8_10-34-15.png

HAHA, I just noticed the drop to 6.97 that looks like a giant Alk swing! It's not, that is what happens when you power off the Alkatronic, it sends a signal of 7.0 until the next test. which read as 6.97!;):)

ShadowR55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you all:

I have the Alkatronic hooked up to my Apex. HOWEVER, the KH always is slightly off from the actual value. I've tried re-calibrating and removing/adding the temperature compensation but no sucess in getting the value to match. This is something of a minor problem as it will cause my Apex programming not to trigger my CA reactor pump exactly when I want it to.

Does anyone know what to do about this?
Use a cable like this: Monoprice Viper Series HD-SDI RG6 BNC Cable, 3ft https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYOSYOA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_BionCbK8FDJQN
The shorter, the better. Apex only takes an analog signal so it’s always gonna be off slightly. Mine varies no more than .05 with this cable, usually .02.

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I should have mentioned that I have a 75 ohm cable on it already.
I figured you did, just hoping to help.
You could try messing with the PH output calibration, to see if that helps "trick it" into reading correctly? Mine seems to always be low, meaning it reads consistently .05 lower that the actual measurement.
Maybe you could account for the variance in your Apex programming? Sorry I can't help you get closer.

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured you did, just hoping to help.
You could try messing with the PH output calibration, to see if that helps "trick it" into reading correctly? Mine seems to always be low, meaning it reads consistently .05 lower that the actual measurement.
Maybe you could account for the variance in your Apex programming? Sorry I can't help you get closer.

Thanks. Tried that too. :)

I sent a message to Focustronic to see if some sort of manual calibration/modification of the signal can be programmed--sort of like the functionality that currently exists if there is a badly mixed batch of reagent.

Maybe part of the next firmware update.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back