Alkatronic Users Thread

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like these things are super back ordered.

stevem650

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Receiving my Alkatronic Thursday. Ordered from saltwateraquarium.com and also got a free ICP test.

Wasatch.Wired

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not heard of a single defective unit so far, and for that reason I'm going to keep trying with mine. Hanna Checker says 9.7, Red Sea alk check says 10, and Salifert says 10.3. I'm pretty sure that my Alkalinity is around 10. Alkatronics unit setup Last Friday night started at 15. And after a retest, "please restart". I haven't dosed since setting it up. The Alkalinity started falling and got down to 11.5. But whenever it did a scheduled test, the results were out of range 13+. The only time I get a maybe normal result is when I manually initiate a test. Troubleshooting so far.
Verified length of tubing. Water In: 18" up and over the lip of the tank. Filter on, zip tied to my salinity probe. Water out is 12" into a jug. The jug is lower than the unit. Reagent tube is the same length it was when I pulled it out of the box. It is pushed through a hole in a plastic jug. Water in Calibration always hit 52ml. Reagent Calibration always hits 10.5. Water out tube is touching the bottom of the beaker. Reagent in is snapped into place. And Water in tubing is snapped in and resting at the stop point. pH probe calibrated twice. I have made 2 batches of reagent with a priming/calibration between switches. Ideas?

Screenshot_20190214-072514_Chrome.jpg

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not heard of a single defective unit so far, and for that reason I'm going to keep trying with mine. Hanna Checker says 9.7, Red Sea alk check says 10, and Salifert says 10.3. I'm pretty sure that my Alkalinity is around 10. Alkatronics unit setup Last Friday night started at 15. And after a retest, "please restart". I haven't dosed since setting it up. The Alkalinity started falling and got down to 11.5. But whenever it did a scheduled test, the results were out of range 13+. The only time I get a maybe normal result is when I manually initiate a test. Troubleshooting so far.
Verified length of tubing. Water In: 18" up and over the lip of the tank. Filter on, zip tied to my salinity probe. Water out is 12" into a jug. The jug is lower than the unit. Reagent tube is the same length it was when I pulled it out of the box. It is pushed through a hole in a plastic jug. Water in Calibration always hit 52ml. Reagent Calibration always hits 10.5. Water out tube is touching the bottom of the beaker. Reagent in is snapped into place. And Water in tubing is snapped in and resting at the stop point. pH probe calibrated twice. I have made 2 batches of reagent with a priming/calibration between switches. Ideas?

Screenshot_20190214-072514_Chrome.jpg

Have you tried to make sure that the reagent you mixed is correct? I know there are some instructions to confirm the mix some where. Here is the Facebook group too:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/168117720788273/

stevem650

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few questions. Going to set up my Alkatronic this weekend.
1. I use Apex Dos using Bulk Reef Supply Alk & Cal. Can I use the BRS ALK to dose from the Alkatronic?
2. I currently Dose 110ml a day of ALK with Apex Dos. Can the Alkatronic dose that much Daily?
3. Should I continue to use Apex Dos and just have Alkatronic monitor Alk?
4. What is the Max distance the unit can be from the sump?
Thanks

jimbob928

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am by no means an expert, but here is what I understand...
1. Yes. That is what I'm doing.
2. Probably, but that is not the intent. Use the DOS for your main Alk additions, let the Alkatronic add a little more if you are low.
3. See #2. You can use the Alkatronic to monitor, or to add a little extra Alk. Up to you.
4. Directions say tubing to be no longer than 3 feet. The reason I believe this is as follows:
Alkatronic in resting state has tank water in the testing beaker to keep pH prob wet. To begin a test, it pumps the water in the beaker to "backflush" the filter. Then it draws new tank water into the beaker. If the line is too long, it might not get all the old water out of the tubing, which may affect the test result.

Coralvue has a nice setup video which I found to be very helpful.

Good Luck. I've only had mine for two months, but I like it so far.

stevem650

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just reading the 5.5 manual. Tubing distance for #1 pump to reagent 0.5m(19”) max and for water in 1.5m (59”). That would allow the unit to be 5’ from my sump. Does this sound correct?

jimbob928

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the manual says up to 1.5 meters, but shorter is better. Carlos says 3 feet in the video. I'm drawing water from the display tank as its closer to where I was able to put the Alkatronic. I used an airstone I broke in half and connected it to the filter with a short length of airline to weigh it down. I'd send you a link, but it is currently unavailable from Amazon.

stevem650

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Redsea 750. The alkatronic is being placed on right compartment of stand. Sump water going to the unit has to climb/suctioned around 2’ and then down to unit another 2’. Do you think that will be an issue?

LimestoneCowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know how to turn off the reminder to "calibrate pump D"? We only use our Alkatronic for measuring alk. Thx

LimestoneCowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know how to turn off the reminder to "calibrate pump D"? We only use our Alkatronic for measuring alk. Thx
I think I just found it. :) When the latest firmware updated, it turned action mode back to "on". I just turned it off again and will see if that stops it in case that helps anyone else. Thank you

LimestoneCowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I just found it. When the latest firmware updated, it turned action mode back to "on". I just turned it off again and will see if that stops it in case that helps anyone else. Thank you

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had anyone's unit just stopped connecting to the app via BT? The wifi works but the BT just stopped working? No idea what to do.

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Had anyone's unit just stopped connecting to the app via BT? The wifi works but the BT just stopped working? No idea what to do.

I've had the same, if i unplug/plug back in, then open up the app without first connecting to the wifi URL, it reconnects via Bluetooth for me.

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I have done the same.

I have the web app closed completely. I even went as far as turning off my WiFi in the house and still can not connect to it anymore.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back