Alkatronic

Discussion in 'Bulk Reef Supply' started by hart24601, Dec 4, 2018.

1. smartwater101

smartwater101 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

I finally got an Alkatronic and absolutely love it. (Aside from the terrible bluetooth, but thankfully that's just for initial startup, I'm just using wifi now)

They responded to my questions on Facebook with a couple minutes of asking so I've had no problems there. I've done several Red Sea and Hanna tests to insure the Alkatronic is on track, and its working perfectly!

Hopefully BRS gives this thing some attention. They received theirs mid Apr, but didn't realize they had no reagents until mid May? Its now a few weeks into June... surely its set up now??

GoVols likes this.

2. Bulk Reef Supply

Bulk Reef Supply Valuable Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor Partner Sponsor 2019

I actually just received the reagents this morning. I'll be honest, it was a bit frustrating trying to get reagents, but we will be up and running here shortly. I'd be happy to report back with my initial thoughts on setup.

GoVols likes this.
  3. GoVols

GoVols Cobb / Webb - 1989 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award MTRCMember Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

I love it too and it matches Salifert to a tee.

But, I will show their customer support forum.

They need to get back in the game, with Neptune and GHL.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  4. Bulk Reef Supply

Bulk Reef Supply Valuable Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor Partner Sponsor 2019

As promised, I got everything up and running today. I'm limited on space, so had to get creative with the placement/mounting. I've run two tests so far with a result of roughly 5.5 dKH in each test. I double checked with a Hanna dKH checker (with reference solution) and got about 5.6 dKH. Not to bad given that they say to run 2-3 tests to break the unit in. Definitely need to get my dosing back on track after the tank move! I'll admit that it's quite loud compared to other equipment that I've used. I do like that they are using a concentrated reagent, which makes it affordable. The downside is having to mix up the reagent solution yourself, but that isn't too hard or time consuming. Overall, I'm happy so far :)
    alkatronic2.JPG

Silver14SS, GoVols and smartwater101 like this.
  5. smartwater101

smartwater101 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

NICE!

Yeah, the noise isn't so bad when in the stand, but I image it being a bit much when sitting next to your workstation. Especially if you're doing a lot of tests/day. You're neighbors are going to give you crap for sure lol

I do 3 Hanna and 3 Red Sea tests every now and then just to confirm its on track, and I'm really happy with its consistency.

GoVols likes this.
  6. GoVols

GoVols Cobb / Webb - 1989 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award MTRCMember Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

@Bulk Reef Supply

FYI:
    I picked this up on a Alkatronic document, from Focustronic's website:

If your pumps C and A are loud, take the back panel off the unit.

Un-tighten the C and A pump's screws by 1/4 of a full turn.

Then screw back on the back panel.

Worked like a charm for me on those two pumps. As quiet or quieter than DOS.

(lol)
    That small pump B is a screamer... :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Breadman03 and HolisticBear like this.
  7. vangvace

vangvace Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I like the idea. Put all three on the same tank with the same testing schedule for all 3 and see how they compare at 3, 6, and 12 months. Document device maintenance, like reagent swaps, pH probe recalibrations, etc.

You could add in the Hanna checker and maybe the super fancy lab test as a reference for how accurate each product measures over time.

GoVols and smartwater101 like this.
  8. ReeferBud

ReeferBud Active Member

Glad to see @Bulk Reef Supply testing the Alkatronic.

I would also be interested in a BRS video comparing the different auto testing units in the market. There was another one made but it was biased, to say the least.

After doing my own research, I’m pretty much decided on the Alkatronic. The difference of reagent cost did it for me. Spending just $30-40 on reagents per year vs $270 + 100-150$ maintenance send-in For the Trident was the deal breaker for me.

9. Breadman03

Breadman03 Valuable Member Catskill Reef Member

That's pretty much where I stand. I'm not in a position to buy now, but hope to be within a year or so. I also need to reboot my tank to rid it of aptasia and vermiteds.

SneakyTortuga, GoVols and ReeferBud like this.
  10. GoVols

FWIW:

Was able to make contact with Focustronic, using my wife's Facebook.

They moved on from their other forum.

Draft saved Draft deleted